DVLA and medical declaration

Convicted Driver Insurance

Exp1988

Good afternoon all,

Sorry if this has been covered before but after much searching I am not finding answers to the questions I need clarifying (this includes speaking with my doctor and the DVLA who have both give answers that differ)

I was banned in June 2015 for 12 months for drink driving, again in January 2017 for refusing to provide a specimen of breath for analysis (expired and is due for removal in January 2021 from my license) and finally I was banned again for 42 months in June 2018 for once again for drink driving. I have recently completed the drink drive awareness course and am now abstinent from alcohol and have been for over a year with ZERO intentions of ever drinking again, I guess you could say I am an alchoholic in all but medical diagnosis as I have never been dependant yet my behaviour when consuming is disgraceful and problematic in most areas of my life - therefore I made the decision to not drink again.

Now, I am using the D1 form to get my application in to the DVLA as my ban is due to end in Febuary and as a HRO I can apply 90 days before my ban is up to get my medical out the way. Upon filling in the form it asks about medical conditions - after having spoke with my GP he has assured me I do not need to say I have an alcohol problem or misuse as I do not and have never sought professional help for anything, I just went through a particularly dark period in life and self medicated using alchohol to escape my issues. No worries there and I will fly through a CDT blood sampling test.

There is however history of drug use (cocaine) on my medical record from January 2018, now my understanding is I have to tell the DVLA about this if it has been an issue in the last 3 years, which come January (the month before I can hold a license again) will I be required to tell the DVLA of this?

Finally, I was diagnosed with generalised anxiety and depression and am consequently on medication for this now but have been free of the depression for a while and have completed a CBT course to aid me in dealing with the anxiety issues. Again the GP has assured me that this itself is not something I particularly need tell the DVLA about as it would not affect my ability to drive. He is however, adamant that I inform the DVLA about a period in 2016 where I self harmed. Is this correct?

Would appreciate any help you guys can offer me and if necessary point me in the direction of the correct forms that I can download, print and fill in and submit with my D1 application.

Thanks in advance,

Ellis.

Good afternoon all,

Sorry if this has been covered before but after much searching I am not finding answers to the questions I need clarifying (this includes speaking with my doctor and the DVLA who have both give answers that differ)

I was banned in June 2015 for 12 months for drink driving, again in January 2017 for refusing to provide a specimen of breath for analysis (expired and is due for removal in January 2021 from my license) and finally I was banned again for 42 months in June 2018 for once again for drink driving. I have recently completed the drink drive awareness course and am now abstinent from alcohol and have been for over a year with ZERO intentions of ever drinking again, I guess you could say I am an alchoholic in all but medical diagnosis as I have never been dependant yet my behaviour when consuming is disgraceful and problematic in most areas of my life - therefore I made the decision to not drink again.

Now, I am using the D1 form to get my application in to the DVLA as my ban is due to end in Febuary and as a HRO I can apply 90 days before my ban is up to get my medical out the way. Upon filling in the form it asks about medical conditions - after having spoke with my GP he has assured me I do not need to say I have an alcohol problem or misuse as I do not and have never sought professional help for anything, I just went through a particularly dark period in life and self medicated using alchohol to escape my issues. No worries there and I will fly through a CDT blood sampling test.

There is however history of drug use (cocaine) on my medical record from January 2018, now my understanding is I have to tell the DVLA about this if it has been an issue in the last 3 years, which come January (the month before I can hold a license again) will I be required to tell the DVLA of this?

Finally, I was diagnosed with generalised anxiety and depression and am consequently on medication for this now but have been free of the depression for a while and have completed a CBT course to aid me in dealing with the anxiety issues. Again the GP has assured me that this itself is not something I particularly need tell the DVLA about as it would not affect my ability to drive. He is however, adamant that I inform the DVLA about a period in 2016 where I self harmed. Is this correct?

Would appreciate any help you guys can offer me and if necessary point me in the direction of the correct forms that I can download, print and fill in and submit with my D1 application.

Thanks in advance,

Ellis.

Hi Ellis, the DVLA questionnaires do not ask whether your doctor thinks you should or shouldn't tell them of something, it asks you specific questions. You need to honestly answer the questions, as even unintentionally misleading answers can cause no end of issues in the long run (and theoretically you could be prosecuted for making false statements). I don't think you cannot say that you have not misused alcohol when you say yourself that you were self medicating to escape issues, this is misuse - presumably your GP records will note this? Again your GP is wrong that you don't need to mention depression or anxiety, they ask specifically whether you have had any mental health problems in the last 3 years - both depression and anxiety are mental health issues and should be mentioned. The misuse of drugs will also need to be disclosed as it will come out when they write to the GP.

Answering honestly will not necessarily cause a problem in getting your licence back, especially if you have the full support of your GP. The questionnaire that the GP is sent can be seen by the link below. It asks specifically about the last 6 years regarding drink, and even though the GP thinks that you are now OK, they are under an obligation to provide the correct information - this may contradict your answers if you were to not disclose things.

Link for DD2 questionnaire that DVLA send to your GP - https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/requ...R8030 DD2 attachment.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

Hi Ellis, the DVLA questionnaires do not ask whether your doctor thinks you should or shouldn't tell them of something, it asks you specific questions. You need to honestly answer the questions, as even unintentionally misleading answers can cause no end of issues in the long run (and theoretically you could be prosecuted for making false statements). I don't think you cannot say that you have not misused alcohol when you say yourself that you were self medicating to escape issues, this is misuse - presumably your GP records will note this? Again your GP is wrong that you don't need to mention depression or anxiety, they ask specifically whether you have had any mental health problems in the last 3 years - both depression and anxiety are mental health issues and should be mentioned. The misuse of drugs will also need to be disclosed as it will come out when they write to the GP.

Answering honestly will not necessarily cause a problem in getting your licence back, especially if you have the full support of your GP. The questionnaire that the GP is sent can be seen by the link below. It asks specifically about the last 6 years regarding drink, and even though the GP thinks that you are now OK, they are under an obligation to provide the correct information - this may contradict your answers if you were to not disclose things.

Link for DD2 questionnaire that DVLA send to your GP - https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/616818/response/1476831/attach/7/FOIR8030 DD2 attachment.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1
Thanks for the quick reply, I agree honesty is the best policy, it just seemed so confusing being told one thing by one person and then another by someone else. I will heed the advice and be as transparent as possible with my application.

I have printed off and filled in both a DR1 & an M1 form, should I submit this with my D1 application form? Will it help speed up the process at all?

I have printed off and filled in both a DR1 & an M1 form, should I submit this with my D1 application form? Will it help speed up the process at all?
No, it will not speed things up at all.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off