Going for 2nd Renewal - have rules changed?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Paul W

Hi all,

Been lurking for a few years now and this site has helped me keep my sanity. Like many of you I've had the whole jumping through hoops and "computer says no" from the DVLA - in fact I didn't get my 1 year licence back until 5 months after my ban finished and that was with a CDT reading of 0.7% !

Anyway, my question is "has the medical process and rules changed?"

In June 2019 i was granted a 1 year licence, in march 2020 I re-applied but due to covid have been driving under section 88 until my medical which is now next monday (8th March). I am expecting to sail through as I have been tea total since October 2018 (previous I ticked the box that said alcohol dependent so had to do the 12 months dry thing). I have seen a few posts that now suggest the DVLA are asking for 6 years history and no longer three years? Also that 3 monthly LFT tests are needed and i'm a bit confused. Will I get another 1 year licence or perhaps a 3 or 5 year licence this time? Or will it be annual licence for 6 years in total with a medical each year? I tried the DVLA but get the usual response "doctors will make a decision based on evidence".

Any guidance much appreciated - Thank you :)

History
Jilted at the alter July 2017 - stopped next morning after a tip-off from my ex and blew 112
no accident, not speeding, nothing defective, no aggravating factors etc
24 months and £3000 fine (reduced for doing the DD course)
Detox in early 2018
Finally got license for 1 year in June 2019 - medical fine, CDT 0.7%, doctors letter of support etc
Re-applied March 2020 - covid means medical will be 08/03/21

If your medical isOK, you may well just get a 12 month licence again this time.
The LFT’s tests are not so important for subsequent medicals.
You have to watch out that S88 allows you to drive for a maximum of 12 months only from then your application was submitted, so depending on when you started on S88 last march you may well run out of time to use it this March

If your medical isOK, you may well just get a 12 month licence again this time.
The LFT’s tests are not so important for subsequent medicals.
You have to watch out that S88 allows you to drive for a maximum of 12 months only from then your application was submitted, so depending on when you started on S88 last march you may well run out of time to use it this March
Thank you! I wasn't aware the section 88 only lasted a year! Last thing i want is to be stopped again! My papers were submitted 14th March 2020 so i guess the clock is ticking!

It isn’t from when it was sent, it was from when it was received.... of course you cannot know for sure when that was but general law on posting documents say that they are presumed to be received 2 days after posting if first class.

It isn’t from when it was sent, it was from when it was received.... of course you cannot know for sure when that was but general law on posting documents say that they are presumed to be received 2 days after posting if first class.
Hi mate - just an update - spoke to DVLA and they are going to send another D1 form for me to complete which 1) won't affect current application progress (or lack of it) and 2) will re-start the section 88 1 year clock - or so they say :)

Hi mate - just an update - spoke to DVLA and they are going to send another D1 form for me to complete which 1) won't affect current application progress (or lack of it) and 2) will re-start the section 88 1 year clock - or so they say :)
Good advise from a very respected member. You could have been stopped through no fault of your own if the section 88 had gone over the 12 months period.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off