DVLA Medical High Risk Offender Licence Application Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
So I got my 1 year licence, which is due to expire the end of this year. I've just found out that I have breast cancer and will be having chemotherapy. Does anyone know if this will effect my licence? Can I do a medical if I'm receiving chemo?! Will they extend my licence and I have a medical when I'm no longer having chemo?! Sorry it's slightly off topic

So I spoke to the Gestapo at my local GP practice today. They had a meeting and decided that the information on my medical records regarding alcohol dependency was factual and accurate. I asked them on what basis? Where is the factual evidence that I discussed alcohol dependency with a doctor. Where's the recording Where's the video, show me it. They couldn't Because the gp that wrote it, doesn't practice anymore. So there is absolutely NO way of proving these slanderous defamatory comments. I have informed them that I intend to take legal action. These accusations of alcohol dependency and or misuse are damaging. There's worse on my gp record, however I've not questioned it, because it's factual. Excuse my language but I'm F**KING raging. To think you have absolutely not control over what they write about you, and who they share it with. Just wondering now if there is anyway I can continue to get medication without belonging to a snake in the grass medical Gestapo

So I spoke to the Gestapo at my local GP practice today. They had a meeting and decided that the information on my medical records regarding alcohol dependency was factual and accurate. I asked them on what basis? Where is the factual evidence that I discussed alcohol dependency with a doctor. Where's the recording Where's the video, show me it. They couldn't Because the gp that wrote it, doesn't practice anymore. So there is absolutely NO way of proving these slanderous defamatory comments. I have informed them that I intend to take legal action. These accusations of alcohol dependency and or misuse are damaging. There's worse on my gp record, however I've not questioned it, because it's factual. Excuse my language but I'm F**KING raging. To think you have absolutely not control over what they write about you, and who they share it with. Just wondering now if there is anyway I can continue to get medication without belonging to a snake in the grass medical Gestapo
Well there is unlikely to be a recording but they would surely be expected to have recorded in writing / provide to you, some details re how this assessment has been arrived at. Eg details of appointment that led to GP writing this, why you were there , what was discussed/ information on which judgement was based etc etc. I think I’d write to them expressing unhappiness and asking for written confirmation of the above etc.

Well there is unlikely to be a recording but they would surely be expected to have recorded in writing / provide to you, some details re how this assessment has been arrived at. Eg details of appointment that led to GP writing this, why you were there , what was discussed/ information on which judgement was based etc etc. I think I’d write to them expressing unhappiness and asking for written confirmation of the above etc.
Oh I know there is no recording or video evidence I was being pedantic. I am already on the case. I'm like a dog with a bone.

So I have my medical records for the last 3 years. Mental health...had two meetings with physiologist March 2021. Agreed no further treatment required.
Citilopram 20mg ended April 2021, in reality it was on repeat prescription and hadn't used it in over a year.

All LFT tests for 3 years. About 15 in total. Two raised...both during bad case of covid.
1 month later LFT normalised.

All medications last 3 years
Only citilopram, as mentioned above....also lansoprozol for gastric reflux.
And lastly, Candesartin for high blood pressure, which has been controlled for 3 years.

Alcohol dependency/misuse suspected but not proven 6 years ago.

Just rang Dvla again. Finally they have all the forms scanned so it’s decision time finally!!
I’ll be in a big pile of paperwork waiting waiting waiting!!
Oh come on plz Dvla I need my car for work. I’ve had it with public transport that’s for sure & I live in a city with good public transport!!
But there’s getting my tools to the job or there’s always that one job where it’ll take 2 or 3 buses to get there.
I’ve certainly learnt my lesson. No more drinking then driving ever again!! The ban is the easy part. The stress starts when the medicals start arghhhhhhh!! 😱😱😵‍💫😵

Just rang Dvla again. Finally they have all the forms scanned so it’s decision time finally!!
I’ll be in a big pile of paperwork waiting waiting waiting!!
Oh come on plz Dvla I need my car for work. I’ve had it with public transport that’s for sure & I live in a city with good public transport!!
But there’s getting my tools to the job or there’s always that one job where it’ll take 2 or 3 buses to get there.
I’ve certainly learnt my lesson. No more drinking then driving ever again!! The ban is the easy part. The stress starts when the medicals start arghhhhhhh!! 😱😱😵‍💫😵
Good luck fella I hope the end is in sight

So I got my 1 year licence, which is due to expire the end of this year. I've just found out that I have breast cancer and will be having chemotherapy. Does anyone know if this will effect my licence? Can I do a medical if I'm receiving chemo?! Will they extend my licence and I have a medical when I'm no longer having chemo?! Sorry it's slightly off topic
I think it would be pretty heartless of them to deny your medical on the grounds of chemo. But then we are talking about DVLA. Hopefully they won't object. And by the way best wishes to you, I can't imagine how you feel. It puts all this licence business in perspective. Genuinely hope you get through everything OK. Good luck 😊

I have been reading posts on this forum for quite a few months now and began to get a bit despondent as others seemed to be getting their licenses back really quickly. My ban ended 17 June. I sent off my d1 exactly 90 days prior. I got my medical letter through the end of June and had my medical 6 July. Dvla doctor was very positive. But I had to tick yes to mental health. He told me it wouldn't be an issue as it wasn't related to the incident. Fast forward to 20 July. Get a letter that they are writing to my gp. Panic sets in. I spoke to my doctor straight after the arrest so was worried if alcohol would be noted and therefore could be seen as misuse/dependent. About 10 days later doctors confirmed it had been sent back to dvla. Today I rang them and only had to wait about 30 seconds before the phone was answered. Lovely woman. She told me that today my file had been sent on for the final decision and I should hear in a few days but to keep checking on line. That was 9am. Checked at 3pm and I have my full license back 😁😁😁 can start driving again tomorrow. So quickly got insurance which wasn't as painful as I thought it would be. That has honestly been the worst 20 months of my entire life.

I have been reading posts on this forum for quite a few months now and began to get a bit despondent as others seemed to be getting their licenses back really quickly. My ban ended 17 June. I sent off my d1 exactly 90 days prior. I got my medical letter through the end of June and had my medical 6 July. Dvla doctor was very positive. But I had to tick yes to mental health. He told me it wouldn't be an issue as it wasn't related to the incident. Fast forward to 20 July. Get a letter that they are writing to my gp. Panic sets in. I spoke to my doctor straight after the arrest so was worried if alcohol would be noted and therefore could be seen as misuse/dependent. About 10 days later doctors confirmed it had been sent back to dvla. Today I rang them and only had to wait about 30 seconds before the phone was answered. Lovely woman. She told me that today my file had been sent on for the final decision and I should hear in a few days but to keep checking on line. That was 9am. Checked at 3pm and I have my full license back 😁😁😁 can start driving again tomorrow. So quickly got insurance which wasn't as painful as I thought it would be. That has honestly been the worst 20 months of my entire life.
Over the moon for you. I know how much this process takes out of you financially and mentally. I'm an hgv driver. So it's destroyed me. I should say, I destroyed myself. Your post gives hope to the rest of us. Well done 👏

That’s great news, nice to hear and happy driving!

Over the moon for you. I know how much this process takes out of you financially and mentally. I'm an hgv driver. So it's destroyed me. I should say, I destroyed myself. Your post gives hope to the rest of us. Well done 👏
Thank you. I think a couple of things helped. Firstly the dvla doctor I saw is a normal gp at a practise about 15 minutes from me and could get an appointment without any wait. Secondly and thanks to this forum on one bit I registered my last drink date with my own gp. And I live in quite a rural area so the GP surgery isn't very big so things get actioned quickly. I also have a good relationship with my gp because of my ongoing depression so she fully understood how important it was for me.

Thank you. I think a couple of things helped. Firstly the dvla doctor I saw is a normal gp at a practise about 15 minutes from me and could get an appointment without any wait. Secondly and thanks to this forum on one bit I registered my last drink date with my own gp. And I live in quite a rural area so the GP surgery isn't very big so things get actioned quickly. I also have a good relationship with my gp because of my ongoing depression so she fully understood how important it was for me.
I hear a lot of people registering their last drink. I do online consultations with my gp not sure when I said I stopped drinking. I think for an hgv driver you need to completely abstain as in never drink again, and have been dry for 3 years if your an hro. I could be wrong. Thanks for sharing, every little helps 😉

Having read quite a few posts/peoples different experiences I feel very fortunate to have got my full licence back a couple of weeks ago and to now be back on the road. I’m pretty sure my gp was not contacted because of the speed I got a decision but I know that during a routing health check 2-3 years ago there was a standard questionnaire and I truthfully admitted having 4-5 beers at the weekends. Pretty standard stuff really but in the eyes of the DVLA I can easily see how that could have been turned into a big problem for me re ‘passing’ my medical and getting my full licence.

Good luck to everyone who is still going through it. Keep your heads up and a positive mindset if you can!

Last edited:
Having read quite a few posts/peoples different experiences I feel very fortunate to have got my full licence back a couple of weeks ago and to now be back on the road. I’m pretty sure my gp was not contacted because of the speed I got a decision but I know that during a routing health check 2-3 years ago there was a standard questionnaire and I truthfully admitted having 4-5 beers at the weekends. Pretty standard stuff really but in the eyes of the DVLA I can easily see how that could have been turned into a big problem for me re ‘passing’ my medical and getting my full licence.

Good luck to everyone who is still going through it. Keep your heads up and a positive mindset if you can!
Exactly. You tell the doctors something totally innocently prior to getting arrested and that could change the whole outcome. When I saw my doctor straight after it happened I thought for the courts it would go in my favour if I spoke to a drink/drugs group which my doctor mentioned. I didn't have a problem with alcohol but wanted to do everything I could to look good. I feared that would be brought up and go against me with the dvla where it went in my favour with court. You really can't win.

Exactly. You tell the doctors something totally innocently prior to getting arrested and that could change the whole outcome. When I saw my doctor straight after it happened I thought for the courts it would go in my favour if I spoke to a drink/drugs group which my doctor mentioned. I didn't have a problem with alcohol but wanted to do everything I could to look good. I feared that would be brought up and go against me with the dvla where it went in my favour with court. You really can't win.
How true. Because of the horror stories on here. And how I've been screwed over by my own snake pit of a gp practice. I've told my sons never to disclose anything to their own gp's. Also if they ever go to hospital for anything. And the doctors or nurses say "do you want us to notify your gp?" NEVER say yes.

How true. Because of the horror stories on here. And how I've been screwed over by my own snake pit of a gp practice. I've told my sons never to disclose anything to their own gp's. Also if they ever go to hospital for anything. And the doctors or nurses say "do you want us to notify your gp?" NEVER say yes.
It really is a pit of destruction if anything happens 6 years prior. And the problem is we don't intend to drink drive. Case of shit happens. Yes we messed up in the one moment in time but should something we said 4 or 5 years ago to our gp effect getting our license back. I was risky paranoid because I had spoken to an addiction group suggested to me by my doctor 3 days after my arrest to make me look good in court. That could have seriously back fired on me with the dvla. You can not win

It really is a pit of destruction if anything happens 6 years prior. And the problem is we don't intend to drink drive. Case of shit happens. Yes we messed up in the one moment in time but should something we said 4 or 5 years ago to our gp effect getting our license back. I was risky paranoid because I had spoken to an addiction group suggested to me by my doctor 3 days after my arrest to make me look good in court. That could have seriously back fired on me with the dvla. You can not win
I feel your pain my gp suggested me to speak to a counsellor to show I am taking care of my mental health.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off