DVLA requirements for alcohol misuse or dependence.

Convicted Driver Insurance
Thank you! That's made me feel better. Well if I keep on at it I will be 9 months sober by the end of my ban so at least I will have some time under my belt! Cheers.

Hi, could anyone tell me how long someone needs to abstinence to have a clear LFT test please ? Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi, could anyone tell me how long someone needs to abstinence to have a clear LFT test please ? Any help would be much appreciated.
Depends. I've just had my bloods done to add a bit of weight to my case for when the DVLA contact my GP. All the result said was 'Bloods normal - no action'. The liver is one of the quickest repairing organs we have, but that's only if you've not already battered it into being past the point of no return. Once it's knackered, it's knackered. Just do a minimum of a whole month off the booze and see how you get on.

There really isn't an answer to this as it depends on many factors.

a) How long you have been drinking
b) How much you regularly drink
c) How damaged your liver is
d) Your individual metabolism and genetic makeup

The short answer is 'as long as possible.'

I had my LFT 2 years 3 months after I stopped drinking and it was okay. My CDT score was 0.30%.

There really isn't an answer to this as it depends on many factors.

a) How long you have been drinking
b) How much you regularly drink
c) How damaged your liver is
d) Your individual metabolism and genetic makeup

The short answer is 'as long as possible.'

I had my LFT 2 years 3 months after I stopped drinking and it was okay. My CDT score was 0.30%.
Oh no not looking great for me then, I only stopped drinking a little over 2 weeks ago, I was binge drinking so 5,6,7 days at a time, Then a week off.
I eat quite healthy and have taking milk thistle, thiamine and vitamins, in the hope of giving myself a bit of a detox. Any idea if I should wait a few weeks before an LFT or months ?

Depends. I've just had my bloods done to add a bit of weight to my case for when the DVLA contact my GP. All the result said was 'Bloods normal - no action'. The liver is one of the quickest repairing organs we have, but that's only if you've not already battered it into being past the point of no return. Once it's knackered, it's knackered. Just do a minimum of a whole month off the booze and see how you get on.
Hi Norts thanks for getting back so quickly, I've abstinence for just over 2 weeks at the moment, I was binge drinking before 5 6,7 days then have a week or so not drinking at all. Thanks for the advice, I'll give it another 2 or 3 weeks then. Can you tell me how long it takes to book and have an LFT test done ?

Hi Norts thanks for getting back so quickly, I've abstinence for just over 2 weeks at the moment, I was binge drinking before 5 6,7 days then have a week or so not drinking at all. Thanks for the advice, I'll give it another 2 or 3 weeks then. Can you tell me how long it takes to book and have an LFT test done ?
I rang my GP and booked an appointment. This was a telephone one and took about a week. During that call I logged how long I'd been off the drink and asked to arrange a LFT test. About a week later I had to go in and get my bloods taken. Took 10mins, max. No questions were asked while I had my blood taken. The results of that come back in 24hrs. From what I was told the surgery will only contact you if there's any concerns. I rang them after 4 days to see what my notes said. Was all very easy.

Oh no not looking great for me then, I only stopped drinking a little over 2 weeks ago, I was binge drinking so 5,6,7 days at a time, Then a week off.
I eat quite healthy and have taking milk thistle, thiamine and vitamins, in the hope of giving myself a bit of a detox. Any idea if I should wait a few weeks before an LFT or months ?
Hi Dave. I think we are talking on another post. It's good that you have 2 weeks abstinence under your belt as your drinking patterns were not to dissimilar to my own. 2 weeks won't be enough to bring down your LFT's. You would need at least 8 weeks. BUt that's only one aspect, as you will need to reduce your CDT level for the DVLA medical. When are you planning on taking your DVLA medical?

Re your alcohol consumption. You were drinking alcoholically up until 2 weeks ago. Please seriously consider getting some help with your issues, as like me you will again end up drink driving. I have gone to AA since July 2019 and it helps me stay sober.

Good luck.

Hi Dave. I think we are talking on another post. It's good that you have 2 weeks abstinence under your belt as your drinking patterns were not to dissimilar to my own. 2 weeks won't be enough to bring down your LFT's. You would need at least 8 weeks. BUt that's only one aspect, as you will need to reduce your CDT level for the DVLA medical. When are you planning on taking your DVLA medical?

Re your alcohol consumption. You were drinking alcoholically up until 2 weeks ago. Please seriously consider getting some help with your issues, as like me you will again end up drink driving. I have gone to AA since July 2019 and it helps me stay sober.

Good luck.
Hi luna thanks for the quick response, I'm supposed to be getting a letter in the next few days, my ban ends on the 27th of july, I went to the hospital about a year ago about my drinking as I couldn't go to sleep without it, I kept having these funny turns.. I'm going to call my doctor today to see exactly what is on my medical records, as if it's dependency I think I need to have LFTS every 3 month's for a year, if it's misuse it's 6 months, I'm pretty sure it's going to be dependency which is really going to mess me up! If I knew I'd of stopped drinking as soon as my ban started, I didn't realise the DVLA would contact the doctor, I just thought I had to have a clear CDT, I'm bloody fuming! I've basically lost 9 month's and I think I've got to start from 2 weeks ago when I stopped drinking, and I'm going to have to wait another 6 weeks before I can have a LFT done then, by the sounds of things, do you think what I'm saying is correct or do you know otherwise ?
That's great your going to AA and it's working for you, do you drink at all anymore or not ?

If you can afford it, consider a Medichecks kit (ad for them is at the bottom of this page). It'll give you an idea of where your bloods are at without having to have it recorded in your GP's notes.

Hi luna thanks for the quick response, I'm supposed to be getting a letter in the next few days, my ban ends on the 27th of july, I went to the hospital about a year ago about my drinking as I couldn't go to sleep without it, I kept having these funny turns.. I'm going to call my doctor today to see exactly what is on my medical records, as if it's dependency I think I need to have LFTS every 3 month's for a year, if it's misuse it's 6 months, I'm pretty sure it's going to be dependency which is really going to mess me up! If I knew I'd of stopped drinking as soon as my ban started, I didn't realise the DVLA would contact the doctor, I just thought I had to have a clear CDT, I'm bloody fuming! I've basically lost 9 month's and I think I've got to start from 2 weeks ago when I stopped drinking, and I'm going to have to wait another 6 weeks before I can have a LFT done then, by the sounds of things, do you think what I'm saying is correct or do you know otherwise ?
That's great your going to AA and it's working for you, do you drink at all anymore or not ?
Dave, Norts is right. Get the Medichecks kit both for CDT and LFT (again if you can afford it.) They are accurate and will let you know the next step to take with your GP. Once you know the results I would speak with your GP in any case. Tell him about stopping drinking and that you would like an LFT to ensure no long term liver damage.

I did this with mine and they were very helpful. Your GP can only tell the DVLA what they have recorded in your records. The Medichecks tests carry no weight with DVLA as they are too easy to fake.

If you can afford it, consider a Medichecks kit (ad for them is at the bottom of this page). It'll give you an idea of where your bloods are at without having to have it recorded in your GP's notes.
Thanks norts, I think I'll wait a few more weeks then get liver blood test one done, I don't think there's much point in the CDT as I'm pretty sure I've either got alcohol misuse or dependency on my gp record so I'm not going to be taking a CDT for atleast 6 months and probably a year.
Thanks again for the advice.

Dave, Norts is right. Get the Medichecks kit both for CDT and LFT (again if you can afford it.) They are accurate and will let you know the next step to take with your GP. Once you know the results I would speak with your GP in any case. Tell him about stopping drinking and that you would like an LFT to ensure no long term liver damage.

I did this with mine and they were very helpful. Your GP can only tell the DVLA what they have recorded in your records. The Medichecks tests carry no weight with DVLA as they are too easy to fake.
Hi Luna, thanks for the advice I'll be booking a Liver function test in a few weeks I don't think I'll bother with the CDT as I haven't much money at the moment and won't be taking the DVLA medical for a while I don't think. So do you know if I should have the LFT'S Done every 3 months or what would you suggest ?

Hi Luna, thanks for the advice I'll be booking a Liver function test in a few weeks I don't think I'll bother with the CDT as I haven't much money at the moment and won't be taking the DVLA medical for a while I don't think. So do you know if I should have the LFT'S Done every 3 months or what would you suggest ?
Yes, get them done every 3 months by your GP and they will show a clear progression of recovery. That is what DVLA looks for. If you don't intend to have a medical for a year and you stop drinking completely as of now, you won't have any problem with the CDT.

Yes, get them done every 3 months by your GP and they will show a clear progression of recovery. That is what DVLA looks for. If you don't intend to have a medical for a year and you stop drinking completely as of now, you won't have any problem with the CDT.
Yer I've stopped drinking now, I called my doctors earlier today to ask for my medical history, but they said I have to Email them which I've done but this can take 28 day's to receive, joke hey! I'm going to wait until I can see what's on my gp records then go from there, if there is alcohol history which I'm sure there is then there's no point in booking the medical until I have a full year clear LFT'S is there ?

Hi Norts, can you tell me how you booked your LFT tests, was it through your gp ? I've just called mine and gave a date I stopped drinking, I explained what was going on that I'm a HRO and I need LFTS done every 3 months, but he has said he needs a written letter from the DVLA to ask for this to be done, I can't just book them over the phone, bloody joke!

Hi Norts, can you tell me how you booked your LFT tests, was it through your gp ? I've just called mine and gave a date I stopped drinking, I explained what was going on that I'm a HRO and I need LFTS done every 3 months, but he has said he needs a written letter from the DVLA to ask for this to be done, I can't just book them over the phone, bloody joke!
Was it the doctor you spoke with or girl on the desk

Hi Luna,
Was it the doctor you spoke with or girl on the desk
It was the doctor mate ?

Hi Luna, I called my gp earlier and explained everything, I'm a HRO and need LFTS done every 3 months, he said he can't just book it over the phone it's not a medical issue, and he needs a letter in writing from the DVLA to ask for this, bloody ridiculous! How did you manage to book yours ?

Hi Luna, I called my gp earlier and explained everything, I'm a HRO and need LFTS done every 3 months, he said he can't just book it over the phone it's not a medical issue, and he needs a letter in writing from the DVLA to ask for this, bloody ridiculous! How did you manage to book yours ?
Make an appointment and go and see the Gp and explain face to face.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off