Timescale to HAVE a medical

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hello,

I am currently disqualified and classed as a HRO (requiring a medical).
I have read others posts on this site regarding waiting for their medical results / issue of licence.

However- I haven't yet been lucky enough to be given the opportunity to book a medical appointment.

90 days before the end was Friday 19th Feb. On Monday 22nd I sent a D1 application (with new photo / passport no included etc). It was tracked / signed for, received by DVLA at 8AM on Tuesday 23rd Feb.
(Note- on the 24th I received the DVLAs form in the post- after reading these forums I didn't expect this, however I had already sent the D1 from the post office).

I have managed to get through to the DVLA on the phone (after MANY attempts on many occassions).
They have advised that they have received my application, however it has not been looked at, and is in a queue to be assessed.
They advise that once it has been assessed, I will be sent the details required in order to book a medical.
- They have not cashed the cheque at this time.

They have had my application for 5 weeks tomorrow.
My ban ends 20.05.2021, however I require a medical as I blew just over the 87.5.
Due to my (lack of) drinking habits I would not expect any issue with the medical / CDT etc.

DVLA will not advise on a timescale that they will process my application and send me details of how/where to get a medical. As many of you are aware, this is very frustrating.

It might be a 'how long is a piece of string' question, however I am completely reliant on being able to drive for work (the past year has been VERY difficult...) and even knowing whether I might have this done before the disqualification ends in May, or maybe if it would be done by August? or Christmas.. would allow me to plan ahead a bit.

- I have now realised that if I don't hold a licence again before the end of May, my no claims will no longer be accepted anywhere due to the gap- which more than doubles the pretendy insurance quotes I've done online (it just get's better doesn't it?)!

In summary-
for somebody who has applied in February- 90 days before the end of their ban as a HRO, is anybody able to offer a timescale based on their experience?
(England)

Thanks

Hello,

I have read others posts on this site regarding waiting for their medical results / issue of licence.

However- I haven't yet been lucky enough to be given the opportunity to book a medical appointment.

90 days before the end was Friday 19th Feb. On Monday 22nd I sent a D1 application (with new photo / passport no included etc). It was tracked / signed for, received by DVLA at 8AM on Tuesday 23rd Feb.
(Note- on the 24th I received the DVLAs form in the post- after reading these forums I didn't expect this, however I had already sent the D1 from the post office).

I have managed to get through to the DVLA on the phone (after MANY attempts on many occassions).
They have advised that they have received my application, however it has not been looked at, and is in a queue to be assessed.
They advise that once it has been assessed, I will be sent the details required in order to book a medical.

My ban ends 20.05.2021, however I require a medical as I blew just over the 87.5.
Due to my (lack of) drinking habits I would not expect any issue with the medical / CDT etc.

DVLA will not advise on a timescale that they will process my application and send me details of how/where to get a medical. As many of you are aware, this is very frustrating.

It might be a 'how long is a piece of string' question, however I am completely reliant on being able to drive for work (the past year has been VERY difficult...) and even knowing whether I might have this done before the disqualification ends in May, or maybe if it would be done by August? or Christmas.. would allow me to plan ahead a bit.

- I have now realised that if I don't hold a licence again before the end of May, my no claims will no longer be accepted anywhere due to the gap- which more than doubles the pretendy insurance quotes I've done online (it just get's better doesn't it?)!

In summary-
for somebody who has applied in February- 90 days before the end of their ban as a HRO, is anybody able to offer a timescale based on their experience?
(England)

Thanks
Hello mate, from the day I sent my application off it took five and a half weeks to get a letter back to book my medical, I waited until the next day to ring the DVLA appointed doctor and had my medical booked in for a week later, it'll have been three weeks since I had my medical on Wednesday this week and I've heard nothing other than that they have my results and they're waiting for the medical team to review them and make a decision.
It's different for everyone but I hope this gives some sort of idea what to expect.
Good luck with everything mate.

Hello mate, from the day I sent my application off it took five and a half weeks to get a letter back to book my medical, I waited until the next day to ring the DVLA appointed doctor and had my medical booked in for a week later, it'll have been three weeks since I had my medical on Wednesday this week and I've heard nothing other than that they have my results and they're waiting for the medical team to review them and make a decision.
It's different for everyone but I hope this gives some sort of idea what to expect.
Good luck with everything mate.
Thanks,
Was that recently?

I know everyones different but I wouldn't like to compare my situation to say, someone who applied in the middle of the first lockdown!

Best of luck mate

Thanks,
Was that recently?

I know everyones different but I wouldn't like to compare my situation to say, someone who applied in the middle of the first lockdown!

Best of luck mate
Yep, I had my medical on the 10th of march mate so I only applied a couple weeks before you I reckon buddy.

My experience so far:

Ban meant to end 29th March 2021.

5 January I received the form from the DVLA, submited the next day. 2 weeks later received the letter inviting me to the medical. I rang up the DVLA doctor and the earliest they could do was 17th March...

Now waiting for results etc!

Sent my D1 and medical form in a month ago and spoke to dvla a week last friday which confirmed they had received it.Nice lady on the phone just said its with the medical dept and will send a letter in due course.

My application was received nine weeks ago. Emailed but no response. After trying 40 odd times, finally got through to a (very nice) person who said basically have to wait. My 9+ year protected NCB has evaporated. Also my three year pre-paid In'n'Out (no, not the burgers) schedule. After reading your responses, any recommendations? (FWIW ban removed early. Might this have any bearing on the paperwork trail?)

My experience so far:

Ban meant to end 29th March 2021.

5 January I received the form from the DVLA, submited the next day. 2 weeks later received the letter inviting me to the medical. I rang up the DVLA doctor and the earliest they could do was 17th March...

Now waiting for results etc!
SAME HERE SAME DATE

Hello,

In summary-
(England)

Thanks
INSURANCE NCD - That depends how big that gap is and who your insurance provider is. Most insurance providers will say a no claims discount is invalid if you have a break in your car insurance of two years or more, where as other providers may go to three years. So, it pays to shop around and ask questions.

INSURANCE NCD - That depends how big that gap is and who your insurance provider is. Most insurance providers will say a no claims discount is invalid if you have a break in your car insurance of two years or more, where as other providers may go to three years. So, it pays to shop around and ask questions.
Well, thats a bonus.

I'm no further forward at the moment.
After the bank holiday weekend they will have had my application for 6 weeks, and it is yet to be reviewed or details of where to get a medical sent out. They again told me that they can't advise on a timescale.

I was informed on my dd course that the 90 days before you can apply does not include weekends. Which was annoying as I did the course in January and it turns out I could have applied end of December if I’d have completed the course sooner! Ban ends 4th of may but they only received my application on 9th of March so long wait ahead. All my fault though I should have joined this forum last year then I’d have been on the ball on applied and used the full 90 days.

I was informed on my dd course that the 90 days before you can apply does not include weekends. Which was annoying as I did the course in January and it turns out I could have applied end of December if I’d have completed the course sooner! Ban ends 4th of may but they only received my application on 9th of March so long wait ahead. All my fault though I should have joined this forum last year then I’d have been on the ball on applied and used the full 90 days.
Better late than never

I think you will find that the advice is to apply 90 days before but that would not include A weekend..... so if the 90 days before was a Saturday, the first valid day would be the monday after, not that you could apply 90 working days before you ban was up, based on a 5 day week.
With your ban ending on 4th May, the earliest you could have applied was 3rd February, not December time. You did not have to wait for the form to arrive from DVLA, you could have got one from the post office and submitted it for 3/2/21.
That, of course, depends on when your course finished in January. You have to wait until you get your certificate from the course and allow time for DVLA to receive notification from the court that the course provider has confirmed that your course has been completed. This can take 2 weeks. Before then DVLA will not be aware that you have a reduction in your ban and would just return your application as being too early.

Makes me feel better then thought the no weekends seemed strange, that’s what the trainer told me but I messed up anyways as when the DVLA recognised my reduced ban I couldn’t apply straight away as I couldn’t find my passport to apply. I applied for a new passport which took 3 weeks then I found my old passport my daughter had it in her purse and toys! All my fault should have been more prepared so I’ve added a few weeks more till I get to do the medical.

It even includes within the article that not one staff member is off in isolation, the numbers are coming down and vaccinations going up but yet they still wanted to push them to strike!

I thought I'd just update this thread on my application progress, in case this is of interest to anyone.

Just to recap- I applied (D1) at the end of February for return of licence as a HRO.

I recently received the letter to book a medical, the DVLA doctor received their copy a week later. Luckily they are running extra appointments to clear the backlog and on top of that they had a cancellation (I'm guessing the pubs reopening this week was too tempting for someone) so my appointment is in a weeks time.

My medical appointment is therefore roughly two months from sending my initial application.
The DVLA advised that they should process the application within four weeks of completion of the medical (allowing 1 week for results and 3 weeks to process). If that's the case I think I have been lucky with the timescale of it and should have my application fully processed 'on time'- unless my GP is contacted and then the ball is in their court.

I haven't really drank (few on christmas day, can't remember before that to be fair) so if my CDT result raises issues I'll be very surprised (and concerned)!

I have downloaded a copy of the form that gets filled in at the medical which is numbered DR1 (is this the right one)? It asks for details of your consultant etc and 'date last seen by GP for this condition' and so on. I can't really fill this form in as I don't have a consultant for anything or a condition to have seen the GP about?

Question 1 states "As a result of alcohol dependence, have you needed to take prescribed medication.. blah blah"
I am not alcohol dependant, drug misuse or any of the other things questioned on the form.
Am I looking at the wrong form?

I thought I'd just update this thread on my application progress, in case this is of interest to anyone.

Just to recap- I applied (D1) at the end of February for return of licence as a HRO.

I recently received the letter to book a medical, the DVLA doctor received their copy a week later. Luckily they are running extra appointments to clear the backlog and on top of that they had a cancellation (I'm guessing the pubs reopening this week was too tempting for someone) so my appointment is in a weeks time.

My medical appointment is therefore roughly two months from sending my initial application.
The DVLA advised that they should process the application within four weeks of completion of the medical (allowing 1 week for results and 3 weeks to process). If that's the case I think I have been lucky with the timescale of it and should have my application fully processed 'on time'- unless my GP is contacted and then the ball is in their court.

I haven't really drank (few on christmas day, can't remember before that to be fair) so if my CDT result raises issues I'll be very surprised (and concerned)!

I have downloaded a copy of the form that gets filled in at the medical which is numbered DR1 (is this the right one)? It asks for details of your consultant etc and 'date last seen by GP for this condition' and so on. I can't really fill this form in as I don't have a consultant for anything or a condition to have seen the GP about?

Question 1 states "As a result of alcohol dependence, have you needed to take prescribed medication.. blah blah"
I am not alcohol dependant, drug misuse or any of the other things questioned on the form.
YOU WILL BE FINE 4 WEEKS ALL IN ALL TO GET MINE BACK

You are looking at the correct form, just mark No or N/A as applicable to the questions that do not relate to your circumstances.

Is there any merit either way with the final ticky boxes, - why would or wouldnt you tick yes to these;

"Inform my Doctor(s) of the outcome of my case Y/N"
"Release my medical infomration, and any other relevant information, to my doctor(s) by postal or electronic (fax or email) channels Y/N"

Thanks for your advice.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off