2nd Medical? 12 month temp license

Convicted Driver Insurance

Cb101

Hi,

I had a medical test last year and I was put on a 12 month license, they sent me forms again for the doctor but will I need to go for yet another test?

I rarely drink these days so it doesnt bother me but it would just be a bit pointless, I’m assuming since i’ve been driving for a year with no issues it may not be necessary?

Hi,

I had a medical test last year and I was put on a 12 month license, they sent me forms again for the doctor but will I need to go for yet another test?

I rarely drink these days so it doesnt bother me but it would just be a bit pointless, I’m assuming since i’ve been driving for a year with no issues it may not be necessary?
Yeah same process as the first time. Think they can keep you on their radar for 6 years but would be very unlucky not to get a full license before then.
As long as you were never classed as alcohol dependent or a misuser then saying what you drink now would be fine.

Hi,

Yes you will have to go for another test. DVLA do not know that you have not been drinking and that it is pointless, and they are not going to take your word for it...

My 1 year licence ran out in July, I reapplied in April. They wrote to my GP in July, but seem to have lost the reply. They wrote to the GP again in September, I still have not received a date for a medical. I spoke to them last week, they got the forms from my GP and scanned them on the system on 26th October, so just waiting for the letter to 'invite' me to the medical.

Cb101

Good afternoon

I am in exactly the same boat as yourself. I am a HRO banned who was banned in 2019. I was re-instated with a 12 month temporary licence on the 21st January 2021, therefore I am approaching the expiry date. I sent my D1 driving licence renew through the post via recorded delivery on the 25th October, then I received some medical forms earlier this month that I completed and returned via recorded delivery (too).

As Big Tom has said, it is very much a repeat process of what we went through last year. One of the main things here is that the DVLA want to verify there have been no new medical issues in the last 12 months since they gave us the temporary licence. That is why they write to the GP (again!).

Like yourself - my last drink was in August 2019. I have contacted the GP a couple of times this year just to arrange LFTs and continue to prove my sobriety. I am anticipating I will be using Section 88 come the 21st January 2022, however I am going to book in with my GP for a health check in early January just to cross the t's and dot the i's with the Section 88 process.

I am not worried in the slightest by all of this. I am hoping that I will be granted a longer driving licence next time round, so at least I don't have to go through this all again in another year's time.

CJ

Yes you will have to go for another test. DVLA do not know that you have not been drinking and that it is pointless, and they are not going to take your word for it...

My 1 year licence ran out in July, I reapplied in April. They wrote to my GP in July, but seem to have lost the reply. They wrote to the GP again in September, I still have not received a date for a medical. I spoke to them last week, they got the forms from my GP and scanned them on the system on 26th October, so just waiting for the letter to 'invite' me to the medical.
Wait so you can still drive during this time right? I have no issues doing a medical but that seems like a stupidly long time to arrange one? April to October? My actual ban is up soon? If it
Cb101

Good afternoon

I am in exactly the same boat as yourself. I am a HRO banned who was banned in 2019. I was re-instated with a 12 month temporary licence on the 21st January 2021, therefore I am approaching the expiry date. I sent my D1 driving licence renew through the post via recorded delivery on the 25th October, then I received some medical forms earlier this month that I completed and returned via recorded delivery (too).

As Big Tom has said, it is very much a repeat process of what we went through last year. One of the main things here is that the DVLA want to verify there have been no new medical issues in the last 12 months since they gave us the temporary licence. That is why they write to the GP (again!).

Like yourself - my last drink was in August 2019. I have contacted the GP a couple of times this year just to arrange LFTs and continue to prove my sobriety. I am anticipating I will be using Section 88 come the 21st January 2022, however I am going to book in with my GP for a health check in early January just to cross the t's and dot the i's with the Section 88 process.

I am not worried in the slightest by all of this. I am hoping that I will be granted a longer driving licence next time round, so at least I don't have to go through this all again in another year's time.

CJ
Hi CJ, thanks for your response.

I need to be able to drive for work, mine also runs out in mid January? What is section 88?

Thank you

Wait so you can still drive during this time right? I have no issues doing a medical but that seems like a stupidly long time to arrange one? April to October? My actual ban is up soon? If it

Hi CJ, thanks for your response.

I need to be able to drive for work, mine also runs out in mid January? What is section 88?

Thank you

You can read about S88 in the link below. As you have already had a 1 year licence, it should apply so long as DVLA have received your correct and completed application and your GP is OK with you driving:

Wait so you can still drive during this time right? I have no issues doing a medical but that seems like a stupidly long time to arrange one? April to October? My actual ban is up soon?

Cd101

It is a very sad state of affairs with the DVLA with people waiting six months from the end of their ban until they finally get their driving licence.

Those of us who are already back on the road are thankfully in a much better position to continue driving under Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

Pricey has sent you the link, so I won't go into the full details of it. The most important thing is visiting your GP and making sure they are happy for you to continue to drive while the DVLA gets their act together.

CJ

You can read about S88 in the link below. As you have already had a 1 year licence, it should apply so long as DVLA have received your correct and completed application and your GP is OK with you driving:

Cd101

It is a very sad state of affairs with the DVLA with people waiting six months from the end of their ban until they finally get their driving licence.

Those of us who are already back on the road are thankfully in a much better position to continue driving under Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

Pricey has sent you the link, so I won't go into the full details of it. The most important thing is visiting your GP and making sure they are happy for you to continue to drive while the DVLA gets their act together.

CJ
I’m a “high risk offender” 😞, I don’t drink only when it’s an event or christmas so i’ll be fine but this sucks to know about the wait.

I’m a “high risk offender” 😞, I don’t drink only when it’s an event or christmas so i’ll be fine but this sucks to know about the wait.
Cb101

Technically speaking, we cease to be High Risk Offenders once we have completed and passed the first DVLA medical and we have been reinstated on the road for a while.

Unfortunately, in our cases, the DVLA have identified an issue somewhere on our respective medical files where alcohol has been a problem.

Sadly, this DVLA process can last up to six years from the end of the ban. If you are very unlucky, the DVLA can make you do the medical every year with a 12 month licence inbetween. However, you would have to be very unlucky for this to happen.

On the subject of your festival tipple - do not ever disclose having just that one cheeky Christmas beer!!!! This will cost you your licence at the next medical if you mention it.

Having been put into the 'dependant' or 'misuser' category, we cannot disclose any alcohol consumption to the DVLA. It is very much a zero tolerance attitude on their part.

CJ

For me it's this:

2018 - Did medical and passed (12 month License issued)
2019 - Same thing as 2018
2020 - Due to the pandemic - No Medical - My GP called me and told me DVLA written to him answered a few quick questions to him - anyway - 12 month License issue

2021 - My GP called - same question - Called DVLA many times ( they say I won't have to do a medical) - Can drive under Section 88 - My GP sent the forms to DVLA in June - Still waiting....

For me it's this:

2018 - Did medical and passed (12 month License issued)
2019 - Same thing as 2018
2020 - Due to the pandemic - No Medical - My GP called me and told me DVLA written to him answered a few quick questions to him - anyway - 12 month License issue

2021 - My GP called - same question - Called DVLA many times ( they say I won't have to do a medical) - Can drive under Section 88 - My GP sent the forms to DVLA in June - Still waiting....

snk7

When you state no medical in 2020 - is that a DVLA medical or a medical with your GP to be able to drive under Section 88?

Also you say you have been issued 3 x 12 month temporary licences (2018, 2019 & 2020). Were/are you in the HRO 'dependancy' category?

CJ

snk7

When you state no medical in 2020 - is that a DVLA medical or a medical with your GP to be able to drive under Section 88?

Also you say you have been issued 3 x 12 month temporary licences (2018, 2019 & 2020). Were/are you in the HRO 'dependancy' category?

CJ
No medical what so ever from both parties - DVLA just contacted my GP, then my GP phoned me he filled out a questionaire - he sent it off - then 12 months licensed issued.

Yes 3 temp license issued - I was a HRO (2nd offence within 10 yrs from the 1st, The reading was very High second time). It been a few years now that I am not dependent - My GP is aware.

No medical what so ever from both parties - DVLA just contacted my GP, then my GP phoned me he filled out a questionaire - he sent it off - then 12 months licensed issued.

Yes 3 temp license issued - I was a HRO (2nd offence within 10 yrs from the 1st, The reading was very High second time). It been a few years now that I am not dependent - My GP is aware.

Snk7

Thanks for the reply.

I am a first time HRO, just approaching the end of my first 12 month temporary licence.

I am hoping that once my second medical and everything is out of the way, the DVLA will grant me a longer licence next time.

Fingers crossed.

CJ

Hi,

I have never driven drunk but my mental health professional reported me for saying I drank most days. I lost my licence for 6 months. Which after appeal and a gp letter My licence was reinstated after 4 months, but I have been on a temporary licence for 4 years. I’ve had 3 medicals my cdt level is always 0.8 green for go for a licence. The medical questions I got always said “in the last 3 years have you ….” So I hopes after the last one it would be back to a normal licence as my issue I had was 4 years ago but this time the questionnaire said, “In the lady 6 years have you …” I don’t drink yet I’m still on a restricted licence for 4 plus years

I have never driven drunk but my mental health professional reported me for saying I drank most days. I lost my licence for 6 months. Which after appeal and a gp letter My licence was reinstated after 4 months, but I have been on a temporary licence for 4 years. I’ve had 3 medicals my cdt level is always 0.8 green for go for a licence. The medical questions I got always said “in the last 3 years have you ….” So I hopes after the last one it would be back to a normal licence as my issue I had was 4 years ago but this time the questionnaire said, “In the lady 6 years have you …” I don’t drink yet I’m still on a restricted licence for 4 plus years
I should add the temporary licences over the 4 years have each been a 12 month licence

Hi all,

I just wanted to say thanks for this information it has really help me readying this forum as looking forward to getting my licence back this time round and will help me after my first year temp licence. As I failed my CDT test this year in May 15th 2021 as classed as dependent. so I’ve been absent from then and having a LFT done every 3 months at doctors. March 14th 2022 can’t come sooner enough to apply again! 🤞🏻 🙂

So just to be clear, I have one question so after a year temp licence can you drive under section 88 waiting for to be renewed yet again? As I two conviction after 2013. (I know looking way way head) Sorry if been answered or hijacked thread.

Thank you 😊

Hi all,

I just wanted to say thanks for this information it has really help me readying this forum as looking forward to getting my licence back this time round and will help me after my first year temp licence. As I failed my CDT test this year in May 15th 2021 as classed as dependent. so I’ve been absent from then and having a LFT done every 3 months at doctors. March 14th 2022 can’t come sooner enough to apply again! 🤞🏻 🙂

So just to be clear, I have one question so after a year temp licence can you drive under section 88 waiting for to be renewed yet again? As I two conviction after 2013. (I know looking way way head) Sorry if been answered or hijacked thread.

Thank you 😊
Once you have been granted a temporary licence, you are off the HRO ‘merry go round’ and you can drive under S88 when the renewal comes along, if you meet the criteria for it.

Lissylou

It is a real pain in the back side isn't it having to endure the DVLA medical every 12 months for at least four years.

Obviously, you have never committed any driving offences, but it does feel like you've been put through the grinder more severely than a HRO who has completed their driving ban.

I think it's fair to say the DVLA Medical Team operate under their own rules and regulations, which is a mystery to most of us on this forum.

Good luck on your journey.

CJ

Lissylou

It is a real pain in the back side isn't it having to endure the DVLA medical every 12 months for at least four years.

Obviously, you have never committed any driving offences, but it does feel like you've been put through the grinder more severely than a HRO who has completed their driving ban.

I think it's fair to say the DVLA Medical Team operate under their own rules and regulations, which is a mystery to most of us on this forum.

Good luck on your journey.

CJ
I think they may have done it a bit out of spite, last year when I thought I’d get a normal licence again (as there has been no drinking reported for the period since 2018, but covid hit, so it was pushed back 6 months, and they just kept saying not doing medicals so I put in a complaint as many other people on here we’re having them still, and said I felt I was Being treated more harshly than perhaps someone who had got their licence back after a ban. (I don’t pay for my medicals as they are the one requesting due to previous alcohol misuse as I think they put it). I was offered a medical the following week passed at 0.8 cdt but still only for 12 months

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off