DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
I need your opinion to whoever reads this, I have my GP forms waiting to be scanned back into the dvla system so my decision should be in the coming weeks. However I just read my medical records and I don't personally think it's anything bad for wanted an opinion (anxiety through the roof while I await the decision). I have nothing on alcohol. I actually have either 0 or 1 unit of alcohol a week on my records when I've been asked. However... I have just read the doctor said 'Occasional alcohol use when she has childcare'. That's all it says. Does this seem okay if the DVLA read that?

That makes you look responsible I’d say. You only drink when you have no responsibilities and and unit wise? You’ve declared a very small amount and so it seems you rarely drink and when you do? It’s only when there’s no responsibility and even then a sensible amount

Hi all quick update, after contacting my local mp and having a letter sent I was made a priority case , good news all I am getting my licence back 😀 it’s been an emotional journey. For all users of this fantastic forum I wish you luck on the road to getting your lives back. After 12 weeks contact your mp because I really does make a difference

That makes you look responsible I’d say. You only drink when you have no responsibilities and and unit wise? You’ve declared a very small amount and so it seems you rarely drink and when you do? It’s only when there’s no responsibility and even then a sensible amount
Thank you. Been having massive anxiety about it all today so needed to hear that - thanks!!

Thank you. Been having massive anxiety about it all today so needed to hear that - thanks!!
It’s normal to worry and overly ott on the anxiety card but I’m not just saying this to reassure you but seeing it objectively…I honestly believe you’re fine…we tend to overthink because you see everything as a double meaning but sometimes there isn’t a double meaning 👍

It’s normal to worry and overly ott on the anxiety card but I’m not just saying this to reassure you but seeing it objectively…I honestly believe you’re fine…we tend to overthink because you see everything as a double meaning but sometimes there isn’t a double meaning 👍
You're so right. Thank you for bringing me back down to earth! I'm definitely over thinking (and winding my husband up while I'm at it lol). Your reply means a lot! ❤️

You're so right. Thank you for bringing me back down to earth! I'm definitely over thinking (and winding my husband up while I'm at it lol). Your reply means a lot! ❤️
You’re very welcome. I myself am an overthinker and when it’s down to me? I think of all the worst case scenarios but it’s easier to see things a little clearer when you yourself are not in the mix. I honestly think you’ll be fine x

End of the day…they’re looking out for alcohol misuse…in terms of binging or going over units…you’re on minimal units. They’re not checking to see if you drink or not. Or alcohol dependence…based on your info…there’s no record of that. So no need to worry. They need to base their decision on facts.

End of the day…they’re looking out for alcohol misuse…in terms of binging or going over units…you’re on minimal units. They’re not checking to see if you drink or not. Or alcohol dependence…based on your info…there’s no record of that. So no need to worry. They need to base their decision on facts.
Yes. I said at my medical though that my last drink was 6 units, 6.5 weeks prior to the medical. It was a 30th birthday and was careful as I knew what was coming. But I worry that even say 6 units then will make them class me as a misuser. I think they contacted my GP as I had to tick yes to mental health. Not been on medication since June last year. I just stopped and didn't go back to them for a prescription. I'm just hoping I'm seen as okay through mental health more than anything x

Last edited:
Yes. I said at my medical though that my last drink was 6 units, 6.5 weeks prior to the medical. It was a 30th birthday I was at and was careful as I knew what was coming. But I worry that even say 6 units then will make them class me as a misuser. Thei think contacted my GP as I had to tick yes to mental health. Not been on medication since June last year. I just stopped and didn't go back to them for a prescription. I'm just hoping I'm seeing as okay through mental health more than anything x
6 units is the limit for one singular occasion so you’ll be fine x

Hey everyone.
Sorry to jump on. I can't seem to find the make new post button as per the instructions.

So, I was an idiot and blew 97 in dec 21. I got a 2 year ban reduced by 6 months on completion of the course.

I know I need to do a CDT due the amount I blew. 2 things are worrying me..

I have no history of alcohol abuse but I have drank with friends probably about 50 times in the last 18 months... is this going to deem me as a misuser of alcohol?

What level CDT will I be needing to get below? The 0.6? Or the 2.2?

I'm abstaining from alcohol whilst I wait for my letter to arrive letting me know where I can book my CDT..

2nd thing..is the waiting process... I sent my d1 off 2 weeks ago. My ban ends on 28th Sept...how long do you think it will take for the medical letter to arrive and for them to process my results?

Thanks for reading if you've got this far 😙😙

Hey everyone.
Sorry to jump on. I can't seem to find the make new post button as per the instructions.

So, I was an idiot and blew 97 in dec 21. I got a 2 year ban reduced by 6 months on completion of the course.

I know I need to do a CDT due the amount I blew. 2 things are worrying me..

I have no history of alcohol abuse but I have drank with friends probably about 50 times in the last 18 months... is this going to deem me as a misuser of alcohol?

What level CDT will I be needing to get below? The 0.6? Or the 2.2?

I'm abstaining from alcohol whilst I wait for my letter to arrive letting me know where I can book my CDT..

2nd thing..is the waiting process... I sent my d1 off 2 weeks ago. My ban ends on 28th Sept...how long do you think it will take for the medical letter to arrive and for them to process my results?

Thanks for reading if you've got this far 😙😙
Whatever you do, do not admit to them about 50 odd times you've drank with friends the past 18 months. They will revoke your licence and class you as either a misuser or dependant and you'll have to abstain and prove to your doctor over a period of 6 or 12 months of no drinking before you can apply for your licence again.

You have to get below 1.6 on the CDT to be classed in the 'green zone' and to have passed it. I abstained for 6.5 weeks but still don't know my score. I'll update that once I know.

My ban ran out 15 days ago and I'm still waiting on a decision on my licence. My medical was booked only 10 days before my ban ended (4th August) and ban end was 14th August. I sent off my D1 on 16th May. They wrote to my GP after my medical as I had to tick yes on the DVLA medical questionnaire to having mental health issues (postnatal depression) in the past 3 years. When/if they contact your GP, it prolongs the process hence why I'm still waiting on a decision about my licence.

Last edited:
Whatever you do, do not admit to them about 50 odd times you've drank with friends the 18 months. They will revoke your licence and class you as either a misuser or dependant and you'll have to abstain and prove to your doctor over a period of 6 or 12 months of no drinking before you can apply for your licence again.

You have to get below 1.6 on the CDT to be classed in the 'green zone' and to have passed it. I abstained for 6.5 weeks but still don't know my score. I'll update that once I know.

My ban ran out 15 days ago and I'm still waiting on a decision on my licence. My medical was booked only 10 days before my ban ended (4th August) and ban end was 14th August. I sent off my D1 on 16th May. They wrote to my GP after my medical as I had to tick yes on the DVLA medical questionnaire to having mental health issues (postnatal depression) in the past 3 years. When/if they contact your GP, it prolongs the process hence why I'm still waiting on a decision about my licence.
Thanks so much for replying.

I'm so scared about this medical. I don't drink regularly and I'd say a handful of times I drank over 6units. What should I answer to that question?

I really hope you hear back soon! Fingers crossed it won't be much longer for you. I can't wait to put this nightmare behind me

Thanks so much for replying.

I'm so scared about this medical. I don't drink regularly and I'd say a handful of times I drank over 6units. What should I answer to that question?

I really hope you hear back soon! Fingers crossed it won't be much longer for you. I can't wait to put this nightmare behind me
I know someone said they drank over 6 units 4 times the past year and it didn't affect them. I've said twice that I've had over 6 units in one sitting. Hubby's and best friends 30th birthdays.

I know how you feel - It is scary and a very anxious time on the run up to it. I'm very anxious right now knowing my decision is looming once my paperwork is finally scanned back onto the system (it's not yet unfortunately). I'm calling every working day for an update! Just take it day by day. If you feel better for it, abstain from now. You'll go into your medical confidently knowing for a fact you'll pass the CDT. You probably have a good 6-8 week wait for your medical I'd have thought so around same time as I abstained. You can go a shorter period of time as others have but as I get quite anxious, I wanted to confidently walk in knowing I would pass it!

I'm hoping to have an answer on my licence within the next couple of weeks.. Fingers crossed!! X

Sent my renewal application on 20th February. They wrote to my doctor around mid June.... still waiting 🤣🤣🤣. Might het my medical this year. I can drive under settings 88 this time at least... but still, this is an awfully long time.

Sent my renewal application on 20th February. They wrote to my doctor around mid June.... still waiting 🤣🤣🤣. Might het my medical this year. I can drive under settings 88 this time at least... but still, this is an awfully long time.
Bloody hell that's ages!! Are you applying after a temp licence?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off