my Journey so far

Convicted Driver Insurance

FS106

Thought I'd make a thread to keep track of my journey through the medical process so it's all in one place because I can't remember where I've posted my timeline so far.

Sent application : 12th July
Postal order cashed : 26th August
Medical letter arrived - 11th September

According to the letter dated the 7th that arrived with me today I've got to wait 4 working days before I can call to make an appointment so I shall do that Friday. Gives me time to get another photo and get someone to sign it as I don't have any photo ID to take along with me, unless I can use my old license?

I shall try keep this updated the best I can.

FS106

Thought I'd make a thread to keep track of my journey through the medical process so it's all in one place because I can't remember where I've posted my timeline so far.

According to the letter dated the 7th that arrived with me today I've got to wait 4 working days before I can call to make an appointment so I shall do that Friday. Gives me time to get another photo and get someone to sign it as I don't have any photo ID to take along with me, unless I can use my old license?

I shall try keep this updated the best I can.

FS106
You and I are almost on the same cycle.

I applied on the 15th July.
Cheque was cashed on the 31st August.
Medical letter: Still waiting on it but as I have begun to suspect, your medical letter will arrive about 14 days after your cheque has been cashed. This means mine should be arriving on or about Tuesday 14th September.

The DVLA website says they are processing licence applications form the 24th June, so even that seems to be out of date.

Yeah I remember reading you and another user being roughly around the same date's so every other day I've been checking to see if either of you had posted any update.

Hopefully you'll get it around about then.

I did notice that yesterday I thought how have I got to this point before the processing date, certainly not complaining on that front, I wasn't expecting any letter for a good few weeks yet, although I did send my application direct to the medical department and not back in the envelope they sent me with the application with a different postal code on.

Just want to get cracked on with it now.

Yeah I remember reading you and another user being roughly around the same date's so every other day I've been checking to see if either of you had posted any update.

Hopefully you'll get it around about then.

I did notice that yesterday I thought how have I got to this point before the processing date, certainly not complaining on that front, I wasn't expecting any letter for a good few weeks yet, although I did send my application direct to the medical department and not back in the envelope they sent me with the application with a different postal code on.

Just want to get cracked on with it now.
I also sent my application directly to the Medical section. I also sent a D1 form I got from the post office and a DR1 I downloaded from a link on this website.

The D27P form sent by the DVLA to HRO's did not arrive until around the 20th.

My understanding now is that you no longer need to complete a DR1 form with your application. This is now done at your medical.

Hi All
I completed my DR1 form as requested, when I applied for my new license ( the first following the end of my ban in November 2019 and the second due for DVLA review in November 2020 )It was therefore a DVLA Medical rather than HRO.
I took a screen shot of the form I submitted to the DVLA and made sure that after discussion with myself, the information my GP reflected the same, and it was all based on how my health was.
Good luck everyone Jane

Rang to book medical today was informed they have nothing until at least the end of October but can't advise when the earliest would be as they haven't got the calendar visible for Nov yet, said they would take my number and call back....cut off date I have is the 30th of Nov not holding out much hope.

Quite Pee'd off to be honest was hoping to get it done and out the way.

Rang to book medical today was informed they have nothing until at least the end of October but can't advise when the earliest would be as they haven't got the calendar visible for Nov yet, said they would take my number and call back....cut off date I have is the 30th of Nov not holding out much hope.

That's tough. Did you select the Doctor or did the DVLA allocate one?

That's tough. Did you select the Doctor or did the DVLA allocate one?
DVLA allocated me one, I rang them to see if anything could be done to change but they've told me to wait out to see if I get one before the 30th, if nothing till just after ring them and they will allow an extension but I HAVE to see that one they've allocated me.

DVLA allocated me one, I rang them to see if anything could be done to change but they've told me to wait out to see if I get one before the 30th, if nothing till just after ring them and they will allow an extension but I HAVE to see that one they've allocated me.
I actually phoned a medical practice I know that does work for the DVLA and they said there was no issue with bookings. I called DVLA and gave them this info and said that was my preferred medical practice which they recorded in file and was the one they allocated me. The actual Doctor is on holiday which is why I can't get an appointment for 2 weeks, but this is better than your situation. They normally allocate the Doctor based on the 'crow flies' principal so that you get the nearest one.

The last time they did that it turned out it was an hour by bus instead of 20 minutes by train for the one I ended up going to. I simply called and they changed to my preferred Doctor.

As long as the Doctor is on their approved list, you should be able to change it.

FS106

I had a similar issue at the end of my own ban late last year. I recieved a medical notification to make an appointment with a DVLA approved doctor in Preston, but the receptionist couldn't make me an appointment and stated they had a backlog to work through and couldn't anticipate when they would facilitate me.

I found another DVLA doctor, down the road in Southport who had available appointments immediately, but the DVLA medical team wouldn't let me switch over. I had to kick up a stink with their gaffer Tim Burton to get them to agree for me to visit the Southport doctor. They are p**s takers aren't they?

CJ

The same happened to me : a 5 week wait . If you are willing to take any cancellation let the Dr know and you may get lucky . I did : it brought mine forward a week .

FS106

I had a similar issue at the end of my own ban late last year. I recieved a medical notification to make an appointment with a DVLA approved doctor in Preston, but the receptionist couldn't make me an appointment and stated they had a backlog to work through and couldn't anticipate when they would facilitate me.

I found another DVLA doctor, down the road in Southport who had available appointments immediately, but the DVLA medical team wouldn't let me switch over. I had to kick up a stink with their gaffer Tim Burton to get them to agree for me to visit the Southport doctor. They are p**s takers aren't they?

CJ
You can say that again, I'm glad I rang to ask if I could switch but was told politely I had to use that one, In half my head im p*ssed off because I want it done but half of me is thinking ok just wait and not worry about it for another few weeks, I'll give it till part way into October and see if anything is available yet for Nov, or should I be making a fuss about it?

The same happened to me : a 5 week wait . If you are willing to take any cancellation let the Dr know and you may get lucky . I did : it brought mine forward a week .
To be honest the receptionist did ask for my contact number and said if anything does come up she will ring and let me know but at the moment she stated that they are really stuck.

It's frustrating what with the delays we've had already.

Just thought I'd pop on and update, decided to not really read the forum for a few weeks,

How ever 3 days after I rang for a medical to be told there was nothing in October available, I was called back and offered the 3rd of Nov which I obviously took,

So other than that no real update think the head is kicking into thinking mode.

Just thought I'd pop on and update, decided to not really read the forum for a few weeks,

How ever 3 days after I rang for a medical to be told there was nothing in October available, I was called back and offered the 3rd of Nov which I obviously took,

So other than that no real update think the head is kicking into thinking mode.
It must depend on which part of the country you live in.

I called the DVLA on 3rd Sept and told them the medical practice I wanted to use (I had already clarified with the practice that they could fit me in.)

I received a DVLA letter to book the test with my preferred practice on the 14th Sept and had my medical on 30th Sept. I would have had it sooner but the Doctor was on holiday.

I rang them again after 2 weeks and the 19th October (took 22 consecutive attempts, but I got through eventually,) and they confirmed that they had my Medical Report and CDT Results and it was awaiting review by the medical team. I was about to ask them what my CDT reading was but the line went dead and I couldn't be bothered trying another 22 times.

You will also NEVER get to speak to anyone apart from a Call Handler who will simply tell you what is recorded on the system.

Today is only just over 3 weeks since my medical and reading other peoples stories, the timelines are around 10-12 weeks for the Medical Team to make a decision from receipt of your info to either issue a licence or to write to your GP.

If they write to your GP, then as we say in Scotland, 'the ba's on the slates,' meaning you'll just need to wait for everything to fall into place.

I had hoped to be buying myself a new car for Christmas, but it now seems unlikely.

In saying that there is a post on the forum from one person saying that 4 weeks after his medical, a shiny, new licence appeared in his house via the mail.

If only.

First hoop has been jumped through today as my cheque has been cashed. So that's taken 4 weeks from me posting off my application.
Good luck everyone who's waiting. Not sure if it makes a difference but my application got sent to the address for keyworkers, so will see if my case is any quicker or not.

Thought I would just add to my thread

Medical - 3rd November

So this morning I went and had my medical not sure why I was stressing/worrying about it, It is now easy to say it's not as bad as it may sound.

My Dr was chatty making small talk and friendly straight away explained what the plan of action was, She read out the questions and I gave my answer's then it was that questionnaire with the scoring not sure what it's called got a total of 3 on that.
Took my height and weight, had to lie down listened to my breathing then had a feel around, bloods were then taken and I was done, 10/15mins max I was in there for.
She mentioned everything was in order and was happy.

I did ask about the DVLA writing to the GP part given my sparse history of going to the Dr's about anything, and she said well that's good means there is nothing there for them to go against,

So I'm now going to be joining the forever waiting queue everyone seems to be in, I will give it 4 weeks and ring the medical department to check they have got everything and see if there is by chance any update, even if its in regard to writting a letter to my GP, then I will try get in touch with them out of courtesy and give them a heads up if anything.

Let the waiting game begin.

The questions and the ‘ score of 3’ will be an “Audit questionnaire” that assesses a persons likely alcohol problems.
As to the relevance of the score of 3, it depends on the Audit test he / she used. It can be 3, 5 or 10 questions.

Last edited:

Medical - 3rd November

So this morning I went and had my medical not sure why I was stressing/worrying about it, It is now easy to say it's not as bad as it may sound.

My Dr was chatty making small talk and friendly straight away explained what the plan of action was, She read out the questions and I gave my answer's then it was that questionnaire with the scoring not sure what it's called got a total of 3 on that.
Took my height and weight, had to lie down listened to my breathing then had a feel around, bloods were then taken and I was done, 10/15mins max I was in there for.

I did ask about the DVLA writing to the GP part given my sparse history of going to the Dr's about anything, and she said well that's good means there is nothing there for them to go against,

So I'm now going to be joining the forever waiting queue everyone seems to be in, I will give it 4 weeks and ring the medical department to check they have got everything and see if there is by chance any update, even if its in regard to writting a letter to my GP, then I will try get in touch with them out of courtesy and give them a heads up if anything.
My dates were;

Licence Applied For
15/07/2021​
Application form Rec'd from DVLA
27/07/2021​
Called
24/08/2021​
Cheque Cashed
31/08/2021​
Called
03/09/2021​
Medical Letter Received
14/09/2021​
Medical
30/09/2021​

I'm still waiting on ANY correspondence from them.

I had a private CDT test carried out in July and that came back at 0.20% plus my score on the question sheet was only 1.

The waiting at this stage (when my ban expired on the 12th October,) is interminable.

Plus the medical is so cursory that any competent nurse could carry it out.

Medical - 3rd November

Let the waiting game begin.
Hi

I had my medical today as well!! The dr was not quite as nice as yours... no small talk at all and I travelled 140 miles to get an appointment as I had to wait until December for a local one.. I have not had a drink in 2.5 years. I quit completely after the offence in April 2019. The dr looked at me a little suspiciously which was not pleasant and then he had to ask me all of the questions about how often I drink etc. and I had to keep repeating "never" !

I am interested in the score issue. He did not tell me what score I had but I did answer yes to the questions "Has it ever caused you an issue in your relationship" as crashing a car drunk did cause me an issue... and yes to the question about "have you had an accident when drunk". It was no to everything else - he did not say if they would get in touch with my GP. I asked him and he said he did not know. I have nothing to hide if he does I am only bothered about more delays.

I will keep an eye on this to see when you hear anything in view of the fact we both had our medicals on the same day!!

The questions and the ‘ score of 3’ will be an “Audit questionnaire” that assesses a persons likely alcohol problems.
As to the relevance of the score of 3, it depends on the Audit test he / she used. It can be 3, 5 or 10 questions.
That's it I forgot what it was called thanks Price, she said it was a good low score I know it was more than 3 questions one.

My dates were;

Licence Applied For
15/07/2021​
Application form Rec'd from DVLA
27/07/2021​
Called
24/08/2021​
Cheque Cashed
31/08/2021​
Called
03/09/2021​
Medical Letter Received
14/09/2021​
Medical
30/09/2021​

I'm still waiting on ANY correspondence from them.

I had a private CDT test carried out in July and that came back at 0.20% plus my score on the question sheet was only 1.

The waiting at this stage (when my ban expired on the 12th October,) is interminable.

Plus the medical is so cursory that any competent nurse could carry it out.
Yeah I have been following your updates as our start dates were near enough within days of each other along with Gypy who is now sorted, here is hoping you don't have too much longer to wait for an answer. My Ban was actually up on the 28th of August I know I was late re- applying but I had not long been on holiday and didn't quite anticipate the wait dates plus wanted to get a medichecks one in at least.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off