GP has been written to

Convicted Driver Insurance

Grantyone

Well Known Member
Afternoon all, I think I am just looking for re assurances as i am now seeing a bit light at the end of the tunnel.

I went for my medical on Friday and it all went fine. No concerns with it. Doctor seemed happy with the physical checks he done and having had my last drink 15 weeks prior, my CDT will be what they are looking for. In fact, it was 0.8 with medichecks beginning of August.

I answered all the questions with honesty and it they all point towards no drink problems at all.

As a HRO though, I knew there was a big chance they’d write to my GP, which DVLA have confirmed they have written out today. A very quick turnaround that to be fair considering my medical was only Friday.

No concerns there at all either. Had it confirmed by my GP 2 weeks ago there are no red flags on my record. No history or references at all to drink at all.

So with the above in mind, it is just a case of seeing the next few weeks out right?🙏

Choking to get back on the road.

You can track the DD2 to your doctors through the doctors secretaries, the medical form itself has a six week window in which to be returned, however if you go through the secretary you can ask for it to be filled out immediately with a doctor of your choice and returned, this then will fast track your form for it to be scanned onto the system which takes five days....

You can track the DD2 to your doctors through the doctors secretaries, the medical form itself has a six week window in which to be returned, however if you go through the secretary you can ask for it to be filled out immediately with a doctor of your choice and returned, this then will fast track your form for it to be scanned onto the system which takes five days....

Thanks for the reply. I’ll call the practice tomorrow to see if it’s arrived, and as you say, request they deal with the form urgently and get it sent off to DVLA for them to do what they need to do.

Just a formality I think, but it adds to the wait.

Received DVLA’s letter today advising they have written to the GP.

They have said it normally takes 4 weeks but I’m going to chase the GP on Monday.

Their bottom line says once the GP form is received it may take some time for their medical advisor to make a final decision. I am hoping that’s a standard line and ‘some time’ doesn’t mean a lifetime 🙄

Just an update on mine. I called DVLA today as after speaking to the GP practice at the beginning of the week and being advised they had stopped all private work, I thought I’d advise DVLA of this.

Their representative was first class to be fair. He pretty much said the GP form was the only thing holding my application up and said he’d personally speak to someone on Monday to see what my options are. He advised his team might call the practice direct and if they still don’t play ball, look at options as it is clearly a situation outweigh my control. He said due to this, my application is being treated with the highest priority.

If the GP simply don’t play ball, is there anyone out there who can advise on what possible ‘options’ there are?

Yes mate , did you get to speak to the GPs secretary ? When the DD2 arrives at the practice the doctors take it in turn to fill the form out as they get £45 per form, you need to speak to the secretary to push this to the GP of your choice and once completed the secretary can fax it back to DVLA......when you get through to the GPs surgery you need to ask for the GPs secretary, these are the hidden shortcuts you don't see that can hurry up your DD2...

Last edited:
Yes mate , did you get to speak to the GPs secretary ? When the DD2 arrives at the practice the doctors take it in turn to fill the form out as they get £45 per form, you need to speak to the secretary to push this to the GP of your choice and once completed the secretary can fax it back to DVLA......when you get through to the GPs surgery you need to ask for the GPs secretary, these are the hidden shortcuts you don't see that can hurry up your DD2...

I never. I called on Monday after I had spoken to the DVLA and advised the practice a letter was winging their way from DVLA. Was just the receptionist I spoke to though. I was advised by her to email the practice with my story however; I didn’t receive an acknowledgment, so when my letter eventually arrived this morning from DVLA, that is when I called them to advise what the GP practice advised.

It is then the DVLA person said they might call direct themselves and if they are unsuccessful as well, they would look at options as it’s out with my control.

What options do you reckon🤔 and by the way, I’m north of the border, so maybe practices work differently? If not, I’ll call again Monday as I said.

I never. I called on Monday after I had spoken to the DVLA and advised the practice a letter was winging their way from DVLA. Was just the receptionist I spoke to though. I was advised by her to email the practice with my story however; I didn’t receive an acknowledgment, so when my letter eventually arrived this morning from DVLA, that is when I called them to advise what the GP practice advised.

It is then the DVLA person said they might call direct themselves and if they are unsuccessful as well, they would look at options as it’s out with my control.

What options do you reckon🤔 and by the way, I’m north of the border, so maybe practices work differently? If not, I’ll call again Monday as I said.
I was in a similar position, not had a medical yet but do have a date where I stopped drinking logged,even though it's just my word (as could anybody's) plus 2 blood tests,one April,One September, both really good,and was finally told by DVLA after they wanted further information from me,that they had written to my GP..
GP wouldn't reply until payment, DVLA wouldn't pay till information and invoice received..
Catch 22!!

Anyway after offering to pay it myself, and against DVLA advice (you may not get your money back),the secretary rang me to say If I paid it they would proceed!!
Paid £40,must have cost them far more in phone calls etc.,and finally they have written back to DVLA!

No outcome as yet,but try offering to pay the fee,it worked for me!
Good luck !

I was in a similar position, not had a medical yet but do have a date where I stopped drinking logged,even though it's just my word (as could anybody's) plus 2 blood tests,one April,One September, both really good,and was finally told by DVLA after they wanted further information from me,that they had written to my GP..
GP wouldn't reply until payment, DVLA wouldn't pay till information and invoice received..
Catch 22!!

Anyway after offering to pay it myself, and against DVLA advice (you may not get your money back),the secretary rang me to say If I paid it they would proceed!!
Paid £40,must have cost them far more in phone calls etc.,and finally they have written back to DVLA!

No outcome as yet,but try offering to pay the fee,it worked for me!
Good luck !

I wouldn’t mind paying the fee. If that’s what it was going to take then what’s 40 quid!

I’ll see if I get anywhere on Monday. The guy at DVLA was first class to be fair - said he’d take ownership of it and chase it up Monday. I should hopefully know more by early next week. They can’t just leave people in limbo - and as is said - the DVLA rep was very sympathetic towards that and said if GP don’t play ball, they’d look at options for me. Whatever they may be who knows.

I wouldn’t mind paying the fee. If that’s what it was going to take then what’s 40 quid!

I’ll see if I get anywhere on Monday. The guy at DVLA was first class to be fair - said he’d take ownership of it and chase it up Monday. I should hopefully know more by early next week. They can’t just leave people in limbo - and as is said - the DVLA rep was very sympathetic towards that and said if GP don’t play ball, they’d look at options for me. Whatever they may be who knows.
Keep us all informed, as I will,the information on this site is invaluable!

Keep us all informed, as I will,the information on this site is invaluable!

The info on here is invaluable mate. No question 👍

I think our situations are slightly different though. There is no set-two with GP and DVLA (yet I suppose 🤦‍♂️) my GP practice have simply said they are not doing private work at the moment. I’m not even at the stage of who pays.

But that is when the guy at DVLA acknowledged that and advised of exploring options.

I will update next week though. As pointed out and as advised by DVLA - it is a case by case basis. Would DVLA ultimately patch the GP report and make a decision based on my medical? Is that possible?

The info on here is invaluable mate. No question 👍

I think our situations are slightly different though. There is no set-two with GP and DVLA (yet I suppose 🤦‍♂️) my GP practice have simply said they are not doing private work at the moment. I’m not even at the stage of who pays.

But that is when the guy at DVLA acknowledged that and advised of exploring options.

I will update next week though. As pointed out and as advised by DVLA - it is a case by case basis. Would DVLA ultimately patch the GP report and make a decision based on my medical? Is that possible?
I've no idea mate,would be interested to know!

I've no idea mate,would be interested to know!

I received a call today from my GP surgery acknowledging my email request to deal with my form.

To their credit, they have advised they are classing it as an urgent request. Never told me exactly when they’ll do it, but they’ll call me when done and are also emailing it to the DVLA instead of posting, which is great.

I am hoping they’ll get it to DVLA this week.

One thing I can definitely say about my experience so far is, when it gets to the ‘business end’ which mine is, it’s very beneficial to be in regular contact with both GP and DVLA and ensure that someone is actively on the job in hand, as opposed to being in a pile waiting to be worked!

I've been chasing up both ends after paying my Surgery the £40 fee,if you've read my previous posts you will know why,and dvla have got the report back...the only issue is it was done by a new gp at my surgery, and he asked me all the questions over the phone,whereas the gp who I had been seeing over this last year has moved on to a different practice, I really hope they proceeded to a medical based on our conversation and only having bloods done from April and the beginning of this month!Both showing no liver problems, and the first showing a ggt of 23 or 24,alt/ast 14 I think,no idea of mcv but no concerns to the gp

Yes when considering a licence DVLA are particularly drawn to GGT as this is the one that's raised with alcohol issues, but with your results you should fly it .....

I couldn’t have explained it better myself well done mate👍

I hope I am not being naive here, but I am of the impression that the doctor will phone me upon completion of the form.

Now although I have already had no red flags confirmed by my GP, I am always one to look for resistances. Do you think I would be right in thinking if there is no need to to run any questions by me, that is confirmation in itself that the form is straightforward and there is absolutely no concerns?

I hope I am not being naive here, but I am of the impression that the doctor will phone me upon completion of the form.

Now although I have already had no red flags confirmed by my GP, I am always one to look for resistances. Do you think I would be right in thinking if there is no need to to run any questions by me, that is confirmation in itself that the form is straightforward and there is absolutely no concerns?

Spell check. Reassurances not resistances 🤦‍♂️

I went through the hoops trying to get a reply from dvla,eventually emailing Tim Burton, after they wanted more information from me regarding misuse..this went on for ages,to be told yes we are going to contact your gp...
After loads more hassle at my gp end,they finally decided to respond to dvla,after I paid the £40,but I asked to speak with the gp prior to the form being returned, maybe speak with your gp to put your mind at rest ..

I went through the hoops trying to get a reply from dvla,eventually emailing Tim Burton, after they wanted more information from me regarding misuse..this went on for ages,to be told yes we are going to contact your gp...
After loads more hassle at my gp end,they finally decided to respond to dvla,after I paid the £40,but I asked to speak with the gp prior to the form being returned, maybe speak with your gp to put your mind at rest ..

I have mate and they confirmed no red flags. But, in this journey there are different people told me different things from receptionists to DVLA reps.

Just want it over the line as you do as well.

I understand everyone is different and. I understand these things huge rightly are a case by case basis, but it’s actually frightening how many wholes there seems to be in the process. How differently GP practices work etc. Probably why the country is fecked 👀

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off