DRINK DRIVING SENTENCES

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi
I was pulled over the other weekend, can’t remember what my roadside reading was due to being terrified. But my station reading was 56mg.
I have a clean license apart from a speeding ticket earlier in the year where I got 3 points.
I cooperated completely with the police and answered everything they asked. No other previous interaction with the police.
I have a general idea what I’ll be getting. But I read I could face 3 months in prison. Now I’m scared to death that might be the case.
can anyone just put my mind at ease please
My court date is the 6th of jan

I can absolutely assure you that you will NOT go to prison for this. It is almost certain you will not even get a community penalty but just a fine (according to your income) a ban of 12-16 months - which can be reduced by up to 25% if you are offered and accept a Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course (ask for it if you are not offered it when sentenced as it cannot be offered later) court costs of £85 and a ‘victim surcharge’ of £34 (that is payable by everyone.

I can absolutely assure you that you will NOT go to prison for this. It is almost certain you will not even get a community penalty but just a fine (according to your income) a ban of 12-16 months - which can be reduced by up to 25% if you are offered and accept a Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course (ask for it if you are not offered it when sentenced as it cannot be offered later) court costs of £85 and a ‘victim surcharge’ of £34 (that is payable by everyone.
Thank you
I’m obviously going to go to court well dressed and tell them of my remorse. But is there anything else you would recommend? I’ve also recently been prescribed with a mild anti depression tablets (after the incident), as I fell like that added to me drinking on that night
Thank you again

Just out of court, thank you for all your help on this forum, details below:

Brief Description of Offence:
Went to the pub drank a lot, took a girl home, drove to the garage for alcohol whilst she waited, made it to the garage, nodded off at the wheel on the way back (almost certain) crashed. Not my first time, regular occurrence of drinking driving (without getting caught). Idiot I know.

Blood Alcohol Level and Reading Type:
Breath 82.

Mitigating Factors:
  • No previous drink driving/points & no criminal convictions in the last 10 years.
  • Clinically depressed.
  • Attending AA with no intention of ever drinking again.
  • Breathalyzed at station & admitted everything at earliest oppurtunity.

Aggravating Factors:
  • Crashed into a parked car head on at such as speed that I thrusted that car into another van & damaged that too.
  • Fled the scene
  • Was found 100 yards away hiding
  • Refused to give sample at road side
  • Gave a false name to arresting officer
  • Police said I was unsteady on my legs (I take sertraline 100mg a day - so this would have made me even more drunk - prone to blackouts - I don't remember much - just the impact)

Legal Representation at Court?:
No, asked for duty & spoke to him, but he wouldn't represent due to lack of risk of custodial sentence, so represented myself.

Sentence:
18 months ban
£350 fine
£85 court costs
£35 victim surcharge

(offered me the chance to pay off £40 a month)

Offered the Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course?:
Yes - offered TTC, will knock 25% off @ a cost of £150 which I will be completing at the earliest opportunity.

Sentence Comments:
  • Got into court an hour early so I was one of the first seen, which worked well.
  • Took character reference which I read out to the magistrates
  • Showed complete remorse, and explained I have decided to abstain from alcohol & attending AA.
  • Wore jeans & smart jumper.
  • Fair sentence given the aggravating factors.
  • Glad I represented myself, gave me the opportunity to show remorse and explain my actions. Plus the guidelines were 17-22 months, so I've done well.
DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE - I WAS LUCKY I COULD HAVE KILLED SOMEONE OR MYSELF.

in th
Just out of court, thank you for all your help on this forum, details below:

Went to the pub drank a lot, took a girl home, drove to the garage for alcohol whilst she waited, made it to the garage, nodded off at the wheel on the way back (almost certain) crashed. Not my first time, regular occurrence of drinking driving (without getting caught). Idiot I know.

Breath 82.

Mitigating Factors:
  • No previous drink driving/points & no criminal convictions in the last 10 years.
  • Clinically depressed.
  • Attending AA with no intention of ever drinking again.
  • Breathalyzed at station & admitted everything at earliest oppurtunity.

Aggravating Factors:
  • Crashed into a parked car head on at such as speed that I thrusted that car into another van & damaged that too.
  • Fled the scene
  • Was found 100 yards away hiding
  • Refused to give sample at road side
  • Gave a false name to arresting officer
  • Police said I was unsteady on my legs (I take sertraline 100mg a day - so this would have made me even more drunk - prone to blackouts - I don't remember much - just the impact)

No, asked for duty & spoke to him, but he wouldn't represent due to lack of risk of custodial sentence, so represented myself.

Sentence:
18 months ban
£350 fine
£85 court costs
£35 victim surcharge

(offered me the chance to pay off £40 a month)

Yes - offered TTC, will knock 25% off @ a cost of £150 which I will be completing at the earliest opportunity.

Sentence Comments:
  • Got into court an hour early so I was one of the first seen, which worked well.
  • Took character reference which I read out to the magistrates
  • Showed complete remorse, and explained I have decided to abstain from alcohol & attending AA.
  • Wore jeans & smart jumper.
  • Fair sentence given the aggravating factors.
  • Glad I represented myself, gave me the opportunity to show remorse and explain my actions. Plus the guidelines were 17-22 months, so I've done well.
DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE - I WAS LUCKY I COULD HAVE KILLED SOMEONE OR MYSELF.
In the circumstances I think you were beyond lucky.. you're last line is 100% correct, glad you learned the lesson without hurting anyone.

Drank on the train ride home after work. Work had forced me into a 4hr round trip commute each day. Highly depressed, selfishly didn't care to drink knowing my car was at the arriving station.

87 roadside 88 station.

Mitigating Factors:
No previous convictions. Metal health issues. Clean license. Extremely depressed. Commuting to and from work with no notice. On going court battle with ex partner to see my son. Losing my job due to not holding a license. Arriving back at my car to find a parking ticket

Aggravating Factors:
Going into the back of someone at slow speed in stop-start traffic. Them claiming the car written off and whiplash (no evidence provided for either and defending representative stated so)

Yes - duty solicitor. Did a great job, was extremely thankful to have them there.

Sentence:
20mnth ban - driver awareness offered to cut by 25%. £525 in total fines.

Yes - will be taking the course.

Sentence Comments:
Very happy to move on from this, I feel the court was very lenient with me. Blowing 88 I expected 22mnths - possibly unpaid work. So glad it's over. I will never repeat such a stupid mistake.

Hi regretfulbadger2021

Thank you for the response much appreciated honestly. I wasn’t charged at the station they couldn’t interview me so released me under investigation not sure if that’s a bad thing? The sergeant there couldn’t get hold of someone apparently.

Furthermore I dont know what to do it’s going to be a hard not driving as where I have moved to there’s hardly public transport.
Hiya I'm in tbe same situation I've got court on Wed I have to travel from Kent to Dorset so I'm travelling up the night before as court is at 10. I'm going alone as I have to have someone to watch my son. I to live in a village where the transport is very poor .dredding it but need I out the way to move on. Good luck

Hi @Sarah 1111

Thanks for your message how did court go what was the verdict?

Today I received a letter from the police stations they want me to contact them urgently for there investigation I called but couldn’t get hold of the sergeant did you receive a letter before or was your letter straight from the courts ?

Hi All

Today I received a letter from the police station they want me to contact them urgently for there investigation when I got caught drink driving last year October 2021 and haven’t had any contact since today I hit in to a traffic light I called the station but couldn’t get hold of the sergeant anyone had this previously?

Hi @Sarah 1111

Thanks for your message how did court go what was the verdict?

Today I received a letter from the police stations they want me to contact them urgently for there investigation I called but couldn’t get hold of the sergeant did you receive a letter before or was your letter straight from the courts ?
Hiya.
I got my letter for court the morning after I came out the cell.i ended up with a fine for £300 something and 18 month ban.slowly getting my head around it. Good luck with everything

Had a few beers. Ran out and went to local shop to get some more in the car (stupid) on way back was driving faster than usual and police drove passed me and turned round and stopped me.

Reading at station was 45

Mitigating Factors:
First time offence. Compliant with the police.

Aggravating Factors:
Sped up when noticed that police was turning around to stop me.

No

Sentence:
12 month ban. £400 fine.

Yes. I intend in taking it.

Sentence Comments:
I got legal advice before attending court and the solicitor more or less told me to expect that kind of sentencing. Was very nervous on the day but glad it’s over now. Lesson definitely learned.

went out for a drink on the friday night, after returning home had a phone call in the early hours from my daughter upset, stupidly got in the car to go to her

Breath 85ug

Mitigating Factors:
clean driving record, no previous convictions, co-operation with police, the fact that i was trying to get to my daughter who was upset.

Aggravating Factors:
I hit a parked car, which in turn hit the car next to it, little damage to second car, and hit a wall

Duty Solicitor

Sentence:
18 month disqualification, £190 fine

yes am intending on doing the course, it will reduce my disqualification by 4 months 2 weeks, making it 13 months and two weeks to go

Sentence Comments:
i was expecting worse than i got, i'm a new driver had only been driving for 6 months, they didn't say anything about having to re sit my test, just to re apply for my license 56 days before my ban ends, am hoping that i don't have to re sit test, i'm wondering whether a disqualification means points too, if anyone could advise me on this would be greatful

nobody could be more disappointed in myself than i am right now, but feeling better now that i know what i'm facing, won't be doing it again

Jinx

Attended court on Thursday so thought I would update:

Went out on Jubilee bank holiday and had a few drinks. Boyfriend drove but one our friends got too drunk so he drove said friends zip car and him back to ours to sleep it off. Told me he was coming back as I was still with our other friends but for some reason I decided I needed to leave. Let my friend drive my car back to her house and then I was going to drive home from there. Thought I was okay because I had switched to water and there had been a few hours between my last drink and driving. I was very wrong. Crashed into a parked Mercedes GLE and police were called. Road side breathalyser taken and failed so had to go back to the station. They thought I would only be over the limit slightly and even said if I blew between 35-40 they'd let me go as I was very in control and had only drank a few drinks. I blew 76 then blew 73. They couldn't believe it, I couldn't believe it. All of us just staring in shock. The officers were super nice and gave me extra blankets and biscuits as had to spend a night in a cell which was very humbling. They even got oat milk for my tea as im lactose which I thought was really sweet.

Breath 73.

Mitigating Factors:
  • No previous drink driving/points & no criminal convictions
  • Admitted it straight away and fully co-operated

Aggravating Factors:
  • Crashed into a parked car which also hit two cars behind it :/

No, if pleading guilty and not a HRO literally no point. Better off putting the money towards the course or fine. If you want to present any mitigation write an apology letter or get good references.

Sentence:
17 months ban
£120 fine
£85 court costs
£34 victim surcharge

Will pay it off all on payday.

Yes and will cost £145. I do plan on eventually completing it as reduces ban from 17 to 13 months

Sentence Comments:
  • CPS said I gave differing accounts of the reasons for crashing (said I swerved to avoid a car then changed it to swerving due to something being in the road)
  • Brought 3 character references, one from an ex lecturer, a member at the club I work for and one from my mum
  • Also wrote an apology letter stating how I could have avoided the whole ordeal and how sorry I was
  • Was very remorseful but didn't cry
  • Wore white shirt, skirt and smart shoes, I think looking professional really helps and also wore no makeup as it makes me look older
  • Very surprised with how nice they were as they gave me the minimum of everything even though I crashed was double the limit
  • I brought a summary of my income and expenditure which I believed helped me with the fine as I only work part-time and I'm a student

Feeling very fortunate and just happy my day in court is over especially being a Masters law student. Could have lost my new job and would have been devastated but also could have really harmed someone else or myself. Just waiting now Admiral to try and chase me for costs so I can finally put everything behind me. Hindsight is a beautiful thing and I wish I never got behind the wheel. I have definitely learnt my lesson.

Attended court on Thursday so thought I would update:

Went out on Jubilee bank holiday and had a few drinks. Boyfriend drove but one our friends got too drunk so he drove said friends zip car and him back to ours to sleep it off. Told me he was coming back as I was still with our other friends but for some reason I decided I needed to leave. Let my friend drive my car back to her house and then I was going to drive home from there. Thought I was okay because I had switched to water and there had been a few hours between my last drink and driving. I was very wrong. Crashed into a parked Mercedes GLE and police were called. Road side breathalyser taken and failed so had to go back to the station. They thought I would only be over the limit slightly and even said if I blew between 35-40 they'd let me go as I was very in control and had only drank a few drinks. I blew 76 then blew 73. They couldn't believe it, I couldn't believe it. All of us just staring in shock. The officers were super nice and gave me extra blankets and biscuits as had to spend a night in a cell which was very humbling. They even got oat milk for my tea as im lactose which I thought was really sweet.

Breath 73.

Mitigating Factors:
  • No previous drink driving/points & no criminal convictions
  • Admitted it straight away and fully co-operated

Aggravating Factors:
  • Crashed into a parked car which also hit two cars behind it :/

No, if pleading guilty and not a HRO literally no point. Better off putting the money towards the course or fine. If you want to present any mitigation write an apology letter or get good references.

Sentence:
17 months ban
£120 fine
£85 court costs
£34 victim surcharge

Will pay it off all on payday.

Yes and will cost £145. I do plan on eventually completing it as reduces ban from 17 to 13 months

Sentence Comments:
  • CPS said I gave differing accounts of the reasons for crashing (said I swerved to avoid a car then changed it to swerving due to something being in the road)
  • Brought 3 character references, one from an ex lecturer, a member at the club I work for and one from my mum
  • Also wrote an apology letter stating how I could have avoided the whole ordeal and how sorry I was
  • Was very remorseful but didn't cry
  • Wore white shirt, skirt and smart shoes, I think looking professional really helps and also wore no makeup as it makes me look older
  • Very surprised with how nice they were as they gave me the minimum of everything even though I crashed was double the limit
  • I brought a summary of my income and expenditure which I believed helped me with the fine as I only work part-time and I'm a student

Feeling very fortunate and just happy my day in court is over especially being a Masters law student. Could have lost my new job and would have been devastated but also could have really harmed someone else or myself. Just waiting now Admiral to try and chase me for costs so I can finally put everything behind me. Hindsight is a beautiful thing and I wish I never got behind the wheel. I have definitely learnt my lesson.
Thanks for your explanation and comments.

You seemed to have dealt with the entire process very well.

I hope you can be an example to others in a similar position who feel that life will end because of a DUI. It won't. It will be more difficult for the length of the ban and certainly more expensive during and afterward (but that's the point, isn't it. Punishment.)

You do get through it, twice in my case, although no crash or damage to vehicle(s.)

I hope Admiral treats you fairly, but have a read about others' experiences on the site, and, being a lawyer, you will know to question everything and believe nothing.

BASED IN NORTHERN IRELAND

Just finished in court this morning, thought I would update everyone as to what unfolded today (Friday 1st July 2022)

Last month I was drinking most of the day when I had travelled to my hometown for a sporting event- honestly don’t know what possessed me to get in the car after getting a kebab about 11.30pm at night, my friend actually begged me not to go, but my mind was made up- stupidly travelled about 10 mins in the car when stopped by police when they notice that I was driving erratically/ swerving and etc.

86mg in Breath- just below the HRO level of 87.5mg.

Mitigating Factors:

• I had only driven a short distance when apprehended;
  • I was not carrying other passengers in the vehicle;
  • Given the time of the offence there was less traffic on the roads and thus less risk to others;
  • I did not cause damage to any vehicles or injure anyone;
  • I was fully compliant with any and all investigations from the police and
  • Prior to the incident, I have never having been in any trouble with the police for any reason, or received any endorsements on my driving licence.
Aggravating Factors:

• High alcohol content in breath;
  • Work as a solicitor- diminishing trust and integrity in the profession.

Yes- paid for a barrister to provide mitigation- paid £300 (inc VAT).

Given I work in the legal sector I had drafted a comprehensive and well written mitigation statement, but given I was in an emotional state, I felt it better to delegate the work of speaking on my behalf to a barrister.

To be fair, easiest money that man ever earned, he literally handed my statement to the judge who read it in full before passing sentence, but when he did speak on my behalf was very eloquent.

Sentence:

Disqualified from driving for 12 months; reduced to 9 months upon completion of DD course.

Fine of £350.00.

Yes- now offered automatically due to legislation update in Northern Ireland – will reduce my sentence by 3 months to a total of 9 months.

However, due to legislative position in Northern Ireland, I will have to re-apply for my licence and complete both the theory and practical driving tests again should I wish to drive again.

Sentence Comments:

Turned up early at the court, dressed in a smart suit and tie. Only person dressed in that fashion, but not certain that had an impact honestly- the judge who heard my case is notoriously strict.

Barrister said that due to the powerful nature of my statement and genuine remorse showcased within it was a major factor in the judge giving me the statutory minimum punishment- the sentencing range given the alcohol in breath was between 18 and 36 months, so I believe that the judge was lenient to me in the circumstances.

The whole situation has been transformative for me- it’s been a heart-breaking, anxious, worrying and shameful episode for me, but in the same vein, I intend to improve myself as a result of this, and to reflect how I arrived at this point, and use it as a building block from which to improve.

I regard it as a MAJOR bullet dodge and an eye opener, and will end on a note previous read in another post which has resonated with me.

DON’T DRINK AND DRIVE- I WAS LUCKY- I COULD HAVE KILLED SOMEONE OR MYSELF

@RemorseNI thanks for sharing your experience so candidly, it really helps to know the details of how you felt/what you did/how your barrister and the court judge conducted themselves. I agree with your final comments, I feel utterly ashamed but then again I was so lucky not to have killed or injured someone else.

I still have a long wait for blood results, so still in early stages (it's been 3 months wait already) but your post really helped give me today, so thank you. I know it is probably not much solace given you have just started your sentence, but you have given me some peace today.

Thank you and good luck.

@RemorseNI thanks for sharing your experience so candidly, it really helps to know the details of how you felt/what you did/how your barrister and the court judge conducted themselves. I agree with your final comments, I feel utterly ashamed but then again I was so lucky not to have killed or injured someone else.

I still have a long wait for blood results, so still in early stages (it's been 3 months wait already) but your post really helped give me today, so thank you. I know it is probably not much solace given you have just started your sentence, but you have given me some peace today.

Thank you and good luck.
No problem @Sonar- we are all here to look to atone for our sins and seek advice about what to expect, and I'm glad that my post gave you some peace today.

I'm still beating myself up mentally over the incident, but I do feel better having gotten the court out of the way- I hope that your results come through quickly to be able to get on with things.

No problem @Sonar- we are all here to look to atone for our sins and seek advice about what to expect, and I'm glad that my post gave you some peace today.

I'm still beating myself up mentally over the incident, but I do feel better having gotten the court out of the way- I hope that your results come through quickly to be able to get on with things.
Thank you, I at least got a reply from the arresting officer by text today (ie that results will be a while yet).

As for you, now court is out of the way I hope you can feel more positive and get back on track. You will come back bigger and brighter than ever!

BASED IN NORTHERN IRELAND

Just finished in court this morning, thought I would update everyone as to what unfolded today (Friday 1st July 2022)

Last month I was drinking most of the day when I had travelled to my hometown for a sporting event- honestly don’t know what possessed me to get in the car after getting a kebab about 11.30pm at night, my friend actually begged me not to go, but my mind was made up- stupidly travelled about 10 mins in the car when stopped by police when they notice that I was driving erratically/ swerving and etc.

86mg in Breath- just below the HRO level of 87.5mg.

Mitigating Factors:

• I had only driven a short distance when apprehended;
  • I was not carrying other passengers in the vehicle;
  • Given the time of the offence there was less traffic on the roads and thus less risk to others;
  • I did not cause damage to any vehicles or injure anyone;
  • I was fully compliant with any and all investigations from the police and
  • Prior to the incident, I have never having been in any trouble with the police for any reason, or received any endorsements on my driving licence.
Aggravating Factors:

• High alcohol content in breath;
  • Work as a solicitor- diminishing trust and integrity in the profession.

Yes- paid for a barrister to provide mitigation- paid £300 (inc VAT).

Given I work in the legal sector I had drafted a comprehensive and well written mitigation statement, but given I was in an emotional state, I felt it better to delegate the work of speaking on my behalf to a barrister.

To be fair, easiest money that man ever earned, he literally handed my statement to the judge who read it in full before passing sentence, but when he did speak on my behalf was very eloquent.

Sentence:

Disqualified from driving for 12 months; reduced to 9 months upon completion of DD course.

Fine of £350.00.

Yes- now offered automatically due to legislation update in Northern Ireland – will reduce my sentence by 3 months to a total of 9 months.

However, due to legislative position in Northern Ireland, I will have to re-apply for my licence and complete both the theory and practical driving tests again should I wish to drive again.

Sentence Comments:

Turned up early at the court, dressed in a smart suit and tie. Only person dressed in that fashion, but not certain that had an impact honestly- the judge who heard my case is notoriously strict.

Barrister said that due to the powerful nature of my statement and genuine remorse showcased within it was a major factor in the judge giving me the statutory minimum punishment- the sentencing range given the alcohol in breath was between 18 and 36 months, so I believe that the judge was lenient to me in the circumstances.

The whole situation has been transformative for me- it’s been a heart-breaking, anxious, worrying and shameful episode for me, but in the same vein, I intend to improve myself as a result of this, and to reflect how I arrived at this point, and use it as a building block from which to improve.

I regard it as a MAJOR bullet dodge and an eye opener, and will end on a note previous read in another post which has resonated with me.

DON’T DRINK AND DRIVE- I WAS LUCKY- I COULD HAVE KILLED SOMEONE OR MYSELF
This is an absolutely brilliant post. Very insightful, honest and helpful to others. Thank you for sharing, I wish you all the very best, you will undoubtedly be a much stronger person once you're through to the other side.
Best of luck

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off