cdt

Convicted Driver Insurance

jonesy69

Good afternoon , i have just joined the forum , i was banned and classed a high offender 2 years ago , i took a DVLA medical back in feb 2020 having abstained for 2 weeks but drank on average a bottle of wine a day for the previous 6-12 months . My reading then was 4.6 % i have now reapplied and have a medical booked for 22 nd of this month . I didnt drink for the fist 2 weeks of jan then had a bninge day of over 13 units and a couple further drink days of around 4-6 units in between on average 3 days a week of not drinking . I havent drank anything from feb 1st and wont until my medical on the 22nd . Do you think thisi will be sufficient obtaijing a lower reading/accepatable reading ?
I also paid for a private medi checks test which they tested twice and reproted back to me saying that i had abnormal transferin ?? can anyone shed any light on that

Transferin that Medichecks referred to is the element that DVLA look for.... CDT which is the 4.6% that your result was last year. (Carbohydrate Deficient Transferin)
WHAT ACTUAL SCORE DID Medichecks give for Transferin and when was that.
I must say that you have not done yourself any favours with alcohol, having failed the medical a year ago and now asking have you left long enough this time.......

Transferin that Medichecks referred to is the element that DVLA look for.... CDT which is the 4.6% that your result was last year. (Carbohydrate Deficient Transferin)
WHAT ACTUAL SCORE DID Medichecks give for Transferin and when was that.
I must say that you have not done yourself any favours with alcohol, having failed the medical a year ago and now asking have you left long enough this time.......
Hi medi checks weee unable to get any reading from me after checking 2 times with different labs they asked me to get the d v l a lab results so they can see what the difference was

Good afternoon , i have just joined the forum , i was banned and classed a high offender 2 years ago , i took a DVLA medical back in feb 2020 having abstained for 2 weeks but drank on average a bottle of wine a day for the previous 6-12 months . My reading then was 4.6 % i have now reapplied and have a medical booked for 22 nd of this month . I didnt drink for the fist 2 weeks of jan then had a bninge day of over 13 units and a couple further drink days of around 4-6 units in between on average 3 days a week of not drinking . I havent drank anything from feb 1st and wont until my medical on the 22nd . Do you think thisi will be sufficient obtaijing a lower reading/accepatable reading ?
I also paid for a private medi checks test which they tested twice and reproted back to me saying that i had abnormal transferin ?? can anyone shed any light on that

Jonesy69

Regarding you medical on the 22nd February you should be okay (touch wood!) as you've had three weeks abstinence by then. Make sure you don't have any alcohol until after the HRO medical!!!

To be fair 13 units in one sitting is not too bad - it's like five pints of Foster lager. It just depends on what else you have had too? (which maybe you haven't disclosed?)

The other days you mentioned you state you had just 3-6 units which is like a couple of pints of premium lager (like Heineken or Stella) which is fine.

If you are having alcohol free days too that is good, make sure you keep it up. Drinking everyday is not great and as long as you don't play 'catch up' on the days you do have a drink you should be self disciplined enough to get back on the road.

All of us on here have learned the hard way for our crimes. What you need to realise is that this isn't a game with the DVLA - it's fine if you can drink sensibly and modestly these days, however if your CDT rating last year was 4.6% that suggests you were drinking far too much!!!!

One thing I have learned during my ban is to make some serious lifestyle choices and I've cut out booze completely for now. With yourself, drinking a bottle of wine a day is potentially not going to do your health any good and you probably won't get your licence back either at that rate!!!!

As long as you realise, getting you licence back is a privilage not a right. If you have changed your drinking habits since last year then great, but if you haven't and you are still binging a little too much you have to ask yourself which is the most important - having a drink or getting my licence back?

A few repeat drink drivers get their licences back after their first ban and don't necessarily make any positive changes to their drinking habits - then bang - they find themselves caught drink driving again.

Just food for thought but good luck with your medical later this month.

CJ

Jonesy69

Regarding you medical on the 22nd February you should be okay (touch wood!) as you've had three weeks abstinence by then. Make sure you don't have any alcohol until after the HRO medical!!!

To be fair 13 units in one sitting is not too bad - it's like five pints of Foster lager. It just depends on what else you have had too? (which maybe you haven't disclosed?)

The other days you mentioned you state you had just 3-6 units which is like a couple of pints of premium lager (like Heineken or Stella) which is fine.

If you are having alcohol free days too that is good, make sure you keep it up. Drinking everyday is not great and as long as you don't play 'catch up' on the days you do have a drink you should be self disciplined enough to get back on the road.

All of us on here have learned the hard way for our crimes. What you need to realise is that this isn't a game with the DVLA - it's fine if you can drink sensibly and modestly these days, however if your CDT rating last year was 4.6% that suggests you were drinking far too much!!!!

One thing I have learned during my ban is to make some serious lifestyle choices and I've cut out booze completely for now. With yourself, drinking a bottle of wine a day is potentially not going to do your health any good and you probably won't get your licence back either at that rate!!!!

As long as you realise, getting you licence back is a privilage not a right. If you have changed your drinking habits since last year then great, but if you haven't and you are still binging a little too much you have to ask yourself which is the most important - having a drink or getting my licence back?

A few repeat drink drivers get their licences back after their first ban and don't necessarily make any positive changes to their drinking habits - then bang - they find themselves caught drink driving again.

Just food for thought but good luck with your medical later this month.

CJ
Thanks I agree totally with what u say in fact have enjoyed the sobriety during the non drinking period have promised myself to have at least 3 drink free days a week just hope that my current efforts will be enough
Thanks for you’re time and advice

Hi, can I ask how they let you know that you’d failed the medical? Was it by phone or in writing? Thank you

Hi medi checks weee unable to get any reading from me after checking 2 times with different labs they asked me to get the d v l a lab results so they can see what the difference was
How accurate us a medicheck cdt blood test please?

Hi Rob
The Medichecks cdt test is very accurate….you can rely on the result to give you an indication of what the DVLA test will be. Just so you know the results are quite slow coming back, so you may have a few days to wait before Medichecks contact you. I think mine was 8 working days.
Kind regards
Jane

Hi Rob
The Medichecks cdt test is very accurate….you can rely on the result to give you an indication of what the DVLA test will be. Just so you know the results are quite slow coming back, so you may have a few days to wait before Medichecks contact you. I think mine was 8 working days.
Kind regards
Jane
Good morning. Just want to know if you had your blood drawn at a clinic. Or did you do the finger prick. Our mailboxes get emptied at 16:15 and again at 18:30. Just wondering if the sample will be ok in the heat and so long before they receive it?

Hi.
The Medichecks cdt test doesn’t seem to be a finger prick test.
They have three options
1. Find out from them where the nearest clinic they work with is, to have your blood taken for £30
2. Arrange for someone to come to your own home which is an extra £55
3. Arrange for a professional to take your blood sample
I’m not sure if a GP Surgery would take non NHS samples
I am a nurse so was able to ask a colleague to take mine
Even if you have yours taken at a clinic they will give you the sample to post in a priority post box, so no
concerns about the integrity of the sample
It’s a slow process, especially if you’re feeling anxious about the result. But it would give a good indication
about where you’re at.
Have a look at their website
Hope that helps
Jane

Last edited:
Hi.
The Medichecks cdt test doesn’t seem to be a finger prick test.
They have three options
1. Find out from them where the nearest clinic they work with is, to have your blood taken for £30
2. Arrange for someone to come to your own home which is an extra £55
3. Arrange for a professional to take your blood sample
I’m not sure if a GP Surgery would take non NHS samples
I am a nurse so was able to ask a colleague to take mine
Even if you have yours taken at a clinic they will give you the sample to post in a priority post box, so no
concerns about the integrity of the sample
It’s a slow process, especially if you’re feeling anxious about the result. But it would give a good indication
about where your at.
Have a look at their website
Hope that helps
Jane
Thank you very much.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off