Dvla contacting your gp

Convicted Driver Insurance

chrism2800

Established Member
Just to let everyone know,I've managed to get an email back today from dvla,after they requested further information, as I declared previous alcohol misuse or dependency, and mental health, which is mild anxiety, and they are contacting my gp prior to offering me a medical...fingers crossed that my gp is supportive of my application..then I can be offered a medical!

When did you apply? I have heavy drinking on medical file and I've been prescribed anti depressants I put this on the form they have cashed.cheque but haven't heard anything back and the number to call them is not in use Ive been waiting 5 weeks

When did you apply? I have heavy drinking on medical file and I've been prescribed anti depressants I put this on the form they have cashed.cheque but haven't heard anything back and the number to call them is not in use Ive been waiting 5 weeks
mid June,cheque cashed mid July,numerous phone calls and finally an email to,Tim.burton,which prompted a reply

Oh my life this is taking forever do you have tim buttons email or a phone number I could be losing my job because of this I can't believe it's taken you this long just to get a reply and still no medical the DVLA are a joke hope you get a medical soon

Hi all, I am looking for a bit advice.
My DVLA medical in on the 2nd of October. I’ve had a private one done through medichecks beginning of August and that came back 0.8.
Haven’t had a drink since June so expe no dramas at the DVLA one.

However, my question is: is it worthwhile contacting my GP in advance if this medical? I cannot remember the last time I was at my doctors, couldn’t even tell you their name, and definitely haven’t ever been classed as alcohol dependent or having alcohol issues.

With that in mind, I’d have no issues at all with DVLA contacting them, other than the frustrations of any further delays.

Would it be worthwhile getting any sort of assessment done at my GP so it’s their waiting for any DVLA approach? Or could the doctor send this to DVLA simply for their records and it would save DVLA writing out if that was going to be the case?

My ban was up 31st August and really at the stage where I need to get back on the road - and will take on board any advice or experience to help avoid further delays.
Thank you all.

My DVLA medical in on the 2nd of October. I’ve had a private one done through medichecks beginning of August and that came back 0.8.

However, my question is: is it worthwhile contacting my GP in advance if this medical? I cannot remember the last time I was at my doctors, couldn’t even tell you their name, and definitely haven’t ever been classed as alcohol dependent or having alcohol issues.

With that in mind, I’d have no issues at all with DVLA contacting them, other than the frustrations of any further delays.

Would it be worthwhile getting any sort of assessment done at my GP so it’s their waiting for any DVLA approach? Or could the doctor send this to DVLA simply for their records and it would save DVLA writing out if that was going to be the case?

My ban was up 31st August and really at the stage where I need to get back on the road - and will take on board any advice or experience to help avoid further delays.
Thank you all.
I was the same as you, no medical history re alcohol with the GP, nothing out of the ordinary to tell them on the questionnaire either and my doctor wasn’t contacted.

Thank you all.
Seems to be very random why the DVLA contact your GP at the moment, I would throw caution to the wind and have an appointment with the GP just to be safe. Explain you are reapplying for licence and that you wanted to reassure the GP that there were no alcohol or medical issues should the DVLA contact them. If they don't contact your GP then you've possibly wasted a few hours of your life, if they do contact the GP and they say something they shouldn't then it can take weeks/months of your life....

I was the same as you, no medical history re alcohol with the GP, nothing out of the ordinary to tell them on the questionnaire either and my doctor wasn’t contacted.

Can I ask you how long it took after your medical to get back on the road?

Seems to be very random why the DVLA contact your GP at the moment, I would throw caution to the wind and have an appointment with the GP just to be safe. Explain you are reapplying for licence and that you wanted to reassure the GP that there were no alcohol or medical issues should the DVLA contact them. If they don't contact your GP then you've possibly wasted a few hours of your life, if they do contact the GP and they say something they shouldn't then it can take weeks/months of your life....

that was what I was thinking as well. In all fairness though, I can’t for the life of me think what the doctor would say. I’ve never been to a doctor with anything drink related in my life. Without trying to jinx it, if my doctor was called, I would hope that it would be routine. My only concern would be the delay, so with that in mind, I suppose if I got there first, it would potentially speed it up if it ever got to that stage.

Two weeks and two days, I got my license back yesterday 😊 I was very persistent in calling them though, not sure if that made any difference.

Happy days 😁 Absolutely choking to get mine back.

Can I ask what your reading at CDT was and when breathalysed? I read the somewhere on here DVLA contact with your GP could be dependent on what you were when you were breathalysed. No worries if you don’t want to sure, I’d understand. 👍

Happy days 😁 Absolutely choking to get mine back.

Can I ask what your reading at CDT was and when breathalysed? I read the somewhere on here DVLA contact with your GP could be dependent on what you were when you were breathalysed. No worries if you don’t want to sure, I’d understand. 👍
I was, it was on par with my son being born getting into the car for the first time after so long 😂 I’m not sure what my cdt was yet, they wouldn’t tell me. I did 4 weeks with no drink before it though. I blew 97 so it was high!

I was, it was on par with my son being born getting into the car for the first time after so long 😂 I’m not sure what my cdt was yet, they wouldn’t tell me. I did 4 weeks with no drink before it though. I blew 97 so it was high!

i thought medicals were only if you blew over 100🤔 aw well... I was over 100 so I’m guessing maybe that’ll be enough to merit a letter to the GP. I think I’ll play it safe and contact them to see what they say.
Anyway, you’ll be buzzing now your back on the road and quite right! What a feeling it must be. Hoping I’ll be back soon after the medical 🙏🙏

i thought medicals were only if you blew over 100🤔 aw well... I was over 100 so I’m guessing maybe that’ll be enough to merit a letter to the GP. I think I’ll play it safe and contact them to see what they say.
Anyway, you’ll be buzzing now your back on the road and quite right! What a feeling it must be. Hoping I’ll be back soon after the medical 🙏🙏

87.5 I believe to be considered high risk

I was over 100 and they never contacted my gp, I was fast tracked though due to having a job offer on the table and I was due my license back in June and my cdt was under 1%

I was over 100 and they never contacted my gp, I was fast tracked though due to having a job offer on the table and I was due my license back in June and my cdt was under 1%
How long did you stop drinking before your medical?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off