Hro medical (your experiences)

Convicted Driver Insurance
That is exceptionally quick. I had my medical last Monday - called today and they have not received my Blood Test results. I am now concerned that i will have to go back and do another test.
I had mine on the 21st and my blood report wasn’t uploaded until the 2nd and no ones looked at it yet so don’t worry

Reactions: TPR
That is exceptionally quick. I had my medical last Monday - called today and they have not received my Blood Test results. I am now concerned that i will have to go back and do another test.

It is. She never said they had reviewed them or that any results were uploaded onto the system. She said they had received them, but my file was obviously updated to that affect.

Surely they’d wait for the GP reply before reviewing? In saying that, I’d imagine the blood sample would need to be assessed as soon as it arrived? Who knows. Anyone have any insight?

Does received mean reviewed 🤷‍♂️

I was banned 25 years ago ,How i am still classed as High risk i do not know

1) Date you applied for new licence: 21/09.20
2) Date when you got the letter to book medical:05/10/20
3) Date when you sent letter back to book medical:?
4) Date of Medical:?
5) Date of Results and Outcome:?

Also Please state:

1) Period of abstinence prior to actual medical Date:I have not started yet
2) Drinking habits prior to abstinence period:
at least 8 can of beers a night for the past 25 years

I am going to phone the docs in 4 days time I will stop drinking from tomorrow,I do drive a forklift at work amongst other things like a 360 , dumper .roller,
I will update this when i take the Medical and such like.
I did have an operation last year and they took my Blood and never mention anything about drink

If you are convicted with a reading of 2.5 times the legal limit, or get 2 Dring drive convictions in 10 years or you fail to supply a sample then you are classed as a high risk offender. It doesn’t matter how many years go by before you re apply, that status is still there and a medical is required.
As you were convicted prior to 2013, you are actually allowed to drive whilst the medical process goes through, BUT you should be satisfied that your doctor has no concerns about you driving. By that I don't mean “well he hasn’t said anything (because I haven’t asked), proactively see your GP and get an assurance verbally, and on your medical notes, that he has seen you and he has made an informed decision that he feels you are fit to drive.

I would add that as you have been drinking 100 odd units of alcohol a week for years (which is a dangerously high amount) I would expect that you will show signs of liver damage and this could affect your chances of getting your licence back without tests being required for a 12 month period with regular Liver Function Tests. You should be classed as ‘alcohol dependent’ and abstinence has to demonstrated if this is the case.

I had a full medical less than 1 year ago as I have a lump on my neck which turned out to be an ingrown hair, Chest Xrays and I'm not Alcohol dependant i just have a few cans after work and TBH i would not trust the NHS one bit,
I will update my post

A few cans after work now and then is one thing, 8 cans a day, every day, for 25 years is alcohol dependency. If you don’t believe me, ask your GP..... or DVLA.

Called the doctor, and the receptionist has advised me the DVLA form is private work and they are not doing private work at the moment. Not even down the priority list, simply not doing them.🤦‍♂️

I opened up a bit and told her how desperate I was for my licence and that this form was the only hold up. Told her I need it for work so what she done was provided me with the practices email address and advised to email with my story/request and hope a doctor will take the few minutes to complete and send to DVLA.

I understand the process is probably intended to be lengthy. I understand COVID has a lot to answer for, but I find it so frustrating that when people are trying to get their life back on track, they are simply just forgotten about. Things like this could mess with people’s livelihoods.

Hi all,

Just thought would share experience to see if can assist.

1) Date you applied for new licence: 08/08/2020
2) Date when you got the letter to book medical: 25/08/2020
3) Date when you sent letter back to book medical:
Did via Phone
4) Date of Medical:?
05/10/2020
5) Date of Results and Outcome:
Awaiting results

Also Please state:

1) Period of abstinence prior to actual medical Date:
3 weeks.
2) Drinking habits prior to abstinence period:
4/5 pints a night maybe 2/3 times a week with an odd 'big' Saturday.

Same as everyone else here really, medical was over and done with within 10-15 mins. Few questions about drinking habits, poke around of the liver, check of the eyes and a few balance checks. Dr informed should expect results within 2 - 3 weeks.

Had my medical on Wednesday morning 30th September in West Yorkshire, 2 bus job from home, got there in plenty of time. Lovely lady Doctor who told me how long she had been a GP for and how long she'd be working for DVLA and how busy she was with medicals at the moment trying to catch up for the DVLA, interestingly she said that she had, had a lot of cancellations and she didn't believe they were all because of covid symptoms, we both commented about folk maybe having a binge and then cancelling to see her. She checked my ID, told her I last drank on first week of January this year, had a feel for my liver and said well you're telling the truth that you haven't had a drink as no enlarged liver.

Asked when I last saw my GP and told her January 2019 for a blood test (ended up been vitamin D deficient) I actually took my patient medical records as my GP surgery you can make appointments on line and blood test and prescriptions etc so I printed off my medical records for the last 3 years so she said well I doubt DVLA will contact your GP.

She weighed me and measured my height, she checked my heart rate and my chest and said I had a good heart and a nice sounding clear chest, she wanted to test my eyes so she walked me out to the car park and got me to read a car number plate and joked well it won't be your car number plate since you're banned!

She asked what I was doing afterwards and I said I was off to the supermarket next door to get something for tea and we had a chat about the easiest meals to be prepare and finished off by saying I hope it stays dry for you and don't get rained on before you get home.

All in all in and out in well under 10 minutes.

How does it work with DVLA , when all the hard work is done with chasing up GP etc and getting their forms in , then DVLA letter tells me that I can’t have a medical at the moment due to covid . When checking with the local DVLA approved doctors, they have plenty availability. DVLA still won’t send out the forms to enable a medical. Any ideas how I can overcome this roadblock ?

How does it work with DVLA , when all the hard work is done with chasing up GP etc and getting their forms in , then DVLA letter tells me that I can’t have a medical at the moment due to covid . When checking with the local DVLA approved doctors, they have plenty availability. DVLA still won’t send out the forms to enable a medical. Any ideas how I can overcome this roadblock ?
I think it's pure luck at moment, my 2 year ban is due up on 8th November, I did DD course so I could have been able to drive from 22nd May but no medicals from mid March, only got my medical last week even though the doctor who saw me said she'd been doing DVLA medicals since mid July so I feel like doing DD course was a waste of time, realistically might get my licence back in next week or two by which time I've been realistically banned for 2 years instead of 18months. If I were you I'd just keep chasing DVLA

I think it's pure luck at moment, my 2 year ban is due up on 8th November, I did DD course so I could have been able to drive from 22nd May but no medicals from mid March, only got my medical last week even though the doctor who saw me said she'd been doing DVLA medicals since mid July so I feel like doing DD course was a waste of time, realistically might get my licence back in next week or two by which time I've been realistically banned for 2 years instead of 18months. If I were you I'd just keep chasing DVLA
Thanks for this. My case is just like yours. I’m hoping all the effort will be worthwhile. I’ve done everything by the book. DVlA Docs telling me they can do medical no problem , but need Dvla paperwork. Dvla say they are not sending this for now as there is a Q for DVLA docs appointments Crazy. Something not right.

Thanks for this. My case is just like yours. I’m hoping all the effort will be worthwhile. I’ve done everything by the book. DVlA Docs telling me they can do medical no problem , but need Dvla paperwork. Dvla say they are not sending this for now as there is a Q for DVLA docs appointments Crazy. Something not right.
I think there's been a fair few porkies told by DVLA when I rang up in August (3 months after I could have been driving again if I'd had and passed a medical) they said that there were no medicals taking part in my part of West Yorkshire and that they'd write to me once appointments started again, but last week at my medical the doctor told me that she had restarted doing medicals first week of July, so something's not right somewhere!

Hi all, first time poster. I could have had my license back in 2008 but was in the military so didn’t bother. I was classed as HRO and finally decided to reapply in the 6th September sending off the D1 and a £90 postal order. They have now had this for 5 weeks and I haven’t heard anything at all regarding a medical etc. I appreciate that they may be busy but was just wondering when and how I should contact them to at least ask if everything with my application was ok? I currently still do a lot of work for the MoD and have letters classing me as a key worker. Would any of this help? I really need my license as my new role requires me to travel up and down the country a lot. Thank you in advance.

Bracken79

I'm in the same boat as your good self. I'm bad is up on the 13th December. I sent my D1 off on the 17th September and I've not heard anything as of yet.

Like you, I'm kind of in a situation where I cannot do without my licence too long. I should be okay over Christmas, but I cannot afford to start 2021 being kept from the road.

CJ

Hi all, first time poster. I could have had my license back in 2008 but was in the military so didn’t bother. I was classed as HRO and finally decided to reapply in the 6th September sending off the D1 and a £90 postal order. They have now had this for 5 weeks and I haven’t heard anything at all regarding a medical etc. I appreciate that they may be busy but was just wondering when and how I should contact them to at least ask if everything with my application was ok? I currently still do a lot of work for the MoD and have letters classing me as a key worker. Would any of this help? I really need my license as my new role requires me to travel up and down the country a lot. Thank you in advance.
As you were banned prior to June 2013, if DVLA have received a completed correct application and your doctor has no concerns about your driving, then you can drive for up to 12 months Nader S88 Road Traffic Act 1988 for up to 12 months while the procedures for through.
To be on the safe side so would check with DVLA that your application has been received - if it was list in the post you would not be covered.
Also it would be as well to check with your GP. It isn’t enough to just say “he hasn’t told me not to drive” (but I haven’t asked)

The link is here:

As you were banned prior to June 2013, if DVLA have received a completed correct application and your doctor has no concerns about your driving, then you can drive for up to 12 months Nader S88 Road Traffic Act 1988 for up to 12 months while the procedures for through.
To be on the safe side so would check with DVLA that your application has been received - if it was list in the post you would not be covered.
Also it would be as well to check with your GP. It isn’t enough to just say “he hasn’t told me not to drive” (but I haven’t asked)

The link is here:

I think also note - anyone who is awaiting a short renewal after being an HRO at one time, is no longer in that HRO scheme and if it’s a straightforward application , you should be ok to drive. GPs in my experience will say the DVLA is legally responsible to decide if that person meets the requirements. They will tell u however if in their opinion, you should not drive. It’s a nuance that has never been clear to me.

The link is here:

Is that correct? I really hope so. That’s brilliant and thank you for the heads up. I was just under the impression I had to sit tight. I’ll investigate and be back on here once I have a decision. Thanks again mate. Really appreciate it.

It certainly is a very grey area trying to get your head around the DVLA procedures. I think you would have better luck understanding all the Covid19 restrictions!!!

I sent my D1 via recorded delivery to guarantee it reaches Swansea. I spoke to my GP at the end of last month and she isn't sure if they will contact her before or after the HRO medical. Even so, the DVLA will need to contact me first to establish who my doctor is!

It certainly is a waiting game. I'm going to sit it out until the end of this month - if I haven't heard from the DVLA by then, I'll chase them up.

CJ

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off