Licence refused, how to prove no alcohol for a year?

Convicted Driver Insurance
Good morning, I have had my license revoked for 13 months now it was originally supposed to be for 6 months but because of the Covid bullshit I am still waiting, even after presenting 3 x (DVLA required) blood tests, (1) which they said got destroyed in the post from the doctors, (2) which DVLA said they needed more information from the second doctor & (3) i am still waiting I am fuming I ring them every week but just get palmed off with "Its at the medical dept" you will have to wait, I have even written to my MP & that's done nothing, please someone help me...
Hi there, might be worth trying an email to medical support.
my medical license expired last August, an independent medical was requested but couldn’t be provided and I was similarly fobbed off. Excuses being Covid related, no medical practitioner available in my area etc. While I can drive under section 88, my new employer won’t accept that and as an essential worker it was causing problems and huge anxiety.
Having sent an email in desperation, I received a letter to allow me to book a medical in my area in just over a weeks time. Its incredibly frustrating and some is beyond their control but somethings not right in the medical department.

my medical license expired last August, an independent medical was requested but couldn’t be provided and I was similarly fobbed off. Excuses being Covid related, no medical practitioner available in my area etc. While I can drive under section 88, my new employer won’t accept that and as an essential worker it was causing problems and huge anxiety.
Having sent an email in desperation, I received a letter to allow me to book a medical in my area in just over a weeks time. Its incredibly frustrating and some is beyond their control but somethings not right in the medical department.
Hiya, can I just ask how long it took to get a medical letter from dvla? I have a medical licence and they confirmed they received my application on 15th December but it’s still waiting to be reviewed. I knew dealing with them would be a pain! It took me 15 additional months just to get my licence in the first place last year but this is ridiculous! No help from them at all

Hiya, can I just ask how long it took to get a medical letter from dvla? I have a medical licence and they confirmed they received my application on 15th December but it’s still waiting to be reviewed. I knew dealing with them would be a pain! It took me 15 additional months just to get my licence in the first place last year but this is ridiculous! No help from them at all
My application for renewal of medical license went in beginning of July, my own GP was contacted and supplied information requested immediately, at beginning of September. I had a letter from DVLA mid September to say an independent medical was required, same as last year so I was expecting it. They have been unable to provide one until just now after emailing medical support to ask for assistance. I have been able to get in for 2 nt February.

My application for renewal of medical license went in beginning of July, my own GP was contacted and supplied information requested immediately, at beginning of September. I had a letter from DVLA mid September to say an independent medical was required, same as last year so I was expecting it. They have been unable to provide one until just now after emailing medical support to ask for assistance. I have been able to get in for 2 nt February.
Jesus sound like a nightmare! Going by that timeline then I imagine they will contact my go next month. My current medical licence expires end of fed and hopefully I will be able to get a medical soon. At least I can drive under section 88 but still the stress this causes is unreal!

I have just sent away application after been refused last year. It sounds like its going to be a long process 😪

Hi there. I recently had my medical and DVLA have written to me telling me i have to provide evidence that I have not had any alcohol for a year. I went to my doctors straight away and logged with then that I have stopped drinking and asked them to do regular testing. They refused to do this saying it’s not NHS work and to speak to the DVLA and ask them what to do. I phoned DVLA and they told me that they need regular testing and I have to provide the evidence??? I explained my doctor was reluctant to do this but they told me to ring the doctor and tell them to ring the DVLA and ask to speak to a doctor in the medical department to explain how to start providing the evidence. I phoned the doctor back, he’s still saying it’s private work but said he would call them.... NEXT THURSDAY!!! That’s another week gone by!!! I’m at my wits end here, how the hell do I prove my abstinence from alcohol?? I’m going to ring the DVLA tomorrow morning and ask to speak to a doctor myself, I can’t wait another week I want to get the ball rolling. Can anyone shed any light on how you prove to the DVLA you have been abstinent from alcohol for a year?
Hiya, the only way I’ve had any success is by pestering them every week & eventually they referred a doctor to take samples & fill in DD2 form which I have a copy if u wish, but the doctor has to be DVLA approved any help I can offer I will just ask, I’ve had a 6 month revoke & ive been waiting 13 months so far

Yes the LFTs are liver function tests, you can get these done at your doctors surgery but you will need to ask your GP first to show DVLA that you are abstaining from alcohol, they are free and they take blood from you and it is annualised at your local hospital, if you are dependant then you will need to show 3/4 spread across your abstination for the year( Jan,may,sept,) all liver function test will be expected to show normal or they will refuse you, the DD2 medical form is sent to your GP (you probably won't see it) and all LFTs are recorded on this medical form along with your last drink date, by the sounds of your post all you are missing are the LFTs but it takes a year to collect them, The M1 form is mental health, do you suffer with depression or anxiety if the M1 not showing stable they can refuse on that too ? However if you have admitted to a drink in between then you will be revoked and the process starts again from the time of that last drink.....once they label you dependant never admit to a drink ever again or they will revoke you...
Hi honest man,I have my medical on the 23rd of this month and havent been worried up until now on reading alot of the posts,I have had an issue about 6 years ago with alcohol although I wasnt dependant was more just binge drinking,and in 2019 had a issue with illegal substances that where logged with my doctor,I habent been on any detox's or anything before,I do get mitrazapine for anxiety and now and again get 2ml diazepam to attend some appointments which can be confirmed by my doctor,I am going to be truthful on my medical questionnaire even tho by readingaome of these posts that seems to have been some people's downfall,I havent had a drink since 2019 do you have any input on what I should do at medical,I know the cdt is goin to be fine but after reading on here it foeant even seem that the outcome of that is relevant if you dont get the right answers from the GP.

Hi honest man,I have my medical on the 23rd of this month and havent been worried up until now on reading alot of the posts,I have had an issue about 6 years ago with alcohol although I wasnt dependant was more just binge drinking,and in 2019 had a issue with illegal substances that where logged with my doctor,I habent been on any detox's or anything before,I do get mitrazapine for anxiety and now and again get 2ml diazepam to attend some appointments which can be confirmed by my doctor,I am going to be truthful on my medical questionnaire even tho by readingaome of these posts that seems to have been some people's downfall,I havent had a drink since 2019 do you have any input on what I should do at medical,I know the cdt is goin to be fine but after reading on here it foeant even seem that the outcome of that is relevant if you dont get the right answers from the GP.
Dee, first thing is don't fret. The medical is a standard procedure where the Dr will check for signs of alcohol misuse in the form of enlarged liver etc., they will check blood pressure and eyes (both for vision and for signs of jaundice). The questionnaire is simple, and you really need to be honest and truthful. I'm pretty sure that most people who have had their downfall with the questions have been due to them being less than truthful. The thing is, somebody saying they are tea-total and they have not drank for 10 years then being contradicted by the medical results or notes with a GP/other agency open up further concerns on behalf of DVLA.

Ensure that your GP is on board with your re-application, make sure they have up to date notes on your current situation so they are not having to rely on old notes. Most GP's are genuinely there to help, so discuss with them and I'm sure everything will be fine!

Dee, first thing is don't fret. The medical is a standard procedure where the Dr will check for signs of alcohol misuse in the form of enlarged liver etc., they will check blood pressure and eyes (both for vision and for signs of jaundice). The questionnaire is simple, and you really need to be honest and truthful. I'm pretty sure that most people who have had their downfall with the questions have been due to them being less than truthful. The thing is, somebody saying they are tea-total and they have not drank for 10 years then being contradicted by the medical results or notes with a GP/other agency open up further concerns on behalf of DVLA.

Ensure that your GP is on board with your re-application, make sure they have up to date notes on your current situation so they are not having to rely on old notes. Most GP's are genuinely there to help, so discuss with them and I'm sure everything will be fine!
Thanks alot mate for you're input and advice is really appreciated,I did speak with my GP and another worker I have who is on board with me although it is a relatively new GP I am now with who said it would be best my worker doing the rey but have checked the dd2 and M2 and it has to be a GMC registered GP who fills in the form,its just the history Ia worried about i know my test will be absolutely fine I just dont want to have to wait another year to show abstinence because of mistakes I made years ago,and if I knew at the time the amount of requirements you need to have to get it back I would have never logged anything with my GP,although at the time I did need the help and get it and now fine,its a horrible feeling.

Thanks alot mate for you're input and advice is really appreciated,I did speak with my GP and another worker I have who is on board with me although it is a relatively new GP I am now with who said it would be best my worker doing the rey but have checked the dd2 and M2 and it has to be a GMC registered GP who fills in the form,its just the history Ia worried about i know my test will be absolutely fine I just dont want to have to wait another year to show abstinence because of mistakes I made years ago,and if I knew at the time the amount of requirements you need to have to get it back I would have never logged anything with my GP,although at the time I did need the help and get it and now fine,its a horrible feeling.
Good luck with your medical Dee.... and I totally agree with you. I went to the doctor back in 2017 because I was feeling so low, hopeless, hated my job etc. I mentioned I was drinking most days. Little did I know at the time but that conversation has led to nothing but problems with the DVLA. I’m still on a 1 year license now as they go back six years. If I’d have known, I would never have gone to the gp for help. It wouldn’t be so bad if I received help for my depression at the time, but you don’t. You just get put on a waiting list for councilling and offered meds!
Funnily enough I was having this conversation with my GP a couple weeks ago, and he totally agreed with me!
Good luck with your application, let us know how you get on.

Good luck with your medical Dee.... and I totally agree with you. I went to the doctor back in 2017 because I was feeling so low, hopeless, hated my job etc. I mentioned I was drinking most days. Little did I know at the time but that conversation has led to nothing but problems with the DVLA. I’m still on a 1 year license now as they go back six years. If I’d have known, I would never have gone to the gp for help. It wouldn’t be so bad if I received help for my depression at the time, but you don’t. You just get put on a waiting list for councilling and offered meds!
Funnily enough I was having this conversation with my GP a couple weeks ago, and he totally agreed with me!
Good luck with your application, let us know how you get on.
Thanks thechief5,what was the medical like what made them contact your GP and what sort of questions where you asked?I would as I just seen another post saying that the person had been 5 months sober prior to hos medical and they just sent him his licence back and said didnt need to contact GP,i would be over the soon even to get the temp licence at least would get me back on the road,its if they refuse and start wanting the year abstinence will be a killer,would the year and a bit I have been sober count for this do you think?ihave been sober for over a year other than literally 2 buds I had at the end of October but that lisnt logged anywer so needless to say I wont be mentioning them as I know other than them I have been sober so my cdt is going to be fine

I would say in most instances they contact your GP, particularly if it’s to get your license back after a while. Yes, your sober date would start from your last drink, which is, as far as they know, over a year ago. Definitely do not mention two lagers from October. As daft as it sounds, they would count, and so if they class you as dependant you wouldn’t get your licence back for a year from that date. In reality it’s much longer than that, by the time they finish their checks.

I would say in most instances they contact your GP, particularly if it’s to get your license back after a while. Yes, your sober date would start from your last drink, which is, as far as they know, over a year ago. Definitely do not mention two lagers from October. As daft as it sounds, they would count, and so if they class you as dependant you wouldn’t get your licence back for a year from that date. In reality it’s much longer than that, by the time they finish their checks.
Ok thank you for your advice,I really hope they dont class me as dependant its misuse at the most even then was just binge a stopped without any detox's or anything like that

Ok thank you for your advice,I really hope they dont class me as dependant its misuse at the most even then was just binge a stopped without any detox's or anything like that
That was the same with me. I was binging, but because I told my GP I was drinking most days for a few weeks, I got classed as dependent, and told to probe sobriety for a year. I asked what the definition of dependent was - because I certainly wasn’t dependant on alcohol. They couldnt give me an answer. Unfortunately the DVLA hold all the cards, and if they class you as dependent or misuse, it’s a real fight to get them to change their mind.
Hopefully, because you e gone over a year already, they won’t class you as dependent, or even misuse. You should be good!

That was the same with me. I was binging, but because I told my GP I was drinking most days for a few weeks, I got classed as dependent, and told to probe sobriety for a year. I asked what the definition of dependent was - because I certainly wasn’t dependant on alcohol. They couldnt give me an answer. Unfortunately the DVLA hold all the cards, and if they class you as dependent or misuse, it’s a real fight to get them to change their mind.
Hopefully, because you e gone over a year already, they won’t class you as dependent, or even misuse. You should be good!
This hole process is a nightmare,when you are banned you should be told this from the start that you are basically on probation for life as far as the dvla are concerned,and definitely the ball is completely in their court,so did you have to show abstinence for a year and if so how did you do so if you dont mind me asking,and personally I just looked at the questionnaire someone else posted and if I answer honestly about the the history I think I will get classed as dependant,so would rather be honest about October rather than it start a full year from when it is refused if this ends up the case,sorry for keep going on but a couldn't get my head round it as I done my ban payed for it for years of misery without my licence and now this

This hole process is a nightmare,when you are banned you should be told this from the start that you are basically on probation for life as far as the dvla are concerned,and definitely the ball is completely in their court,so did you have to show abstinence for a year and if so how did you do so if you dont mind me asking,and personally I just looked at the questionnaire someone else posted and if I answer honestly about the the history I think I will get classed as dependant,so would rather be honest about October rather than it start a full year from when it is refused if this ends up the case,sorry for keep going on but a couldn't get my head round it as I done my ban payed for it for years of misery without my licence and now this

I made it clear I thought they were wrong, but there’s nothing you can do. I just booked in a couple of gp appointments to have a voluntary liver function test. That way you are showing you are not drinking (if you are, just don’t for a week or so before asking for a test). It’s important to get a regular GP, one who understands and will back you. If you don’t go to the same one, there’s a risk anyone can complete the form and that can be dangerous!

I made it clear I thought they were wrong, but there’s nothing you can do. I just booked in a couple of gp appointments to have a voluntary liver function test. That way you are showing you are not drinking (if you are, just don’t for a week or so before asking for a test). It’s important to get a regular GP, one who understands and will back you. If you don’t go to the same one, there’s a risk anyone can complete the form and that can be dangerous!
Thank you for all the replys and advice really has made me be prepared for the having to show abstinence or even another couple of months for misuse,the GP situation is kinda out of my hand it is just a practice I am with however I have an appointment on monday with a GP to update my records and I am going to request this 1 to be dealing with me from now on and be the 1 that fills in the form,the damage is kinda done regarding my past and I will just need to deal with whatever happens and just be wiser if anything ever happens in the future which I hope to god doesnt,my licence means more to me than a drink,thanks again for taking time speakin with me and I will be sure to come back and update after my medical.

I have just sent away application after been refused last year. It sounds like its going to be a long process 😪
Why where you refused if you dont mind me asking,I have my medical in just over a weeks time and never been so stressed and worried in my life

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off