HRO Medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

mini6707

I am HRO. I caught caught DD in June 2020 when involved in an accident luckily noone was hurt. I have been doing ok with my drinking I don't drink everyday but when I do I suppose I misuse. I am due to go to the DD awareness course this week which I think is now going to be a waste of time. Last week I had a big blowout and was found in the street on the floor by two girls who then phoned an ambulance. Spent a few hours in A n E before discharging myself. If I did this course I could get my licence back in April 2021 if pass the medical which I know I am not. My family want me to start going to this clinic about my drinking is this going to go or against me at this medical. I am going to abstain until then and maybe for good.

I am HRO. I caught caught DD in June 2020 when involved in an accident luckily noone was hurt. I have been doing ok with my drinking I don't drink everyday but when I do I suppose I misuse. I am due to go to the DD awareness course this week which I think is now going to be a waste of time. Last week I had a big blowout and was found in the street on the floor by two girls who then phoned an ambulance. Spent a few hours in A n E before discharging myself. If I did this course I could get my licence back in April 2021 if pass the medical which I know I am not. My family want me to start going to this clinic about my drinking is this going to go or against me at this medical. I am going to abstain until then and maybe for good.
I found the drink drive course to be brilliant . From what you say it would be beneficial to address your drinking for its own sake , regardless of how it looks or whether it will help you get your licence back . I say this on the basis of my own experience.

Mini6701, you mention alcohol misuse, but with your drink drive conviction at 3 times the legal limit, your admission to hospital last week after a big “blow out” (I think you described your weekend drinking before the drink drive arrest in the same way) then you are highly likely to be classified by DVLA as “alcohol dependent’. You even managed to blow 102 the afternoon AFTER you had finished drinking.
This will require you to demonstrate being 12 months alcohol free.

I suggest you do go to the ‘clinic’ (the hospital admission will show up on your GP records anyway) start to address your relationship with alcohol, do the Drink Drive Course for the education you will gain - and the reduction in the ban….and then book in with your GP for the start of a few LFT’s over the next few months.
You probably should have done this after you blew so high, totalled your car (with nothing back from the insurance company) and lost your licence for 2 years….. but even that did not make you change your habit and now you have been hospitalised from drinking so much.
Sorry to be so blunt, but sympathy does not go far when alcohol is a big issue in someone’s life. I hope you take responsibility for what is going on in your life and accept help where it is available. Life will be so much better for you if you do.

When you come to reapply, you will be better placed to persuade DVLA that you have put your alcohol problems behind you. You are right that you will not pass the DVLA medical as it stands, not just because of a CDT result, but because of your hospital admission for being too drink to stand up, whilst on a long ban for being 3 times the legal limit.

mini6707

Welcome to the forum.

I would still encourage you to take part in the Drink Driving Course as it is quite enjoyable and worthwhile.

I am assuming you should get your licence back in April 2022, not April 2021?

You definitely need to set your stall out now and NOT DRINK until you have done your HRO medical!!!!

Unfortunately, the hospital admission will need to be disclosed on any DVLA medical forms you complete prior to your HRO medical. This could go either way for you. If the DVLA are happy with 6 months of sobriety they may grant you your licence, but I am kind of inclined to think they may insist on 12 months sobriety on this occasion which means you might not get your licence back until late 2022, as long as you behave yourself!

Sadly, you do need to be prepared to serve extra time off the road in light of recent events. The DVLA will still perceive you are still a risk behind the wheel if you have recently been admitted to hospital for alcohol issues.

I do apologise if this is not what you want to hear, but I am being totally frank in saying the hospital admission could cost you more time off the road.

CJ

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off