Dvla ruining my life

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi looking for some advice

A while back in July 2021 I was stopped by police whilst driving.
This stop resulted in a small amount of cannibus being found (which wasn't mine)
Was arrested released thought nothing more of the issue.

Roll on September 2021 yet again I'm stopped by police, however to my shock they tell me my driving licence has been revoked, due to medical reasons.
However I have no medical conditions nor have I or my gp reported any to dvla.
After numerous failed attempts I finally mange to get hold of the dvla.
Who tell me they have received third party information from police regarding drugs.
An that my licence has been revoked for non compliance.

Turns out the dvla sent me a letter to a old address which I hadn't received as I changed address, I put in a change of address form an didn't hear anything back.
Didn't think much of it as it was covid an didn't have the time to be chasing dvla to see if they had received it.

I've sent dvla a new D1 aswell as a DG1 form
This was in September, from then to now I've lost my job an I'm on the point of being evicted from my home, all whilst the dvla tell me there looking into things.

They won't send the letter saying I've been revoked to my new address so I cant appeal this decision.
They won't reply to my complains, so I cant move on to stage 2, an get my mp involved.

In my case I'm thinking I should just need a urine test an that should be the end of the matter once the all clear results come back

Is this something I can arrange myself as the dvla are clearly struggling an the time duration is taking too long for me.

Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated

This stop resulted in a small amount of cannibus being found (which wasn't mine)

Roll on September 2021 yet again I'm stopped by police, however to my shock they tell me my driving licence has been revoked, due to medical reasons.
Who tell me they have received third party information from police regarding drugs.

Turns out the dvla sent me a letter to a old address which I hadn't received as I changed address, I put in a change of address form an didn't hear anything back.
Didn't think much of it as it was covid an didn't have the time to be chasing dvla to see if they had received it.

This was in September, from then to now I've lost my job an I'm on the point of being evicted from my home, all whilst the dvla tell me there looking into things.

They won't send the letter saying I've been revoked to my new address so I cant appeal this decision.
They won't reply to my complains, so I cant move on to stage 2, an get my mp involved.

In my case I'm thinking I should just need a urine test an that should be the end of the matter once the all clear results come back

Is this something I can arrange myself as the dvla are clearly struggling an the time duration is taking too long for me.

Morning that sounds like a horrible situation . So they revoked your licence because the police found cannabis in your car ? That’s the most bizarre thing I’ve heard . Firstly did they arrest or fine you for possession ?
Secondly when they stopped you and found the cannabis did they do a road side swab test ? Were you arrested for drug driving ? Non compliance I take it you refused a swab and blood test ?
You said you were arrested so it has to be one or the other .

You have to report address changes to DVLA as soon as you move unfortunately.

It sounds like your revoked for 12 months .. it’s all a bit strange as you don’t say if you were charged or went to court etc . Therefore it’s hard to give any advice .

One thing I do know from experience as I admitted to using cocaine once in the past on my D1 form thinking it was not even related to my one drink drive charge . As soon as they have any inkling that you may use drugs they revoke your licence for 12months and you will have to do a medical .
I was made to do a medical because of a psychiatrist report put my in a High risk offender bracket . And I had to do both CDT blood test and a piss test .
Until you’ve done this forget getting your licence back . And also your MP can do nothing so don’t waste your time .
I had and still have 6 complaints at every level lodged and have had since July . You won’t get a reply in my experience.

You need the revocation letter to see what date it started and then go 12 months on from there. Did you admit to using and drugs at all in your D1 ? And I mean even holding a spliff? If so forget getting it back. As soon as you admit anything on that form In pen your knackered .

You cannot arrange any medical or urine test yourself . It has to be at an arranged date with a dvla appointed doctor and near the end of your revocation .

Im sorry it’s sounding harsh but it’s reality and trust me they stick to the rules to the letter . Keep ringing the medical department until you get an answer and I believe they have to send you the letter.

You can go on line and use the webchat option to change your address if they (lost) your form .

Also if you’ve lost your job then apply for universal credit and housing benefit . Either that or you will have to take a non driving job until your ban is over to pay your rent / mortgage . The DVLA are not interested in any negative affect the drug driving has had on your life and it will not get your licence back because of a down turn in your circumstances.
Even if you do manage to get the DVLA to court to appeal they have an unbeaten 100% rate (100 by knockout) success rate. So basically don’t waste your time getting and paying a brief as they will fill you full of false hope , take your money then smile when you lose .

You will not get anything done quickly so don’t expect and urgency from the DVLA . I sent my application in on March 4th and after them checking my psychiatrist reports twice I got a medical in Oct 2nd ( my licence revoke ended July 30th) I got my licence back Nov 26th and it’s only 12 months medical licence.

If I'm being honest with you, if you have to do a urine test it's going to be atleast 6-8 months before you're on the road again, I had my urine test over 4 and a half months ago and it took 2 months to get the medical appointment and I still haven't got my licence back, good luck with everything.

Morning that sounds like a horrible situation . So they revoked your licence because the police found cannabis in your car ? That’s the most bizarre thing I’ve heard . Firstly did they arrest or fine you for possession ?
Secondly when they stopped you and found the cannabis did they do a road side swab test ? Were you arrested for drug driving ? Non compliance I take it you refused a swab and blood test ?

It sounds like your revoked for 12 months .. it’s all a bit strange as you don’t say if you were charged or went to court etc . Therefore it’s hard to give any advice .

One thing I do know from experience as I admitted to using cocaine once in the past on my D1 form thinking it was not even related to my one drink drive charge . As soon as they have any inkling that you may use drugs they revoke your licence for 12months and you will have to do a medical .
I was made to do a medical because of a psychiatrist report put my in a High risk offender bracket . And I had to do both CDT blood test and a piss test .
Until you’ve done this forget getting your licence back . And also your MP can do nothing so don’t waste your time .
I had and still have 6 complaints at every level lodged and have had since July . You won’t get a reply in my experience.

You need the revocation letter to see what date it started and then go 12 months on from there. Did you admit to using and drugs at all in your D1 ? And I mean even holding a spliff? If so forget getting it back. As soon as you admit anything on that form In pen your knackered .

You cannot arrange any medical or urine test yourself . It has to be at an arranged date with a dvla appointed doctor and near the end of your revocation .

Im sorry it’s sounding harsh but it’s reality and trust me they stick to the rules to the letter . Keep ringing the medical department until you get an answer and I believe they have to send you the letter.

You can go on line and use the webchat option to change your address if they (lost) your form .
Hi, just a little thing that may effect the OP...DVLA can revoke for either 6 or 12 months (when it involves cannabis) - I was 6 months.

Last edited:

Good morning when stopped by police initially I was just arrested for possession taken to police station an released under investigation.
Up untill today I have not been court for this possession of cannabis.
There was no road side drug test taken or did I refuse to take one.
The officer just didn't attempt to do any drugs swab on me.
Dvla told me I revoked because they sent a medical questionnaire to me which they didn't get a reply too.
This was because it was a previous address they had on the system for me.

On the DG1 form I state tht I don't drink or take drugs
Seems abit harsh to be revoked for 12months when this is a unjust allegation with no proof or evidence, to state that I was on drugs or unfit to drive

If I'm being honest with you, if you have to do a urine test it's going to be atleast 6-8 months before you're on the road again, I had my urine test over 4 and a half months ago and it took 2 months to get the medical appointment and I still haven't got my licence back, good luck with everything.
Hi, just a little thing that may effect the OP...DVLA can revoke for either 6 or 12 months (when it involves cannabis) - I was 6 months.

Yes of course .. that’s a very big positive I over looked in my miserable views of the North Korean Driving Agency

6 to 12 months for the allegation? It's never been proven that I've used cannabis nor did I state that in the medical questionnaire, as I actually don't smoke cannabis at all

Good morning when stopped by police initially I was just arrested for possession taken to police station an released under investigation.
Up untill today I have not been court for this possession of cannabis.
There was no road side drug test taken or did I refuse to take one.
The officer just didn't attempt to do any drugs swab on me.
Dvla told me I revoked because they sent a medical questionnaire to me which they didn't get a reply too.
This was because it was a previous address they had on the system for me.

On the DG1 form I state tht I don't drink or take drugs
Seems abit harsh to be revoked for 12months when this is a unjust allegation with no proof or evidence, to state that I was on drugs or unfit to drive
In that case I don’t see how they revoked you as surely they need to prove you have drugs in your system . Also no possession charge or on the spot fine so what on earth did they arrest you for .
What amount of weed / resin did they find ?
Also the second time they stopped you I presume they ran a PNC check on you which showed no outstanding warrant for missing any court appearance.

I honestly from what you have told me, cannot see what grounds the DVLA have revoked you on . Any one could ring DVLA and allege some ones using drugs . In fact I believe you can contact the DVLA online with concerns about peoples driving .

I’m stumped going by the details you shared . I would be ringing them daily for that letter and I’d also make sure you go on line and change your address asap . I say this as they have a habit of ‘losing’ paperwork.

Do you know it’s 12months you are revoked for . As it can be 6months as you aren’t not a high risk offender are you .
Is it your first driving ban / revok ??

Whilst I have some sympathy with TimmyTurneroo, if he / she had updated their address with DVLA as required when moving, he would have received the medical questionnaire and his licence may went not have been revoked.
He was not removed because of the information from the police, that only triggered enquiries, and his not return of the questionnaire triggered the revoke of the licence.

TimmyTurneroo, it does seem silly that that DVLA will not send confirmation of your revocation to your new address, pershps you should write to the Data Protection Officer at DVLA, as a Subject Access Request, for any paperwork that they hold on you, that will produce a copy of the revocation letter. Don’t do a ‘Freedom of Information’ request as that will not produce a result for personal information.

Whilst I have some sympathy with TimmyTurneroo, if he / she had updated their address with DVLA as required when moving, he would have received the medical questionnaire and his licence may went not have been revoked.
He was not removed because of the information from the police, that only triggered enquiries, and his not return of the questionnaire triggered the revoke of the licence.

TimmyTurneroo, it does seem silly that that DVLA will not send confirmation of your revocation to your new address, pershps you should write to the Data Protection Officer at DVLA, as a Subject Access Request, for any paperwork that they hold on you, that will produce a copy of the revocation letter. Don’t do a ‘Freedom of Information’ request as that will not produce a result for personal information.
I've requested a sar in September an still have received nothing.
An too your point I did send in a change of address to dvla, didn't receive nothing back.
At the time they was on strike an covid issues so I presumed there was delays.
An yes I'm revoked for not sending medical questionnaire back within 30days.

In that case I don’t see how they revoked you as surely they need to prove you have drugs in your system . Also no possession charge or on the spot fine so what on earth did they arrest you for .
What amount of weed / resin did they find ?
Also the second time they stopped you I presume they ran a PNC check on you which showed no outstanding warrant for missing any court appearance.

I honestly from what you have told me, cannot see what grounds the DVLA have revoked you on . Any one could ring DVLA and allege some ones using drugs . In fact I believe you can contact the DVLA online with concerns about peoples driving .

I’m stumped going by the details you shared . I would be ringing them daily for that letter and I’d also make sure you go on line and change your address asap . I say this as they have a habit of ‘losing’ paperwork.

Do you know it’s 12months you are revoked for . As it can be 6months as you aren’t not a high risk offender are you .
Is it your first driving ban / revok ??
Hi I've not been charged for thr possession of weed.
I was released under investigation so I've have had no warrant for arrest or caught date.
Im not a HRO.
The amount of weed was small literally a one small bud of weed less then a ten pound bag.
The second time I was stopped was a routine random check.
This stop resulted in my an the police finding out that my licence had been revoked

I was released under investigation so I've have had no warrant for arrest or caught date.
Im not a HRO.
The amount of weed was small literally a one small bud of weed less then a ten pound bag.
This stop resulted in my an the police finding out that my licence had been revoked
10lb = 4.5kg! Not exactly a small amount...

Im not a HRO.
I’d be on the phone daily to the DVLA … in my opinion .
The thing is they will do absolutely nothing to help you if you don’t keep chasing it . It means nothing to them if you never drive again . And with things the way they are as in staffing issues and now a new covid threat it’s going to be a slow process.

If you don’t ring them don’t expect to hear off them any time soon . The timescale I had was mind boggling and others on here have experienced even worse .

My bad, for me "10 pound bag" means 4.5kg not a £10 bag...

Unfortunately, you were arrested for possession of an illegal substance. If you couldn't prove it wasn't yours/you didn't tell Dibble who owned it, then the arrest stands and is on your criminal record. For such a small amount, generally they consider a street caution or similar unless one has been issued in the past and your previous record meant they couldn't offer one this time.

The Police have obviously informed DVLA that they suspect you to be a drug user, not exactly the same as a random member of the public telling them, so they do take it seriously. DVLA have then asked you to go for a medical to prove you are not driving under the influence, the emphasis is on you to ensure your licence is registered at the correct address, surely not having a new licence posted through to your new address should have flagged up that there was an issue?

I think you will find the second stop probably wasn't a random stop, you possibly will find that your car has been flagged as a suspected drug user's car. Have they charged you with driving while disqual and/or driving without insurance?

I've requested a sar in September an still have received nothing.
An too your point I did send in a change of address to dvla, didn't receive nothing back.
At the time they was on strike an covid issues so I presumed there was delays.
An yes I'm revoked for not sending medical questionnaire back within 30days.
It’s interesting that they can penalise for not sending something back within 30 days because according to everyone I’ve ever spoken to at DVLA ( when chasing up my own correspondence) they’ve said any incoming paper sits in what is basically a black hole for many weeks before it gets scanned on to system ! Until it shows on system no one knows if it’s there or not . Not to mention the volume of stuff that “ goes missing “ there.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off