Section 88 and HRO

Convicted Driver Insurance

Alimarie

Hi, I’m not sure if anybody has the answer to this as I’m confused. I had my temp license back last March after I was a HRO. I’ve applied for my renewal license last year and I’ve heard nothing so I rang the DVLA today to chase this. He sent me an email in reference to a section 88 I have my drs full support but am I correct in reading you can’t drive on a section 88 if you were a HRO?

Hi, I’m not sure if anybody has the answer to this as I’m confused. I had my temp license back last March after I was a HRO. I’ve applied for my renewal license last year and I’ve heard nothing so I rang the DVLA today to chase this. He sent me an email in reference to a section 88 I have my drs full support but am I correct in reading you can’t drive on a section 88 if you were a HRO?

You can't drive on the section 88 if you are currently banned as a HRO and awaiting your initial medical and licence issue. Once you were relicenced it is a standard medical renewal now and you are allowed to drive under section 88.

Phew, thank you.
Hi Alimarie,
grice96 is absolutely correct so I wouldn't worry too much. I am still waiting for mine to turn up in the post and in theory, mine should turn up before yours but who knows with the DVLA! Just one point, cover yourself by getting the OK from your GP that you are fit to drive under Secttion 88.

hi - just to add - my documents were submitted in march LAST YEAR (2020) and i've just got me medical through for this monday (8th March) - Section 88 only lasts for 12 months from date documents received by DVLA - my section 88 cover runs out on 14th March - after that I can't drive until a renewal licence is issued. Wonderful DVLA!

hi - just to add - my documents were submitted in march LAST YEAR (2020) and i've just got me medical through for this monday (8th March) - Section 88 only lasts for 12 months from date documents received by DVLA - my section 88 cover runs out on 14th March - after that I can't drive until a renewal licence is issued. Wonderful DVLA!
I can’t believe it’s taken that long I hope it goes ok. Mine is going to take ages then 😫

You couldn't make this up could you? Unbelievable!

Good luck with the medical Paul.

Thanks for the good wishes - should breeze through as tea total since 2018 but who knows!

Just an update - finally managed to speak to someone in complaints at DVLA today and..... they were actually helpful! They are sending another D1 form to complete "just in case my medical is not processed quickly" which, they assure me, restarts the Section 88 clock for another year. Don't want to appear sceptical but I'll believe it when i see it!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off