DVLA Medical 5th February

Convicted Driver Insurance

MCL123

Hi, just looking for some reassurance if anyone can? I have my HRO medical coming up on the 5th of February 2021. Leading up to this, for quite some months before, (around 3 months), I had stopped drinking. Didn't drink through 2nd lockdown (November) and had a drink for my birthday in December (13th), around 8 cans of premium lager (5%), I then went onto having a couple gins on Christmas day, and around 8 cans (5%) lager on NYE. Obviously I'm not drinking now, therfore my last drink being on NYE. My HRO medical will be on the 5th of February. Can anyone advise if this will be okay, or is it simply too hard to tell?? P.s I'm a healthy and active 31 year old, who eats reasonably well. Would appreciate some positivity please. Thank you.

Hi, just looking for some reassurance if anyone can? I have my HRO medical coming up on the 5th of February 2021. Leading up to this, for quite some months before, (around 3 months), I had stopped drinking. Didn't drink through 2nd lockdown (November) and had a drink for my birthday in December (13th), around 8 cans of premium lager (5%), I then went onto having a couple gins on Christmas day, and around 8 cans (5%) lager on NYE. Obviously I'm not drinking now, therfore my last drink being on NYE. My HRO medical will be on the 5th of February. Can anyone advise if this will be okay, or is it simply too hard to tell?? P.s I'm a healthy and active 31 year old, who eats reasonably well. Would appreciate some positivity please. Thank you.

you should be ok, just continue to stay of the sauce for as long as you can. I know from what I have read having very small amounts of alcohol will not raise CDT levels but in my eyes what’s worth more, a beer or your license?

I did 11 weeks dry and wish I have done longer but hey ho. The medical is fairly straight forward, you have a blood test, the doctor has a feel of your liver to check for swelling (check of the eyes) and answer the questionnaire provided.

one last piece of advice, don’t lie on the questionnaire, if for some reason your blood-scores say one thing and your medical form say another...........let’s just say the DVLA will be on you and your GP like a rash!!

you should be ok, just continue to stay of the sauce for as long as you can. I know from what I have read having very small amounts of alcohol will not raise CDT levels but in my eyes what’s worth more, a beer or your license?

I did 11 weeks dry and wish I have done longer but hey ho. The medical is fairly straight forward, you have a blood test, the doctor has a feel of your liver to check for swelling (check of the eyes) and answer the questionnaire provided.

one last piece of advice, don’t lie on the questionnaire, if for some reason your blood-scores say one thing and your medical form say another...........let’s just say the DVLA will be on you and your GP like a rash!!
Thank you, a bit settling. So you say do not lie, I have no intention of lying, so for instance I just need to be honest about the binges in December right? I mean, I did my full year of abstinence and beyond that, so technically December was at a time I was allowed to drink, and then to spring in on me they say I'm aloud to have a blood test. I've done my time (1yr abstinence) so just hoping the binge doesn't screw it up. Yes of course I wish I had done longer, but it was due at a time of not really knowing what was going on due to you know what!! Thank you :)

Thank you, a bit settling. So you say do not lie, I have no intention of lying, so for instance I just need to be honest about the binges in December right? I mean, I did my full year of abstinence and beyond that, so technically December was at a time I was allowed to drink, and then to spring in on me they say I'm aloud to have a blood test. I've done my time (1yr abstinence) so just hoping the binge doesn't screw it up. Yes of course I wish I had done longer, but it was due at a time of not really knowing what was going on due to you know what!! Thank you :)
I'm a bit confused as to what you mean by "I've done my time (1yr abstinence)"? You mention that you went 3 months without drinking so the 1yr statement doesn't make sense? Also, why is 1yr 'doing your time'? Were you previously classed as dependent and told you need to document 1yr of total abstinence before they would consider reinstating your licence?

If you had the binge in December but your liver was pretty healthy before that, the likelihood is that your CDT levels will be fine as long as you continue to abstain until Feb. If you were classed as dependent, then I'm afraid that getting a block of 12 months alcohol free isn't enough, DVLA expect those classed as dependent to document (prove) total abstinence of at least 12 months, followed by never drinking again! They will subject you to medicals for the following 6 years generally, and even any mention of a spoonful of sherry trifle in that time would see them revoke the licence again.

I'm a bit confused as to what you mean by "I've done my time (1yr abstinence)"? You mention that you went 3 months without drinking so the 1yr statement doesn't make sense? Also, why is 1yr 'doing your time'? Were you previously classed as dependent and told you need to document 1yr of total abstinence before they would consider reinstating your licence?

If you had the binge in December but your liver was pretty healthy before that, the likelihood is that your CDT levels will be fine as long as you continue to abstain until Feb. If you were classed as dependent, then I'm afraid that getting a block of 12 months alcohol free isn't enough, DVLA expect those classed as dependent to document (prove) total abstinence of at least 12 months, followed by never drinking again! They will subject you to medicals for the following 6 years generally, and even any mention of a spoonful of sherry trifle in that time would see them revoke the licence again.
Hi Tom, I went 1yr abstinence from August 2019 to August 2020, was meant to have a blood test August/September 2020, which didn't happen for obvious reasons. I then went onto have a drink in December 2020, so yes I see the confusion. The 3 months was meant to be from September through to December, so yes my bad for the typo. So 15 months abstinent, that's where I meant and beyond the 1yr.

Hi Tom, I went 1yr abstinence from August 2019 to August 2020, was meant to have a blood test August/September 2020, which didn't happen for obvious reasons. I then went onto have a drink in December 2020, so yes I see the confusion. The 3 months was meant to be from September through to December, so yes my bad for the typo. So 15 months abstinent, that's where I meant and beyond the 1yr.
OK, I understand. However you are not 15 months abstinent, you are 5 days abstinent!!! You can't just add up all of the days you didn't drink and add them together!

So were you classed as dependent, is that why you have this 12 month thing in your head?

OK, I understand. However you are not 15 months abstinent, you are 5 days abstinent!!! You can't just add up all of the days you didn't drink and add them together!

So were you classed as dependent, is that why you have this 12 month thing in your head?
Yes 5 days abstinent, you stand correct.

Yes classed as dependant therefore had to prove 12 months of no drinking, which I completed with viable evidence from my GP, and communication between my GP and DVLA.

I'm not on here to argue or receive negative comments, seems you are just having a dig. All I'm asking is people's views as to whether they think my CDT levels will be raised after 15 months of no alcohol and then having a binge in December. Thanks

Yes 5 days abstinent, you stand correct.

Yes classed as dependant therefore had to prove 12 months of no drinking, which I completed with viable evidence from my GP, and communication between my GP and DVLA.

I'm not on here to argue or receive negative comments, seems you are just having a dig. All I'm asking is people's views as to whether they think my CDT levels will be raised after 15 months of no alcohol and then having a binge in December. Thanks
I'm not having a dig, I'm just trying to understand what your situation is, any comments are not meant to be negative, they are honest opinions - sorry if you only want the good news!!!!

As you have been classed as dependent, you have to currently be abstinent for at least 12 months, and you are also required to abstain for life. As you drank on 31/12/2020, you cannot legally obtain a licence until at least 1/1/2022. At your medical you will be asked when you last had a drink, and how much you drink generally. Your CDT will be scrutinised further, general consensus on this forum is that you need a score of less than 1% once classed as dependent.

I'm not having a dig, I'm just trying to understand what your situation is, any comments are not meant to be negative, they are honest opinions - sorry if you only want the good news!!!!

As you have been classed as dependent, you have to currently be abstinent for at least 12 months, and you are also required to abstain for life. As you drank on 31/12/2020, you cannot legally obtain a licence until at least 1/1/2022. At your medical you will be asked when you last had a drink, and how much you drink generally. Your CDT will be scrutinised further, general consensus on this forum is that you need a score of less than 1% once classed as dependent.
My medical was due August/September 2020 like I stated, I did previous to that go 12 months abstinent, that further extended 3 months beyond that, due to Covid/lockdown. I have not read anywhere that you have to go abstinent for life, just 12 months NO ALCOHOL and with proof from my GP, which I have proved, my GP has also been requested to prove that to DVLA, therfore resulting in a blood test (which I knew I had to do anyway).

My medical was due August/September 2020 like I stated, I did previous to that go 12 months abstinent, that further extended 3 months beyond that, due to Covid/lockdown. I have not read anywhere that you have to go abstinent for life, just 12 months NO ALCOHOL and with proof from my GP, which I have proved, my GP has also been requested to prove that to DVLA, therfore resulting in a blood test (which I knew I had to do anyway).
OK, you know best!

Mcl123,
Your problem is that DVLA will want evidence of you being abstinent for 12 months LEADING UP TO THE APPLICATION.
Otherwise someone could say “well I abstained for a year in 2017, so that is proof I abstain...”
your drinking over christmas will be classed as binges and may result in your licence being refused, or at best you getting a 12 month licence, after which DVLA will require you to have another medical with evidence of abstaining (during that actual 12 months) and another 1 month licence. This process can go on for up to 6 years.
Whilst the expectation from DVLA is that a person with alcohol dependence does not drink alcohol (yes for as long as they have a licence) in practice they do not check beyond the 6 years maximum.

Your blood CDT score is unlikely to be raised from your drinking at Christmas / New Year by February 5th.
I don't think people are giving negative comments, just honest opinions, in many cases based on their own experience. Tea and sympathy is for the pub and your mates but on here you will get honest, but maybe blunt, answers to your questions.

Mcl123,
Your problem is that DVLA will want evidence of you being abstinent for 12 months LEADING UP TO THE APPLICATION.
Otherwise someone could say “well I abstained for a year in 2017, so that is proof I abstain...”
your drinking over christmas will be classed as binges and may result in your licence being refused, or at best you getting a 12 month licence, after which DVLA will require you to have another medical with evidence of abstaining (during that actual 12 months) and another 1 month licence. This process can go on for up to 6 years.
Whilst the expectation from DVLA is that a person with alcohol dependence does not drink alcohol (yes for as long as they have a licence) in practice they do not check beyond the 6 years maximum.

Your blood CDT score is unlikely to be raised from your drinking at Christmas / New Year by February 5th.
I don't think people are giving negative comments, just honest opinions, in many cases based on their own experience. Tea and sympathy is for the pub and your mates but on here you will get honest, but maybe blunt, answers to your questions.
Hi price1367,

The thing is the evidence has already been presented to the DVLA that I have completed 12 months abstinence, that was completed via my Dr back in August. I then went onto the next step wich was as expected, a CDT blood test. Your notes to me are clear and paints the picture though. Thank you

Can I ask, did you pass the CDT test then?

From what you have said here, there is no way your cdt will be raised by your drinking last month. 3 weeks should be enough for a normal result. You have longer than that. Lots of scaremongering on here. I just would not, and cannot stress this enough, mention that you had a drink for your birthday and on New Year’s Eve, as they are likely to refuse you a license which in my eyes you’ve worked darn hard to get back.
Good luck

From what you have said here, there is no way your cdt will be raised by your drinking last month. 3 weeks should be enough for a normal result. You have longer than that. Lots of scaremongering on here. I just would not, and cannot stress this enough, mention that you had a drink for your birthday and on New Year’s Eve, as they are likely to refuse you a license which in my eyes you’ve worked darn hard to get back.
Good luck
I haven’t seen any scaremongering. All the comments have been that the CDT score should be OK on February 5th.
But the negative aspect haas been the christmas / New year drinking aspect. Lying might help, but might also hinder if there is anything that comes to light to refute the claim to be 18 months abstinent.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off