Contacting DVLA

Convicted Driver Insurance

Luna2000

Established Member
I thought I'd post this as I'm 'live' with the DVLA as I type. Well, I'm in a phone queue.

Called just after 3.00pm on a Friday afternoon. Took over 30 attempts before I actually got through to the first recorded voice. After listening for 2 minutes, I pressed Option 2 only to be told that 'all advisors were busy and to call back,' whereupon my call was terminated. So after another 40 attempts, got through again and after pressing Option 2 for 3 times, I eventually got into an advisor queue. I waited 35 minutes for this call to be answered. I was told that it my case was with the medical team, (although I thought I had called the medical number,) and that I would be transferred to them. So, I am now at 1 hour and 15 minutes and counting to speak to someone in the medical team.

And just as I type this I get through to the advisor who tells me that the Dr who carried out the medical hasn't sent back the CDT DR1 form and they only contacted them on the 8th November to ask about it.

So, as you would expect, I called the Doctor who said they are not allowed to retain copies of the completed forms and they they sent all the info back on the 30th September. Given that the DVLA have the 2nd part of the form and the CDT test results, I can only guess that they have lost the DR1 form as they were all stapled together and returned.

Frustrated at ineptitude is an understatement.

I am now piggy in the middle and can see me having to go for another medical because of this.

To be honest, I am just doing those as an experiment to find out a) the time it takes to speak to someone and b) what information you will actually be given.

I applied 4 months ago, had my medical 6 weeks ago and ban ended 4 weeks ago tomorrow.

Given other peoples journeys on, I don't expect my licence to be issued in the next few days, but would like some kind of correspondence from them even if just to confirm they have all info they need or are awaiting something else. This couId be done automatically when things are scanned. I did call 4 weeks ago and was told 'everything is on the system,' but before I could ask anything else, they ended the call.

Not sure if making a nuisance of yourself will help or hinder, but I think I'll start calling every couple of days from now on and ask them to record the fact that I have called.

I have considered going down the MP/MSP route and wondered if anyone else has had any success in trying this?

I am also looking at getting back into work again, but I need a licence and a car to do this.

Just to note, I don't blame the unions for ensuring that their members are working safely, but higher level management and the government need to get their act together and sort something else out via additional office space if they will not allow staff to access information from home.

I thought I'd post this as I'm 'live' with the DVLA as I type. Well, I'm in a phone queue.

Called just after 3.00pm on a Friday afternoon. Took over 30 attempts before I actually got through to the first recorded voice. After listening for 2 minutes, I pressed Option 2 only to be told that 'all advisors were busy and to call back,' whereupon my call was terminated. So after another 40 attempts, got through again and after pressing Option 2 for 3 times, I eventually got into an advisor queue. I waited 35 minutes for this call to be answered. I was told that it my case was with the medical team, (although I thought I had called the medical number,) and that I would be transferred to them. So, I am now at 1 hour and 15 minutes and counting to speak to someone in the medical team.

And just as I type this I get through to the advisor who tells me that the Dr who carried out the medical hasn't sent back the CDT DR1 form and they only contacted them on the 8th November to ask about it.

So, as you would expect, I called the Doctor who said they are not allowed to retain copies of the completed forms and they they sent all the info back on the 30th September. Given that the DVLA have the 2nd part of the form and the CDT test results, I can only guess that they have lost the DR1 form as they were all stapled together and returned.

I am now piggy in the middle and can see me having to go for another medical because of this.

To be honest, I am just doing those as an experiment to find out a) the time it takes to speak to someone and b) what information you will actually be given.

I applied 4 months ago, had my medical 6 weeks ago and ban ended 4 weeks ago tomorrow.

Given other peoples journeys on, I don't expect my licence to be issued in the next few days, but would like some kind of correspondence from them even if just to confirm they have all info they need or are awaiting something else. This couId be done automatically when things are scanned. I did call 4 weeks ago and was told 'everything is on the system,' but before I could ask anything else, they ended the call.

Not sure if making a nuisance of yourself will help or hinder, but I think I'll start calling every couple of days from now on and ask them to record the fact that I have called.

I have considered going down the MP/MSP route and wondered if anyone else has had any success in trying this?

I am also looking at getting back into work again, but I need a licence and a car to do this.

Just to note, I don't blame the unions for ensuring that their members are working safely, but higher level management and the government need to get their act together and sort something else out via additional office space if they will not allow staff to access information from home.
My doctor put all of my test samples and paperwork in to the correct envelopes and test bags in front of me . I then had to sign and initial the tests .
He did it all there and then so that I could witness it . I’d say they have messed up as always .

Take it from me if you do not make a pest of yourself and pursue it they will just let it sit there and possibly never correct it or contact you again.
They are massively backlogged and any thing they can do to lighten the work load they will .

If you want your licence back then keep on their case . Also lodge a complaint and keep doing that .

I hope this helps you decide .

Just to note, I don't blame the unions for ensuring that their members are working safely, but higher level management and the government need to get their act together and sort something else out via additional office space if they will not allow staff to access information

The MP route I took twice .. they just fobbed him off as well . And it took a couple of months for him to answer me and then a couple of months to send me their reply . Long winded and unproductive in my experience.

The issue is between you the medical department and the GP . From what you’ve said I’d be inclined to trust your GP’s word and not the DVLA .

I’d concentrate my anger at the medical department and as a side issue go through every level of the complaint process so as to have a record of it .

My doctor put all of my test samples and paperwork in to the correct envelopes and test bags in front of me . I then had to sign and initial the tests .
He did it all there and then so that I could witness it . I’d say they have messed up as always .

Take it from me if you do not make a pest of yourself and pursue it they will just let it sit there and possibly never correct it or contact you again.
They are massively backlogged and any thing they can do to lighten the work load they will .

If you want your licence back then keep on their case . Also lodge a complaint and keep doing that .

I hope this helps you decide .
Oh don't worry, after hearing about it I will.

I was given an email address and I have already contacted them via that plus I will call again tomorrow and stay on the phone as long as it takes to get this resolved.

As I said, if they have the CDT results and Part 2 of the form, then there is no reason they don't have Part 1.

That's terrible Luna

That's terrible Luna.
In no way will DVLA even acknowledge they have made a mistake or apologise, I've experienced their "mistakes" before during another medical application and this added another 9 months onto the process.
There is an informal Facebook DVLA related page which I look at now and again and many people there have had success by contacting their MP to take up their case. I wouldn't bother with your MSP tbh as they wouldn't have any clout though I don't even think an MP has either but what is in your favour and where you have a legitimate complaint is that both forms were received together therefore they have lost one which has had a severe impact on your application and timescale.
I agree with you that you will unfortunately have to attend another medical as a direct result as they have nothing to base their decision on now.
DVLA are currently proposing the possibility of permitting other health professionals rather than just doctors and consultants to perform assessments for driving / fitness to drive but it would need a change in the law to permit this.
They are running an online questionnaire and are seeking feedback from professionals and the public.
It takes about 20 to 25 minutes to complete and this may make you feel a bit better getting your voice across.
There are several sections but responses are limited to 500 letters each unfortunately.
It might be worth a look. I'm not sure if the link though I'm sure you could find the survey quite easily via Google - it's on the Gov website.
All the best Luna, sheer incompetence would naturally make you angry. You've came a long way.
X

Forgive me if I rant on (yet) again. My ban was revoked seven months early. I had made two complaints and the Swansea duffers still replied to say my ban was in place.

I have a complaint pending with the next level with the ICA. Checks - been three months. and no response.

Oh don't worry, after hearing about it I will.

I was given an email address and I have already contacted them via that plus I will call again tomorrow and stay on the phone as long as it takes to get this resolved.

As I said, if they have the CDT results and Part 2 of the form, then there is no reason they don't have Part 1.
Forgive me if I rant on (yet) again. My ban was revoked seven months early. I had made two complaints and the Swansea duffers still replied to say my ban was in place.

I have a complaint pending with the next level with the ICA. Checks - been three months. and no response.
I never had a single acknowledgment of any complaint at any level . I just have the reference number that is automatically sent when you enter a complaint.
An educated guess is that their complaints log is so huge I may get a reply before I go to my grave . They are literally the North Korea of all organisations!!

I never had a single acknowledgment of any complaint at any level . I just have the reference number that is automatically sent when you enter a complaint.
An educated guess is that their complaints log is so huge I may get a reply before I go to my grave . They are literally the North Korea of all organisations!!
Yeah, planning application for a house would proceed quicker than anything by DVLA at the moment.
There is more movement in a SORN vehicle...

Thanks NileR.

If ever a system was designed to drive you to drink then it is this one.

I was given an email address where the Doctor could send the forms to (that they no longer have.)

I sent a complaint to this address (eftda@dvla.gov.uk) only for the email to be 'rejected' by the recipient.

It's worse than a farce, and this from someone that was a Civil Servant and know how hard most of us work.

Back to the phones I guess.
That's terrible Luna

That's terrible Luna.
In no way will DVLA even acknowledge they have made a mistake or apologise, I've experienced their "mistakes" before during another medical application and this added another 9 months onto the process.
There is an informal Facebook DVLA related page which I look at now and again and many people there have had success by contacting their MP to take up their case. I wouldn't bother with your MSP tbh as they wouldn't have any clout though I don't even think an MP has either but what is in your favour and where you have a legitimate complaint is that both forms were received together therefore they have lost one which has had a severe impact on your application and timescale.
I agree with you that you will unfortunately have to attend another medical as a direct result as they have nothing to base their decision on now.
DVLA are currently proposing the possibility of permitting other health professionals rather than just doctors and consultants to perform assessments for driving / fitness to drive but it would need a change in the law to permit this.
They are running an online questionnaire and are seeking feedback from professionals and the public.
It takes about 20 to 25 minutes to complete and this may make you feel a bit better getting your voice across.
There are several sections but responses are limited to 500 letters each unfortunately.
It might be worth a look. I'm not sure if the link though I'm sure you could find the survey quite easily via Google - it's on the Gov website.
All the best Luna, sheer incompetence would naturally make you angry. You've came a long way.
X

Perhaps it was rejected because the correct email address for the medical section is eftd@dvla.gov.U.K………?
But there is a separate procedure for registering complaints……..

Perhaps it was rejected because the correct email address for the medical section is eftd@dvla.gov.U.K………?
The full complaints process and options are on the DVLA
Thanks NileR.

If ever a system was designed to drive you to drink then it is this one.

I was given an email address where the Doctor could send the forms to (that they no longer have.)

I sent a complaint to this address (eftda@dvla.gov.uk) only for the email to be 'rejected' by the recipient.

It's worse than a farce, and this from someone that was a Civil Servant and know how hard most of us work.

Back to the phones I guess.
Follow the order of complaints and keep all automated replies and the reference numbers .

I’ll be honest and say I’ve never had a single acknowledgment of any complaint at any of the levels so far .

TH
You seem to have inserted a full stop between the U and the K in UK which means that the syntax is wrong.

I also tried postmaster@dvla.gov.uk but this also bounced back.

I have emailed tim.burton@dvla.gov.uk but from what I have read on this site, he has given up replying to these emails as he is getting so many of them.

I'm just going to spend the rest of the day tracking down as many email addresses as I can and sending the same message to all of them and see what happens.

The 'separate procedure' for registering complaints is merely a tick list and the only one vaguely applicable is for 'medical enquiries.' There is no option to elaborate and enter additional data.

I have now sent an email of complaint together with backup data to the following email addresses I found online.

julie.lennard@dvla.gsi.gov.uk; tony.ackroyd@dvla.gsi.gov.uk; racheal.cunningham@dvla.gsi.gov.uk; dave.perry@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

Found details on this page;

I can only hope one of them takes it seriously.
The full complaints process and options are on the DVLA

Follow the order of complaints and keep all automated replies and the reference numbers .

I’ll be honest and say I’ve never had a single acknowledgment of any complaint at any of the levels so far .
The online 'complaints processes. are a waste of time. There is no facility to add explanative text.

It is simply a 'record' of the fact you are complaining about the process.

You are right, I added a spurious . Between U and K, the problems with using a phone keypad with big thumbs!!!!
The email addresses you used with gsi.gov.uk are no good, they stopped using that suffix to their emails several years ago:

Well it's the up to date ones I found and so far they haven't bounce back, so I'll wait and see what happens.

You wouldn't happen to know what the correct email suffixes are would you?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off