First offence

Convicted Driver Insurance

Mixxymash

I’m so glad I found this forum. I’ve been in such a bad way since being caught drunk driving 8 days ago and really don’t know what to expect. I made the most awful mistake of getting in the car after having a lot to drink over a couple of days. I’m a recovering alcoholic and had not had a drink for 8months but unfortunately have just come out of therapy for childhood trauma and domestic violence and experienced some very dark thoughts.
It’s my first offence but did blow 105 at the police station.
Was just hoping for advice on how to tell your partner and friends? I’m so scared.
Thanks in advance

I’m so glad I found this forum. I’ve been in such a bad way since being caught drunk driving 8 days ago and really don’t know what to expect. I made the most awful mistake of getting in the car after having a lot to drink over a couple of days. I’m a recovering alcoholic and had not had a drink for 8months but unfortunately have just come out of therapy for childhood trauma and domestic violence and experienced some very dark thoughts.
Was just hoping for advice on how to tell your partner and friends? I’m so scared.
Thanks in advance
Hey, sorry to hear of your troubles. Seems like you've been trying so hard but from what you've described the therapy took you to a place where unfortunately you relapsed.
Have you got a court date yet?

Unfortunately because of the level of the reading you will be classed as a high risk Offender and will therefore have to undertake a Dvla medical assessment before your licence can be reissued. There are sentencing guidelines specific to your reading on this forum.

In regards to telling your partner and friends, that depends on your personal relationships with them. If they're a good partner and good friends they will support you

Thanks in advance
You cannot undo what you have done.
You are frightened about telling your partner and friends but they are the very people that you need now to support you,
Your biggest fear about telling them is causing you more anxiety and I would urge you to tell either your partner or your best friend as soon as possible. Then you can work out with them how to tell anyone else.
We all make mistakes. This is a pretty big one but sharing how you feel with someone close to you may well help ease how you feel.

Hey, sorry to hear of your troubles. Seems like you've been trying so hard but from what you've described the therapy took you to a place where unfortunately you relapsed.
Have you got a court date yet?

Unfortunately because of the level of the reading you will be classed as a high risk Offender and will therefore have to undertake a Dvla medical assessment before your licence can be reissued. There are sentencing guidelines specific to your reading on this forum.

In regards to telling your partner and friends, that depends on your personal relationships with them. If they're a good partner and good friends they will support you
Thank you so much for the reply. Has put me at ease. I’m seeing my partner Tuesday and I guess we’ll just go from there. He’s pretty understanding and in his youth was banned for a year when he was younger

You cannot undo what you have done.
You are frightened about telling your partner and friends but they are the very people that you need now to support you,
Your biggest fear about telling them is causing you more anxiety and I would urge you to tell either your partner or your best friend as soon as possible. Then you can work out with them how to tell anyone else.
We all make mistakes. This is a pretty big one but sharing how you feel with someone close to you may well help ease how you feel.
Thanks again. Just so ashamed but am still being supported by an alcohol service and I’m sure they too can support and advice

Thanks again. Just so ashamed but am still being supported by an alcohol service and I’m sure they too can support and advice
Your shame is not being helped by the fear of what the reaction will be from your partner. It is inevitable that he will find out at some point, so the sooner you tell him the sooner that fear will abate.

Thank you so much for the reply. Has put me at ease. I’m seeing my partner Tuesday and I guess we’ll just go from there. He’s pretty understanding and in his youth was banned for a year when he was younger
You seem like a good person, it seems as though you are more worried about your loved ones than yourself. Try not to dwell too much before Tuesday, just take it as it comes

The taxi driver who drive me home from the police holding centre where the cells are, said
“ just be honest don’t try to hide it, you will find out who your true friends are “
I struggled telling friends to wrote a message which I texted or emailed
Out of true friends nearly all still around, couple fell away. Your partner I guess knows of your past & I hope will stand by you
Seek out help & don’t hide away

The taxi driver who drive me home from the police holding centre where the cells are, said
“ just be honest don’t try to hide it, you will find out who your true friends are “
I struggled telling friends to wrote a message which I texted or emailed
Out of true friends nearly all still around, couple fell away. Your partner I guess knows of your past & I hope will stand by you
Seek out help & don’t hide away
Yes he’s very aware and supported me with the alcohol so much over the last eight months. Fortunately I have a small circle of friends. The ones I’ll tell I’m pretty sure will be supportive!

Appreciate the effort people have made to reply to me. I’ve felt so alone and lost.

Agree with showgal. Telling people helps relieve the anxiety. Hold on to the shame, because that may provide you with the impetus to address your alcohol issues. I have dealt with many people on the Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course who had to be caught drunk driving to finally make them accept their alcohol demons and turn their life round.
You can end up stronger after this, but you have to go through the process one step at a time.
There are plenty of people on here who are or have been in the same boat so you will get support through this... to supplement the support from your partner.

Agree with showgal. Telling people helps relieve the anxiety. Hold on to the shame, because that may provide you with the impetus to address your alcohol issues. I have dealt with many people on the Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course who had to be caught drunk driving to finally make them accept their alcohol demons and turn their life round.
You can end up stronger after this, but you have to go through the process one step at a time.
There are plenty of people on here who are or have been in the same boat so you will get support through this... to supplement the support from your partner.
Booked my course this morning and feel like this is a positive step. I managed to get an online one thankfully (I am struggling to leave the house which is something I need to address soon) x

Reactions: TPR
I understand why you want the online course, but is is a shame in a way because the interaction with other people in the same position as you at break times can be Henry therapeutic.
Are you doing the course with a first class company.........? 😉

I understand why you want the online course, but is is a shame in a way because the interaction with other people in the same position as you at break times can be Henry therapeutic.
Are you doing the course with a first class company.........? 😉
Ha ha I did think of you but didn’t have a choice. I was told to go with ‘I am road smart’ I probably could have done with the interaction tbh but the thought of going out in public atm is causing terrible panic and anxiety x

Thank you. I have been trying so hard to address my addiction and am being supported by an alcohol and drug service. They’re stepping up the support to help me and finally getting put on medicine to stop the cravings. They’re also trying to involve my community mental health team and work together with me.

Ha ha I did think of you but didn’t have a choice. I was told to go with ‘I am road smart’ I probably could have done with the interaction tbh but the thought of going out in public atm is causing terrible panic and anxiety x
Did the court tell you who to do the course with? They are supposed to ask you which provider you would like to use, and there should be a list of providers either outside the court or in front of you when you are in court.

Did the court tell you who to do the course with? They are supposed to ask you which provider you would like to use, and there should be a list of providers either outside the court or in front of you when you are in court.
I was just given the company that covered my area which was TTC didn’t get any choice. Got mine done just before the first lockdown. But no choices.

As I mentioned to you I got thrown in the deep end, & I was sure everyone was looking at me & whispering
If it helps go out on a “ busy” news day when everyone got something to talk about

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off