DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
My ban ended in June last year after doing the DD course so it could be worse! Believe me I know it's difficult to keep being patient but it'll come through for us soon, I'm sure!👌🏼
Do you still not have your licence back ?

Do you still not have your licence back
I only got round to applying in January this year due to not being able to book medicals in my area during lockdown 1 last year, I had my medical on the 10th of march and I'm just waiting for the results to be reviewed now.

I only got round to applying in January this year due to not being able to book medicals in my area during lockdown 1 last year, I had my medical on the 10th of march and I'm just waiting for the results to be reviewed now.
You have been patient I’m pulling my hair out at the thought of having to wait .. I sent my medical questionaire back last week just a waiting game isn’t it

Hi All,

An update from me, i had my medical yesterday, very straightforward, took bloods, went through my questionnaire briefly. I think it helped a lot that i confirmed i haven't had a drink since Jan 10th 2020, so about 450+ days dry, which allowed the Dr to tick his questions off. He advised it would all be sent off to the lab, and can take up to 6 weeks, but as my alcohol level should be very low, he said it could go through in a couple of weeks.
I was very honest on the questionnaire, obviously no issues in the last year, but stated in the last 3 years i have misused alcohol. Also confirmed i have had mental health issues, confirmed to the GP i am on a low dose of Sertraline. He didn't seem too bothered or questioned it any further.

In respect to getting this appointment, all i can advise is to book it ASAP, although the letter from the DVLA states you have to pay when booking (this may vary GP to GP) but the one i was assigned to stated i pay on the day, so don't let funds stop you from calling and booking. It sounds like the majority are running one DVLA appointment a week, so you can imagine the timeframe it may take even if you called today. I had to wait a couple of months.

Quick question, i have read a couple of times when waiting for the DVLA to confirm a new licence has been granted, the person is constantly refreshing a website to see the confirmation of this.....am i right in thinking this is the Gov.UK one where you can see your licence details, or is there another?

Any questions, i am happy to answer if anyone is at this stage or about to begin it.

Thanks

Hi All,

An update from me, i had my medical yesterday, very straightforward, took bloods, went through my questionnaire briefly. I think it helped a lot that i confirmed i haven't had a drink since Jan 10th 2020, so about 450+ days dry, which allowed the Dr to tick his questions off. He advised it would all be sent off to the lab, and can take up to 6 weeks, but as my alcohol level should be very low, he said it could go through in a couple of weeks.
I was very honest on the questionnaire, obviously no issues in the last year, but stated in the last 3 years i have misused alcohol. Also confirmed i have had mental health issues, confirmed to the GP i am on a low dose of Sertraline. He didn't seem too bothered or questioned it any further.

In respect to getting this appointment, all i can advise is to book it ASAP, although the letter from the DVLA states you have to pay when booking (this may vary GP to GP) but the one i was assigned to stated i pay on the day, so don't let funds stop you from calling and booking. It sounds like the majority are running one DVLA appointment a week, so you can imagine the timeframe it may take even if you called today. I had to wait a couple of months.

Quick question, i have read a couple of times when waiting for the DVLA to confirm a new licence has been granted, the person is constantly refreshing a website to see the confirmation of this.....am i right in thinking this is the Gov.UK one where you can see your licence details, or is there another?

Any questions, i am happy to answer if anyone is at this stage or about to begin it.

Thanks
Yep gov.uk tap in your licence number, if you don't know it you can do it with your national insurance number and a few more security details, good luck with results

It is Tim.burton@dvla.gov.uk but as RobT26 says, there is a widespread strike at DVLA this week
Ive seen numerous people mention emailing Tim Burton. Can you advise on what grounds to email him? My GP sent off the report to the DVLA on March 8th, but I still haven't heard anything and no update has been made when I check my licence on the gov website. I have been trying to call them for weeks now and can never get through, I realise they are on strike this week so that wont be helping matters. Any tips would be appreciated, trying to remain patient.

Well guys, it's finally happened, I HAVE MY FULL LICENCE BACK!

Thank you to all that answered my questions and reassured me on this journey, it's massively appreciated!

For context,
I was banned in December 2018 for 24 months, reduced to 18 with the DD awareness course along with 80 hours community service for crashing my car and blowing 100 at the station.
Due to covid I wasn't able to get things rolling until the beginning of this year so I sent my application and check off on the 27th January, got a response to book my medical around 5 weeks later, managed to get in for said medical a week later on the 10th of march, about 2 weeks later I called the DVLA to check they had received my results (the had) and then it was a waiting game until today 9th April so a month from medical to recieving my licence back.
I was able to answer no or very little with precise dates and units of alcohol to the questions on the medical, aside from "have you had and accident as a result of alcohol intake" (crashed car at time of arrest) and "have you or anyone else been injured as a result of alcohol intake" (broke my nose in the crash) which I answered yes to.
I only had 5 beers between 1st January and my medical and didn't do anything else to try and lower my CDT level.

I hope this helps people out a little and good luck on all your journeys (hopefully by car sooner rather than later) :)

Hi There,
Just thought Id give some info of my experience, it was a 5 month process overall.
I am a HRO - with previous alcohol misuse + mental health medication
November 20th 2020 - applied for licence
Medical postponed multiple times due to covid
Feb 22nd - Medical finally took place
March 9th - DVLA sent letter advising they'd contact GP for further info
April 8th - Spoke to GP who advised report was sent in early March
April 8th - emailed Tim Burton requesting an update
April 9th - DVLA called and advised Id been issued with 1 year licence as of midnight tonight.
Also, I abstained from any alcohol for 14 months prior to CDT test and got result of 0.4%

Hi there!
wondering if anyone can shes some light?
i lost my license back in 2019, banned for 24months, reduced to 18 with the DDCourse. Classed as a HRO.
Attended my medical on the 2nd march 21. Doctor said he could’nt see there being any problems. Never had any issues with drink. Have a bottle of wine at weekends and only drink silly amounts when out with friends.
rang the dvla two weeks later who informed me they hadnt recieved my medical questionaire, just my bloods. Rang the week after to be told the same thing so i rang the surgery who confirmed they had sent everything on the same day (2nd march) to the dvla but they would resend it as it had been three weeks. Rang afew days later and dvla confirmed they had recieved my questionaire and it was now in the hands of the medical team! I have rang every few days and they have still not even reviewed it.
My ban was up on the 3rd april and im getting so impatient waiting for the dvla!
Do you think im going to be waiting much longer? Its annoying that you pay money to do a course to enable you to drive earlier and right at the last hurdle the dvla hold you up!
Is it worth emailing this tim burton guy?

Hi there!
wondering if anyone can shes some light?
i lost my license back in 2019, banned for 24months, reduced to 18 with the DDCourse. Classed as a HRO.
Attended my medical on the 2nd march 21. Doctor said he could’nt see there being any problems. Never had any issues with drink. Have a bottle of wine at weekends and only drink silly amounts when out with friends.
rang the dvla two weeks later who informed me they hadnt recieved my medical questionaire, just my bloods. Rang the week after to be told the same thing so i rang the surgery who confirmed they had sent everything on the same day (2nd march) to the dvla but they would resend it as it had been three weeks. Rang afew days later and dvla confirmed they had recieved my questionaire and it was now in the hands of the medical team! I have rang every few days and they have still not even reviewed it.
My ban was up on the 3rd april and im getting so impatient waiting for the dvla!
Do you think im going to be waiting much longer? Its annoying that you pay money to do a course to enable you to drive earlier and right at the last hurdle the dvla hold you up!
Is it worth emailing this tim burton guy?
I would recommend emailing Tim Burton, after a 4 week wait for them to review my case, I emailed him and received a call 17 hours later approving it.

I’ve already done my medical exam. And then sent a D1 back and now they’ve sent another form out for my doctor to complete, can anybody tell me what form is sent to the doctor what kind of questions? Has anybody actually completed this form with their doctor in person?

Hi all,

I've been reading through some of the comments and I really appreciate that there's been some light shed on this situation :)

My query is; whats the deal with length of time it takes to get a medical from dvla after sending D1 form off? I know its all up in the air due to covid but I just wana give myself enough time to recalibrate.
I sent my form 31st of March. I've checked the post office delivery and it states that my form was delivered. I'm also still waiting on receiving my birth certificate which I sent return special delivery.

Many thanks

I’ve already done my medical exam. And then sent a D1 back and now they’ve sent another form out for my doctor to complete, can anybody tell me what form is sent to the doctor what kind of questions? Has anybody actually completed this form with their doctor in person?
This is the form.
With Covid, your doctor MIGHT do it with you over the phone, but probably not in person:

Hi all,

I've been reading through some of the comments and I really appreciate that there's been some light shed on this situation :)

My query is; whats the deal with length of time it takes to get a medical from dvla after sending D1 form off? I know its all up in the air due to covid but I just wana give myself enough time to recalibrate.
I sent my form 31st of March. I've checked the post office delivery and it states that my form was delivered. I'm also still waiting on receiving my birth certificate which I sent return special delivery.

Many thanks
I sent my DG1 & application on 6th April 2020 and received the "You need to make an appt to see this Dr for a medical" letter dated March 2, 2021, so that was a bit of a wait! But that was 2020-Year-Of-The-Pandemic and I believe they've also done all the interaction with my GP already.

Hi There,
Just thought Id give some info of my experience, it was a 5 month process overall.
I am a HRO - with previous alcohol misuse + mental health medication
November 20th 2020 - applied for licence
Medical postponed multiple times due to covid
Feb 22nd - Medical finally took place
March 9th - DVLA sent letter advising they'd contact GP for further info
April 8th - Spoke to GP who advised report was sent in early March
April 8th - emailed Tim Burton requesting an update
April 9th - DVLA called and advised Id been issued with 1 year licence as of midnight tonight.
Also, I abstained from any alcohol for 14 months prior to CDT test and got result of 0.4%
Hi, what’s the reason for being issued with a 1 year? Is it became you’re on medication? Hope you don’t mind me asking

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off