Confused about medical and posts on this forum

Convicted Driver Insurance

Reets

Established Member
I’m really confused.

Some posts on here suggest DVLA contact HRO saying they have written to GP ?

Or does the medical examiner decide to contact GP post HRO medical?

I’m getting more terrified by the day about the medical in all honesty…

First time I applied (and was refused) DVLA wrote to me advising me that they had written to GP for more information. Second time I applied, (and got licence), DVLA contacted GP BEFORE my medical with DVLA doctor.
2 different experiences

First time I applied (and was refused) DVLA wrote to me advising me that they had written to GP for more information. Second time I applied, (and got licence), DVLA contacted GP BEFORE my medical with DVLA doctor.
2 different experiences
Thank you.

can I ask why you were refused first time?

Thank you.

can I ask why you were refused first time?
Because I was a heavy problem drinker and had started drinking again around the time of application. Sounds so stupid when I say it out loud but that’s the insanity I was living in. Always thought I could control it and I couldn’t.
I gave an Amber cdt so DVLA wrote to tell me they were contacting my GP and GP told them I had a an alcohol problem. I was told to abstain for one year before reapplying (which I did and am still sober now)

Because I was a heavy problem drinker and had started drinking again around the time of application. Sounds so stupid when I say it out loud but that’s the insanity I was living in. Always thought I could control it and I couldn’t.
I gave an Amber cdt so DVLA wrote to tell me they were contacting my GP and GP told them I had a an alcohol problem. I was told to abstain for one year before reapplying (which I did and am still sober now)
Thank you. Well done on your abstinence

Just seems a bit pointless having a medical if they then write to your GP then don’t give you your licence back..

Well I guess an Amber cdt is exactly that. They were unsure about my drinking so they wanted more information and they got it!!! 😕

I was terrified same as you the second time I applied because it was only after application (when I joined this forum) that I even thought about involving my GP. My GP had nothing on their system about my sobriety and I hadn’t seen them for months or years.
I did contact them once the application was well under way 🤦🏻‍♀️ and made sure they had it on record my sobriety date etc and told them about my DVLA application.
I guessed it was better late than never and at least I had my GP on my side if it came to an appeal

I’m feeling because I’m HRO I’m just not going to get my licence back. It’s been the worst time reliving a really stupid and shameful mistake. Also had someone contact me who found out I’d done the same through a friend of a friend who was done for HRO a couple of weekends back so reliving everything again through them whilst supporting them - it’s making me so anxious I feel like I’m going to fail the medical by the amount of stressful bile I’m producing!

I’m feeling because I’m HRO I’m just not going to get my licence back. It’s been the worst time reliving a really stupid and shameful mistake. Also had someone contact me who found out I’d done the same through a friend of a friend who was done for HRO a couple of weekends back so reliving everything again through them whilst supporting them - it’s making me so anxious I feel like I’m going to fail the medical by the amount of stressful bile I’m producing!

Listen, I feel your pain. It was one of the most stressful things I’ve ever gone through, the not knowing. I was 10 months waiting for mine because it was January -October 2020 right through covid. I had everything against me from a GP point of view (rehab, detox, a and e, you name it. And for years!!!!) AND i’d had licence refused 18 months previously. Also my reading was 121. (Pretty higj
My experience is this:
When I was still drinking heavily and shouldn’t have been driving, I didn’t get my licence back.
When I did what was asked of me and stayed 100% sober, I got it back.
DVLA aren’t stupid but they’re also not unfair either (in my experience). If you are doing the right things (drinking responsibly or whatever) then you should be ok.
Good luck 🤞🏼

I’m really confused.

Some posts on here suggest DVLA contact HRO saying they have written to GP ?

Or does the medical examiner decide to contact GP post HRO medical?

I’m getting more terrified by the day about the medical in all honesty…
Hi there. I think it is confusing as people are talking about medicals and processes according to their own particular circumstances, and those processes vary depending on circumstances . If you have been disqualified further to an offence and are a HRO applying for your licence back at the end of the disqualification, the DVLA asks you to attend a medical with the DVLA appointed examiner. That Dr reports back to DVLA. My ban was alcohol related so I had a blood test and the Dr filled in a simple questionnaire. I think it is different if drugs are involved . The DVLA then decide , on occasions it appears randomly , if they want to contact the persons own GP.

Hi there. I think it is confusing as people are talking about medicals and processes according to their own particular circumstances, and those processes vary depending on circumstances . If you have been disqualified further to an offence and are a HRO applying for your licence back at the end of the disqualification, the DVLA asks you to attend a medical with the DVLA appointed examiner. That Dr reports back to DVLA. My ban was alcohol related so I had a blood test and the Dr filled in a simple questionnaire. I think it is different if drugs are involved . The DVLA then decide , on occasions it appears randomly , if they want to contact the persons own GP.
Thanks Polly. And assume you got yours back? Was it for a year? Were you drinking or abstinent? Thanks :)

Thanks Polly. And assume you got yours back? Was it for a year?
I’m still stuck in the highly inefficient process. I actually haven’t drunk alcohol for nearly 2 years but this isn’t logged with my GP as I’ve not had identified alcohol issues as such ( clearly needed to stop though) . I went for the DVLA medical , bloods must have been fine but I identified I’d been treated for depression. They are now writing to GP.

Thank you. Well done on your abstinence

Just seems a bit pointless having a medical if they then write to your GP then don’t give you your licence back..
The DVLA medical is a snapshot of your physical health at that point in time. They write to the GP who has a longer record of your circumstances. Stops someone giving up drinking just to get through the DVLA medical when they obviously have an issue that the GP is aware of.

The DVLA medical is a snapshot of your physical health at that point in time. They write to the GP who has a longer record of your circumstances. Stops someone giving up drinking just to get through the DVLA medical when they obviously have an issue that the GP is aware of.
Thanks. So I need to contact my GP and mention all of this?

Thanks. So I need to contact my GP and mention all of this?
Won't hurt. Speak to your GP, explain you are looking to get your licence back and get them on board. Most GP's are really helpful and will do what they can to help. If you have a history of dependence or abuse, ensure the GP records are now up to date with your current circumstances. Getting LFT's done may help also if DVLA decide to class you as an abuser or dependent...

Won't hurt. Speak to your GP, explain you are looking to get your licence back and get them on board. Most GP's are really helpful and will do what they can to help. If you have a history of dependence or abuse, ensure the GP records are now up to date with your current circumstances. Getting LFT's done may help also if DVLA decide to class you as an abuser or dependent...
I’m just completely paranoid about it. Booked medical today. I’m not an abuser or dependent. Just finding the process is never ending - obviously what I deserve - but the guilt and everything is back full-fold !
Thanks for your reply

I’m just completely paranoid about it. Booked medical today. I’m not an abuser or dependent. Just finding the process is never ending - obviously what I deserve - but the guilt and everything is back full-fold !
Thanks for your reply
Great to hear you booked your medical. What have your time frames been? When did you send your d1 form off? When did you hear back etc?

Great to hear you booked your medical. What have your time frames been? When did you send your d1 form off? When did you hear back etc?

So - sent my D1 off after I finished my course (Feb) and 3m before my new ban date (end of May)
27 March ban reduced on website
Mid April driving licence D1 app posted with new photo
10 May cheque cashed by DVLA
30 May (dated) letter for medical received
06/06 called for medical appointment
12/07 Medical.

I’m dreading it tbh. I had 16m off due to shame and external influences (family blah). I was never labelled an alcoholic or dependent but I had never done something so stupid. Anyway after the final lockdown I decided to drink moderately so started again in May. Followed a couple of bingy weekends and I had a wedding Saturday just gone. I abstained last week then had 1/2 glass of wine, a glass of Prosecco and a bottle of peroni late in the evening (which I ended up throwing 1/3 of over my bag 🙄) at the wedding. Of course now I’m panicking that my levels are crazy high.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off