Help!

Convicted Driver Insurance

Dovi88

Well Known Member
Hi All,

Been following the forum for a while but thought I would ask for some help…

I got banned in Aug-19 for 3 years, it was my second time (1st was about 11 years previously).

I generally drink 3-4 cans of beer on a night sometimes a little more however can take it or leave it, makes my 2 hour train journey less boring! I have stopped this last week awaiting for my medical which is the end of August so happy that even though it was regular my CDT levels will be somewhat back to normal.

On the medical questionnaire you fill out it states have you misused alcohol within the last 6 years… about the time of the offence I was admitted to hospital after an excess binge and written on hospital notes were scary numbers of units looking back, never again. I later had a follow up LFT which was around 2 1/2 years ago now which showed my bloods completely clear, when the DVLA contact the GP is it completely random so if I say no to all questions they may still contact them?

Crapping myself as my ban is up the end of August and got a little ahead of myself so ordered a new car to arrive the start of September so want to minimise any delays and definitely want to avoid any chance of being refused.

Appreciate any help 👍

Hi @Ianmac88 - good news that your ban is almost up.

As far as I understand it, it depends if you were classed as a HRO (High Risk Offiender)- if so, I think you have to prove you have been abstinent for 1 year. If you had completely clear bloods 2 and a half years ago then this should be picked up by the DVLA from your GP, I think as long as your GP does not have any blood results that prove you are back on the alcohol you might be ok. If you have passed another LFT test recently that bodes well. I think in all you have to prove 1 year's abstinence for a HRO, I guess this is via your GP.

But I am no expert so someone else with experience may be able to give you a better insight. I just did a bit of research as I know when I go to court I will be a HRO and wanted to understand the consequences.

Good luck I wish you all the best!

Normally the questionnaire would ask 2 questions. (1) has there been any alcohol dependency within the past 3 or 6 years, it will then ask has this been controlled and for how long - If you were dependent and your medical notes show you as dependent you would be required to show complete abstinence for 12 months - a CDT level of 1.6 or lower would indicate moderate or no drinking (as anything ranging from 1.6 or lower is considered to show moderate or no drinking at all) (2) has there been any alcohol misuse in the past 3 years - if you are considered to have misused alcohol, i.e., did not drink every day but intermittently as a coping mechanism or binge drinking then the required period of control is 6 months - according the site drinkdriving.org the follow CDT levels would be required to pass the medical.

For drivers with a history of alcohol dependence

GREEN - %CDT = below 1.7%

A CDT level below 1.7% suggests no recent alcohol intake. This means that a CDT level up to and including 1.6% would be acceptable as evidence of there being no recent alcohol intake in someone classed as alcohol dependent.

RED - %CDT = 1.7% - 2.2% or more

A CDT level between 1.7% and 2.2% or more suggests recent excess alcohol intake.

For drivers with a history of alcohol misuse

A CDT level of up to 2.2% is acceptable as evidence of controlled drinking in someone with a previous history of alcohol misuse only. Otherwise the amber levels below would apply.

For drivers with no history of alcohol dependence or misuse

GREEN - %CDT = 2.2% or less

Normally the questionnaire would ask 2 questions. (1) has there been any alcohol dependency within the past 3 or 6 years, it will then ask has this been controlled and for how long - If you were dependent and your medical notes show you as dependent you would be required to show complete abstinence for 12 months - a CDT level of 1.6 or lower would indicate moderate or no drinking (as anything ranging from 1.6 or lower is considered to show moderate or no drinking at all) (2) has there been any alcohol misuse in the past 3 years - if you are considered to have misused alcohol, i.e., did not drink every day but intermittently as a coping mechanism or binge drinking then the required period of control is 6 months - according the site drinkdriving.org the follow CDT levels would be required to pass the medical.

For drivers with a history of alcohol dependence

GREEN - %CDT = below 1.7%

A CDT level below 1.7% suggests no recent alcohol intake. This means that a CDT level up to and including 1.6% would be acceptable as evidence of there being no recent alcohol intake in someone classed as alcohol dependent.

RED - %CDT = 1.7% - 2.2% or more

A CDT level between 1.7% and 2.2% or more suggests recent excess alcohol intake.

For drivers with a history of alcohol misuse

A CDT level of up to 2.2% is acceptable as evidence of controlled drinking in someone with a previous history of alcohol misuse only. Otherwise the amber levels below would apply.

For drivers with no history of alcohol dependence or misuse

GREEN - %CDT = 2.2% or less
@JayJay46 thanks mate, I will probably fall under the misuse, was binging back when I originally got caught however not being dependent will hopefully show through on the notes as I wasn’t treated for dependancy and would of not had a drink for 6 weeks prior to the test! Hopefully the CDT results reflect that…

Appreciate the reply and 🤞 as there are some absolute horror stories on here and seems completely random however everyone’s situation is slightly different!

@JayJay46 thanks mate, I will probably fall under the misuse, was binging back when I originally got caught however not being dependent will hopefully show through on the notes as I wasn’t treated for dependancy and would of not had a drink for 6 weeks prior to the test! Hopefully the CDT results reflect that…

Appreciate the reply and 🤞 as there are some absolute horror stories on here and seems completely random however everyone’s situation is slightly different!
No worries - If you look up http://www.viapath.co.uk/our-tests/carbohydrate-deficient-transferrin-cdt and http://www.viapath.co.uk/sites/default/files/upload/BloodSciences/cdt report2.pdf

It may put your mind at rest - Viapath are the lab that process the DVLA medical blood tests. I trust their information over sites like Wikipedia, which some people quote from on here.

Hi @Ianmac88 - good news that your ban is almost up.

As far as I understand it, it depends if you were classed as a HRO (High Risk Offiender)- if so, I think you have to prove you have been abstinent for 1 year. If you had completely clear bloods 2 and a half years ago then this should be picked up by the DVLA from your GP, I think as long as your GP does not have any blood results that prove you are back on the alcohol you might be ok. If you have passed another LFT test recently that bodes well. I think in all you have to prove 1 year's abstinence for a HRO, I guess this is via your GP.

But I am no expert so someone else with experience may be able to give you a better insight. I just did a bit of research as I know when I go to court I will be a HRO and wanted to understand the consequences.

Good luck I wish you all the best!
Hi Sonar,

Yes classed as a HRO blew a 3 digit number. I’m hoping the historic LFT and a good CDT result bodes well and its all smooth sailing (I doubt it)!

Good luck with court and keep us posted, best of luck!

While I think most accept the "official guidelines" are quite puritan...

"I generally drink 3-4 cans of beer on a night sometimes a little more..."

Assuming an average of four cans @ 2.2 units, that's 61.6 units a week - certainly on the high side.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off