Licence refused, how to prove no alcohol for a year?

Convicted Driver Insurance
I think this is a new strategy the DVLA are playing, but when your high risk the onus is on you to prove your worthy of a licence there is no right to hold a licence , this is why I stated to keep in touch with Doctor throughout,
I was fortunate enough to have foresight and kept contact with Doc and he gave me at least 6 blood checks no hassles

This, sadly, is very true. Safety is paramount to them and we have to prove we are fit.

I have no problem with that, but it doesn't apply to the masses. I bet scores of motorists out there are soaked at 3.0% CDT, but would pass a breath test most mornings.

Fingers crossed your usual GP takes your side and fights your corner. DVLA needs to be challenged and they can't expect you to do it your own. Basically, the DVLA are saying they know better than your GP, and of course, they don't. For the first few years I thought nothing of it, just filled in the forms reapplied and got my licence each year. One year my GP didn't bother to respond to the DVLA for 6 months as he knew I could still drive based in his say-so anyway. Its only the past few years I (and my GP) has decided its all getting a bit silly now and I'm being discriminated against for something that happened 20 years ago. I think it will help you with your GP if you can explain to them all the ways its affecting you, and how much better your lifestyle will be driving again. I'm seeing my GP in the morning to discuss my situation (an annual event as its pretty much the only reason I see him!).

Good luck indeed.

In my case, I failed first medical in Dec, learned early Jan. But it was a mystery as hadn't drank at all - even over Christmas - so I appealed.

So the DVLA wrote to my GP in Feb (few weeks delay to do nails and hair in Swansea, naturally, "sorry did you phone earlier, hun? Yes just wait for us, it is very busy love, just wait for <ooooh yeah I did see that hun, ooooh yeah, he was great but Gareth Gates was better....> anyways lovey just wait for us to write, alternatively you can fax us, be patient now, bye". to explain the high CDT after I appealed, because I hadn't been drinking. In the end was explained due to a combination of strong tranquillizers and mood stabilisers I'd been prescribed as an acute measure, but had since come off; and this took a merry-go round of forms and correspondence between GP and DVLA to determine. The final stage of which was a GP-instructed CDT, which returned the expected result of 1.0%.

But then the DVLA still made me wait until after lockdown (an age as we all know) to do another paid medical. They could have taken the GP 1.0% result, but chose not to. Why even involve GP in the first place, if they don't trust them. ****ing bonkers.

It is exactly this sanctimonious attitude of the DVLA that I abhor, which prompted me to get my MP involved. I wrote 'get Britain moving, yes Boris but not by car'. My medical magically came through very quickly afterwards, and I now have a shiny new, 12-month valid (sadly, but better than nothing) pink piece of card with my gorgeous face on it! :D

So... GP were helpful, to a point. But you really need him to emphasise abstinence on your part. Which he won't if you can't demonstrate. It's amazing what they write in our notes about us.

But these tossers really do play god, in fact I bet they believe someone like Huw Edwards to be god. Bleddy lev him I bet they do luv I bet they do.

I wonder if they kept the cartoon I drew for them, on their 'Advise Us of Any Changes ONLY' return correspondence, of me in one (stationary) car and Dominic Cummins and family in the other, on an "illegal castle day out daddy, yay!", above the caption IS THIS FAIR. I like to think one of them laughed.

Last edited:
I have just called Dvla I have been refused, does anyone now what my next steps are?
All they could tell me was my GP had said I was dependant.
Thanks

YES a documented year with your GP including your LFTs, your last drink date,(as this is when your new temp licence will start from) your DD2 from your GP and your DVLA medical including CDT, any abnormal blood markers will need to return to normal, without your last drink date recorded by your GP then DVLA will not take you seriously and you will be going round in circles, soooo important this medical evidence going forward, sounds mad I know but that's the way forward.....and of course LFTs LFTs LFTs ....
I know this is an older post, i have my last documented drink with my gp as February will this be when my temporary licence start from. I have been labelled dependant (just found out today)

I know this is an older post, i have my last documented drink with my gp as February will this be when my temporary licence start from. I have been labelled dependant (just found out today)
Yes, so whatever the date you gave your GP your new (period review licence) temp licence will start from a day after that date via the 12 months Abstination and LFT tests, once labelled dependant and never admit to a drink again in your life with DVLA or they will revoke you again, sorry for the slow reply been busy.......

Yes, so whatever the date you gave your GP your new (period review licence) temp licence will start from a day after that date via the 12 months Abstination and LFT tests, once labelled dependant and never admit to a drink again in your life with DVLA or they will revoke you again, sorry for the slow reply been busy.......
Thank you for your reply i am going to gef myself booked in for my 1st lft ASAP.

Thanks for your advice (and others ) without this forum I would have not had a clue on what to do. I have arranged for my first LFT next week. I spoke to another GP who was helpful and more understanding. Hopefully I will be back on the road the middle of next year 🙏

Yeah i have a history of alcohol issues.
I am sorry to hear that.... Please don't despair you came a long way and the end is near.. There is lot of help and support provided by all the good people here and hopefully next year you will have your licence back..

Tha
I am sorry to hear that.... Please don't despair you came a long way and the end is near.. There is lot of help and support provided by all the good people here and hopefully next year you will have your licence back..
thank you

Yes, my ban ended in July and then with everything that went on. It took a lot longer for them to make their decision.

how many lfts do you think will be okay, as my last documented drink was March I will be hoping to reapply end of February beginning of March. Thanks

how many lfts do you think will be okay, as my last documented drink was March I will be hoping to reapply end of February beginning of March. Thanks
Usually for dependance then 4 LFTs over the course of the year will be fine all showing normal, DVLA may ask you to attend a number of medicals (I attended 4 for dependance/misuse) throughout the year however these medicals will be free of charge as you are now a medical case.....

Usually for dependance then 4 LFTs over the course of the year will be fine all showing normal, DVLA may ask you to attend a number of medicals (I attended 4 for dependance/misuse) throughout the year however these medicals will be free of charge as you are now a medical case.....
How often should I get the lfts, is it possible to get them done every month. Also do I need to inform the dvla that I will be applying for my licence in February/March time.
Thanks again

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off