Hro medical (your experiences)

Convicted Driver Insurance
just got out my medica.
this is the events

caught DD august 18.. crashed and blew 131
court 9th jan 19
3 year ban reduced to 30 months with course
classed as dependant as binge drinked at weekends!
went to medical march last year... wasnt on the forum so didnt know i had to abstain for a year
admitted having a few beers occasionally
banned for another year

just got out my medical this morning
5 minutes from going in to getting out
asked for height, weight, when last drink was, and if id had a crash due to DD, and also about if im on any medication( im on citalopram)
took bloods
DONE

i asked at the end how the questionaire was and she said theres nothing that will stop me getting my licence back, its down to the CDT score

my question is... i keep reading that you have to prove your abstinance by LFT etc... who asks for this? the dvla or the medical doctor? i phoned dvla a month ago and she said i didnt need to and my doctor said shed never heard of having to do that either?

ANY ADVICE GUYS??

what timescale are the results from dvla medical department coming back at now??
Few weeks. Ur probably good somlong as you didnt admit to taking drugs in last 3 years. Dont know about the drugs ur taking at the moment but probably ok. If they arnt sure they will ask for urine test next via same clinic usually.

Few weeks. Ur probably good somlong as you didnt admit to taking drugs in last 3 years. Dont know about the drugs ur taking at the moment but probably ok. If they arnt sure they will ask for urine test next via same clinic usually.
i said no to the drug question but yes to the mental health question

just got out my medica.
this is the events

caught DD august 18.. crashed and blew 131
court 9th jan 19
3 year ban reduced to 30 months with course
classed as dependant as binge drinked at weekends!
went to medical march last year... wasnt on the forum so didnt know i had to abstain for a year
admitted having a few beers occasionally
banned for another year

just got out my medical this morning
5 minutes from going in to getting out
asked for height, weight, when last drink was, and if id had a crash due to DD, and also about if im on any medication( im on citalopram)
took bloods
DONE

i asked at the end how the questionaire was and she said theres nothing that will stop me getting my licence back, its down to the CDT score

my question is... i keep reading that you have to prove your abstinance by LFT etc... who asks for this? the dvla or the medical doctor? i phoned dvla a month ago and she said i didnt need to and my doctor said shed never heard of having to do that either?

ANY ADVICE GUYS??

what timescale are the results from dvla medical department coming back at now??
You can pretty much take it as read that the DVLA will contact your GP re drug misuse and alcohol dependency.

The urine test will clear up any drug issues, but if you think about it, the only way you can 'prove' you have not been drinking for a year is either via Liver Function Tests or CDT Tests, and both need to be organised by your GP for you in order to keep the 'chain of custrody,' intact.

I would go back to your GP and ask for at least one but LFT to be done now before the DVLA write to them. That will give the GP some basis for confirming your abstinence.

Good luck.

Hi, I’m just looking for a timescale of other peoples experiences. Ban ended on the 24th of July. Went to see gp 29th as the dvla wrote to him. I keep calling dvla to ask if they have received the questionnaire off my doctor, they keep fobbing me off saying it can take 10 working days for it to show on the system 😩 can anyone give me any advice or a timescale of when they got their license back after this?? Thank you!

Hi, I’m just looking for a timescale of other peoples experiences. Ban ended on the 24th of July. Went to see gp 29th as the dvla wrote to him. I keep calling dvla to ask if they have received the questionnaire off my doctor, they keep fobbing me off saying it can take 10 working days for it to show on the system 😩 can anyone give me any advice or a timescale of when they got their license back after this?? Thank you!
It's hit and miss it seems.. I've been told they wrote to my GP 2 days ago so it's not arrived with my GP yet. I've been looking up timelines myself of the past but there's no real pattern as everyone's case is different.
Mind me asking if you ticked no to everything? I ticked yes to mental health so I'm assuming this is why they've contacted them... My ban ends on Sunday. I can't wait to get my licence back!!

Reactions: NCV
It's hit and miss it seems.. I've been told they wrote to my GP 2 days ago so it's not arrived with my GP yet. I've been looking up timelines myself of the past but there's no real pattern as everyone's case is different.
Mind me asking if you ticked no to everything? I ticked yes to mental health so I'm assuming this is why they've contacted them... My ban ends on Sunday. I can't wait to get my licence back!!
It’s so so annoying! My gp called me in when he received the letter from the dvla and said he would send it asap, but it’s been 10 working days today that I saw him.. and still nothing on the dvla system 😩 might be worth me calling my doctors surgery to see when it was sent back to them.. yes ticked yes to mental health and no to everything else.. so annoying isn’t it, we do our time and then are still punished because dvla haven’t got there arses in gear!

It’s so so annoying! My gp called me in when he received the letter from the dvla and said he would send it asap, but it’s been 10 working days today that I saw him.. and still nothing on the dvla system 😩 might be worth me calling my doctors surgery to see when it was sent back to them.. yes ticked yes to mental health and no to everything else.. so annoying isn’t it, we do our time and then are still punished because dvla haven’t got there arses in gear!
Takes a few weeks usually, i always ask rhey post things recorded delivery. Same with anything i post to dvla. If u cant get through on the ohone then uts the only way to know they have it at least

Just keep calling the dvla. If you called this morning, call this afternoon to see if its been scanned onto the system now. Once I know they have the gp forms back I'll be onto them every single day for a decision!!

Just keep calling the dvla. If you called this morning, call this afternoon to see if its been scanned onto the system now. Once I know they have the gp forms back I'll be onto them every single day for a decision!!
I’ve called them every other day for an update since I’ve been to my gp.. useless aren’t they

Dvla medical department, press 1 then 2
It just says busy please call back, if you want an update and you allready sent a reply by post just chill the f out and wait. Then hangs up
Or something along those lines.

Maybe its not as busy now. Ill try again soon

Hi I get through most the time. Option 1 then 2 then 2 again. It can take 10 minutes on hold but hey ho!!
They’ve got my bloods results, 0.9%.
They’ve got my GPs questionnaire.
They’ve had my DG1 form back.
They’ve had my urine test results too.
All scanned onto the system, so it’s a waiting game now 🤦
I’m on hold now cos I wanna know what’s the hold up??
I was told I’m a priority as my ban was finished February 2018, but due to a drug issue & covid stopping medicals being done I’ve had to wait.
I applied in March for my licence. May I received the letter to book my first medical. June 13th medical done. A week later GP was contacted, as was I to fill out a DG1 form about my drug use. Mid July GP forms scanned onto system, along with my DG1 form. July 28th rang them & was told I have been sent a letter to book a urine test medical. Didn’t wait for the letter just went ahead & booked it for the 8th August.
Rang Dvla yesterday, was told they have my urine results, just waiting on a decision now!!
I’m ringing every weekday now til I hear a result. Should be alright as I’ve been clean from drugs since 2020, after being on them 3 years during my ban. CDT score was low, as I only drink at the end of the month on payday!! My GP report was good, he said I scored low on his forms. Urine sample will be negative so hopefully any week now I should get some news, yayyyyyy…
I just want my work van back & the all important fuel card.
Finally I can see the light at the end of the tunnel oi oi… 💪
Still on hold!! 26 minutes so far 🤷‍♂️

Mind me asking if you ticked no to everything? I ticked yes to mental health so I'm assuming this is why they've contacted them... My ban ends on Sunday. I can't wait to get my licence back!
Here's my timeline from start to finish. The only real 'imponderable' is the time it took my GP to return the form.

ACTIONDAYSCOMMENT
Licence Applied For
15/07/2021​
Application form Rec'd from DVLA
27/07/2021​
Called
24/08/2021​
Cheque Cashed
31/08/2021​
Called
03/09/2021​
Medical Letter Received
14/09/2021​
Medical
30/09/2021​
Driving Ban Ends
12/10/2021​
89Date when my driving ban ended.
Called
19/10/2021​
96Told by handler that everything had been received and was with medical section
Called
12/11/2021​
120Told the CDT DR1 form was missing and that Doctor had been contacted - 1.5 hour call
Called Doctor - Glasgow Medical Rooms
12/11/2021​
120They sent everything back on the 30th Sept stapled together. They have received NO communication from DVLA regarding missing forms
Called DVLA again
13/11/2021​
121Told that 'everything was in hand' and I would be contacted asap. No idea what that means or where this leaves myself.
Called Doctor to see if DVLA had been in touch with them.
17/11/2021​
125No contact from DVLA but was told that they had a copy of my form on file and they would Fax it to DVLA today. This is contrary to what they told me last week when they sadi they do not retain copies. This info could have been faxed on the 12/22/2021. Not happy.
Letter from DVLA dated 16/11/2021 saying they had writtent to my GP.
19/11/2021​
127Received a letter from DVLA dated the 16th November saying they now had all the information from the Dr. who carried out my DVLA medical and that they had written to my GP for additional health info. Strange that when I called on the 12th November I was told the CDT DR1 from was missing and it was only on the 17th November that Dr. faxed it to the DVLA again. Someone, somewhere is telling porkies.
GP confirmed they had received a letter from DVLA
01/12/2021​
GP returned letter to DVLA
24/01/2022​
Contacted DVLA
03/02/2022​
203Letter not yet on system. Takes 10 days from receipt. Told to call back then.
Licence Returned
10/02/2022​
2101 year licence - but who cares.

Here's my timeline from start to finish. The only real 'imponderable' is the time it took my GP to return the form.

ACTIONDAYSCOMMENT
Licence Applied For
15/07/2021​
Application form Rec'd from DVLA
27/07/2021​
Called
24/08/2021​
Cheque Cashed
31/08/2021​
Called
03/09/2021​
Medical Letter Received
14/09/2021​
Medical
30/09/2021​
Driving Ban Ends
12/10/2021​
89Date when my driving ban ended.
Called
19/10/2021​
96Told by handler that everything had been received and was with medical section
Called
12/11/2021​
120Told the CDT DR1 form was missing and that Doctor had been contacted - 1.5 hour call
Called Doctor - Glasgow Medical Rooms
12/11/2021​
120They sent everything back on the 30th Sept stapled together. They have received NO communication from DVLA regarding missing forms
Called DVLA again
13/11/2021​
121Told that 'everything was in hand' and I would be contacted asap. No idea what that means or where this leaves myself.
Called Doctor to see if DVLA had been in touch with them.
17/11/2021​
125No contact from DVLA but was told that they had a copy of my form on file and they would Fax it to DVLA today. This is contrary to what they told me last week when they sadi they do not retain copies. This info could have been faxed on the 12/22/2021. Not happy.
Letter from DVLA dated 16/11/2021 saying they had writtent to my GP.
19/11/2021​
127Received a letter from DVLA dated the 16th November saying they now had all the information from the Dr. who carried out my DVLA medical and that they had written to my GP for additional health info. Strange that when I called on the 12th November I was told the CDT DR1 from was missing and it was only on the 17th November that Dr. faxed it to the DVLA again. Someone, somewhere is telling porkies.
GP confirmed they had received a letter from DVLA
01/12/2021​
GP returned letter to DVLA
24/01/2022​
Contacted DVLA
03/02/2022​
203Letter not yet on system. Takes 10 days from receipt. Told to call back then.
Licence Returned
10/02/2022​
2101 year licence - but who cares.
Wow what a mess the DVLA are! Such a pain for you however congrats..

Why only a 1 year license? Did you have high CDT levels?

Wow what a mess the DVLA are! Such a pain for you however congrats..

Why only a 1 year license? Did you have high CDT levels?
No, 2nd offence in 3 years. First banned April 2017, caught again in July 2019 and banned again. I was HRO from the first ban but did get a 10 year licence that time. This time they unsurprisingly don't trust me, so a 1 year it is.

I haven't had a drink now for over 3 years so I am hoping that I will get at least 5 year on that will take me up to 70. (scary typing that age. :):):))

No, 2nd offence in 3 years. First banned April 2017, caught again in July 2019 and banned again. I was HRO from the first ban but did get a 10 year licence that time. This time they unsurprisingly don't trust me, so a 1 year it is.

I haven't had a drink now for over 3 years so I am hoping that I will get at least 5 year on that will take me up to 70. (scary typing that age. :):):))
Great news! Better than nothing.. I am the same, second offense so I imagine I’ll only get one year to… what happens after the year is up? Can you keep driving but have to do the medical again?

Great news! Better than nothing.. I am the same, second offense so I imagine I’ll only get one year to… what happens after the year is up? Can you keep driving but have to do the medical again?
You have to start the whole process again reapplying another medical in most cases :rolleyes: Once they receive your paper work you can drive on a section 88 if you meet the criteria.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off