Please help me im in bits

Convicted Driver Insurance

Sophiecat7

Yesterday i was arrested for drink driving. I was in the pub and saw a man who looked like my son. My son died at the end of 2018. I got in the car ( was a courtesy car) and flipped it over in a country lane. I blew 73 at the police station. I was kept in overnight. I have PTSD from my cancer diagnosis losung my son and finding my dad dead on the morninv of my sons funeral. I care for my granddaughter 2 days a week who lives 25 miles away.
I am absolutely broken and terrified. I dont want to go to prison. Please help i have had to take diazepam.

It is a very sorry tale.
Do NOT worry about going to prison. For a first time offence you will NOT go to prison or even get a suspended sentence.
What you will get is a 17-23 month ban (your personal circumstances will not prevent this from happening) which can be reduced by up to 23 months if you are offered, and complete, a Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course. Ask the magistrates for the course if you do got get offered one, as it cannot be offered after your case is finished in court.
Biking to look after your granddaughter will not really be an option at 25 miles each way but as a disqualified driver you are allowed to drive an Electric Bike which could make it manageable.
There are organisations that offer help to people struggling with bereavement issues that you could contact.
This is a good one: https://www.cruse.org.uk/

There are people on here who have been through the trauma of drink driving and bad personal circumstances who I am sure will be able to offer some support. You cannot alter what has happened, and you WILl lose your licence so just accept that as inevitable. You cannot change that so your focus should be on dealing with your personal losses.
best withes,

John

It is a very sorry tale.
Do NOT worry about going to prison. For a first time offence you will NOT go to prison or even get a suspended sentence.
What you will get is a 17-23 month ban (your personal circumstances will not prevent this from happening) which can be reduced by up to 23 months if you are offered, and complete, a Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course. Ask the magistrates for the course if you do got get offered one, as it cannot be offered after your case is finished in court.
Biking to look after your granddaughter will not really be an option at 25 miles each way but as a disqualified driver you are allowed to drive an Electric Bike which could make it manageable.
There are organisations that offer help to people struggling with bereavement issues that you could contact.
This is a good one: https://www.cruse.org.uk/

There are people on here who have been through the trauma of drink driving and bad personal circumstances who I am sure will be able to offer some support. You cannot alter what has happened, and you WILl lose your licence so just accept that as inevitable. You cannot change that so your focus should be on dealing with your personal losses.
best withes,

John
Thankyou John. I just feel so traumatised after last night . Obviously i take full responsibility for my actions.
I feel i will be such a hated woman.
Ive let everyone down.
Im just feeling very sorry for myself as ive never been in trouble.

I think the expression is “.....before you judge me, walk a mile in my shoes.”
Take comfort from the fact that no one was hurt. As I said, court will happen, a ban will be given so just accept this. Concentrate on your feelings that you can get help with.

Yesterday i was arrested for drink driving. I was in the pub and saw a man who looked like my son. My son died at the end of 2018. I got in the car ( was a courtesy car) and flipped it over in a country lane. I blew 73 at the police station. I was kept in overnight. I have PTSD from my cancer diagnosis losung my son and finding my dad dead on the morninv of my sons funeral. I care for my granddaughter 2 days a week who lives 25 miles away.
I am absolutely broken and terrified. I dont want to go to prison. Please help i have had to take diazepam.
Hi sorry to hear about your situation and you will feel down and that your whole world has collapsed around you court will happen and you will be banned a fine and a criminal record to boot.dont worry about court and the fine and to a lesser degree the record.if you've still got your job and can pay the rent or mortgage this is a good start.it may not seem like it now but it does get easier believe you me but it does take time and you will adapt.MAKE THE DAYS COUNT DONT COUNT THE DAYS all the best

Thankyou John. I just feel so traumatised after last night . Obviously i take full responsibility for my actions.
I feel i will be such a hated woman.
Ive let everyone down.
Im just feeling very sorry for myself as ive never been in trouble.
Like most of us on here...this forum has been invaluable to me....we ALL made a stupid mistake,and we will learn from it...please stop taking diazepam...you will only feel worse when you come down...Im 3 months into a two year ban, reduced by almost six months when i do the drivers awareness course///the 3 months before i went to court was horrendous, but was made bearable by support from this forum...please use it..

Drink Driving Penalty
Details of offence as provided by you:

Specimen Type: breath
Alcohol Level: between 60 and 89
No previous relevant convictions within the proceeding 10 years
You have not been disqualified two or more times for 56 days or more within the proceeding 3 years
Based on the information you provided above, upon conviction of driving with excess alcohol, Magistrates' sentencing guidelines suggest:

A driving disqualification of 17 - 22 months; and
A Band C Fine and/or a low level community order
Possible High Risk Offender
If the level of alcohol in your system exceeded 87.5 microgrammes per 100 millilitres of breath, or 200 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of blood, or 267.5 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of urine you will be classed as a high risk offender.

High risk offenders are required to take and pass a DVLA Medical before their driving licence will be returned to them upon expiration of their driving driving disqualification.

Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course
All courts usually offer first time offenders the opportunity to take the drink driving rehabilitation course. A court may allow an offender to take the course a second time where there is a good reason to do so. Offenders will not usually be offered a chance to take the course for a third time. Completing the course can reduce any disqualification period imposed by up to 25%.

Enter New Information

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off