Medical question, possible issue

Convicted Driver Insurance

spiderfish

Hi all, I’m due to receive my medical letter soon (hopefully) but I’m worried about the alcohol misuse in the last 6 years question. 4 1/2 years ago I went to my Dr’s and was prescribed anti depression medicine when I was separated from my wife. I’m concerned that if the Dr asked whether I was drinking too much I may have said yes. This will be the only possible issue with the DVLA contacting my GP.
If there is a record and they contact my GP will this be enough for them to refuse my license or am I likely to give me a 1 year license?
I’m going to make an appointment to see my DR to clarify but am also worried if I ask the question that they’ll put that on my medical notes as it hints there was a problem.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi all, I’m due to receive my medical letter soon (hopefully) but I’m worried about the alcohol misuse in the last 6 years question. 4 1/2 years ago I went to my Dr’s and was prescribed anti depression medicine when I was separated from my wife. I’m concerned that if the Dr asked whether I was drinking too much I may have said yes. This will be the only possible issue with the DVLA contacting my GP.
If there is a record and they contact my GP will this be enough for them to refuse my license or am I likely to give me a 1 year license?
I’m going to make an appointment to see my DR to clarify but am also worried if I ask the question that they’ll put that on my medical notes as it hints there was a problem.
Thanks in advance for
Thanks in advance for any advice.
I cannot exactly recall the medical questionnaire question wordings but I think that, in the circumstances that you outline, you could legitimately say no to the alcohol problem questions . The reason I say this is that your situation as described mirrors what mine was. Excessive drinking in context of terrible divorce. I answered yes to the mental health question ( problem within last 3 years) as I was still in treatment and they wrote to my GP. In the questionnaire to her there was a question re alcohol misuse , she confirmed what I’d said . She did not regard that as alcohol problem per sé, but specifically contextual . I got my licence back . You can download the DVLA Dr medical questionnaire. Someone on here will have the link .

Did your dr state alcohol misuse? I’ll try and get an app tomorrow and see if there’s a record and if so see what they say… Thanks

Did your dr state alcohol misuse? I’ll try and get an app tomorrow and see if there’s a record and if so see what they say… Thanks
No. The question as framed to her was had I had treatment for / had alcohol problem . She said no .

It doesn't matter really what you said to your GP before. It all comes down to whether or not you are problem drinking now and the test. More the test than anything. Just don't drink for a few days beforehand and you will be fine.

It doesn't matter really what you said to your GP before. It all comes down to whether or not you are problem drinking now and the test. More the test than anything. Just don't drink for a few days beforehand and you will be fine.
Not really true. I had been sober for over a year when I did my medical. I don’t have a drinking problem now but was put in the misuse category.
Of course your alcohol history matters if not they wouldn’t ask.
They take all these things into account. A low CDT test does not guarantee your will get your licence back, accounts on this forum demonstrates that.
And ‘a few days’ ? Try 4-8 weeks to get a score under 1.

That is not at all correct and relevant medical information will be taken into account : this being why they write to the GP. However , the fact that alcohol use has been disclosed to the GP will not necessarily go against you . It all depends on context and circumstances. At the time if my arrest I was suffering from depression and drinking . I told my GP, and subsequently also told her when I had stopped drinking . I told the same to the DVLA Dr .

The DVLA have just written to my GP and a few weeks ago my GP confirmed that in 2014 they classified me as dependent.

I lost my licence in 2017 ()blew 124) and got it back early 2019 even with this on my record.

Unfortunately I didn't learn and lost it again in 2019 (blew 96). The DVLA have just told me they have written to my GP and I am not sure what the result will be.

The GP I have referred them to was also the one that told me to try cannabis for my back pain instead of alcohol, so hopefully he will be a bit more sympathetic.

And no, I didn't try cannabis and I haven't had a drink since 23rd July 2019 which my GP also has on record.

The DVLA have just written to my GP and a few weeks ago my GP confirmed that in 2014 they classified me as dependent.

I lost my licence in 2017 ()blew 124) and got it back early 2019 even with this on my record.

Unfortunately I didn't learn and lost it again in 2019 (blew 96). The DVLA have just told me they have written to my GP and I am not sure what the result will be.

The GP I have referred them to was also the one that told me to try cannabis for my back pain instead of alcohol, so hopefully he will be a bit more sympathetic.

And no, I didn't try cannabis and I haven't had a drink since 23rd July 2019 which my GP also has on record.
You have been sober for over the 12 months, recorded with GP. I’m sure they can see you are doing well. Have you got any LFT’s done to help ?
Sounds like you are doing all the right things to ensure this situation is not repeat. I have faith that you will get your licence back, even if it is a temporary 12 month one.

I absolutely does. If my gp had said I was miss using alcohol at the time I might have had my license refused and needed to prove over a period of 6 months that I was no longer miss using (regardless of my CDT score). I’m not worried about the medical I drink once a week at most, have only had 2 beers so far this month and will be 30 days without a drink when I take the medical.

You have been sober for over the 12 months, recorded with GP. I’m sure they can see you are doing well. Have you got any LFT’s done to help ?
Sounds like you are doing all the right things to ensure this situation is not repeat. I have faith that you will get your licence back, even if it is a temporary 12 month one.
No, I don't have any LFT's recorded with my GP unfortunately, but I would hope that with a very low CDT level I hope that counts for something.

I will call my Doc next week and see if they can get me a quick LFT before they reply to the DVLA letter.

With the strange ways the DVLA act, it's a toss up as to whether I get my licence back or not.

Depending on the date in 2014 wouldn’t that be over 6 years ago?
No, I don't have any LFT's recorded with my GP unfortunately, but I would hope that with a very low CDT level I hope that counts for something.

I will call my Doc next week and see if they can get me a quick LFT before they reply to the DVLA letter.

With the strange ways the DVLA act, it's a toss up as to whether I get my licence back or not.
Does anybody know what the Dr’s questionnaire asks (the one they send to the Dr)? I know the questionnaire we fill out goes back 6 years.
The reason I ask is that I went to se my GP in 2010 and discussed that I thought I was drinking too much. Not in the day and not every day but excessively when I was. I’d be happy to disclose that as I went to ask for a liver function test but the dr didn’t think I needed one. Do they delve that far back?

Thank you. I should be ok then. My notes from 2010 state that I don’t drink every day or during the day time but excessively when I do. So would count as misuse I think. That form states misuse in the last 3 years and my dr said she thought that I’d acted responsibly and that there wasn’t anything negative regarding alcohol on my notes. Fingers crossed I’ll be driving soon…

I only had the one LFT done at the same time the questionnaire was filled in and the DVLA reinstated my license.
I hope it goes well for you. Sounds like positive signs to me, clearly you have remained sober.
I would imagine you would get a 12 month license like I did.

I only had the one LFT done at the same time the questionnaire was filled in and the DVLA reinstated my license.
I hope it goes well for you. Sounds like positive signs to me, clearly you have remained sober.
I would imagine you would get a 12 month license like I did.
I’d second that, sounds positive. Fingers crossed for you 🤞

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off