Worried about medical history

Convicted Driver Insurance

Bigtoons

Hi first post. Got my medical in a few weeeks and got the doctor today. I’m so worried about this medical questionnaire I’m tempted to lie and see if I get away with it. Been in hospital and had support for alcohol but been clean now 6 months. Is it worth taking the risk

Lying about your medical conditions to the DVLA is a £1000 fine right off the bat, there are now more people posting about their GP being contacted than not so this is a massive risk. Once you've been dishonest they will never take you at face value again, also you do run the risk of your own doctor informing the DVLA. I would not lie about this.

It will be on your medical records and if the dvla contact your doctor your fooked so please do not lie or could be a mistake you regret for a long time

Hiya Bigtoons
It's like what's already stated?
It's honestly not worth the risk!
However you stopped alcohol 6mths ago there's no way to prove if your
dependency an HRO,,,It's automatically the dvla talk with your GP so lying on the form isn't worth it!
However try not be badged dependant x

Last edited:
Hi first post. Got my medical in a few weeeks and got the doctor today. I’m so worried about this medical questionnaire I’m tempted to lie and see if I get away with it. Been in hospital and had support for alcohol but been clean now 6 months. Is it worth taking the risk
Thursday at 9:32 PM
Dear readers and newcomers, as some of you may be aware by now " especially HROs" that it is becoming increasingly difficult to satisfy DVLA and reinstate your car/motorcycle licence "this is your D1, or your Lorry or bus this is D2 "and even harder to satisfy,upon application for your driving licence then you will need to check with your GP if you are medically fit to drive such a vehicle, what we are seeing a lot of is that the licence holder (or would be) have not visited their GP in a while or in some cases years. After applying for your licence then DVLA will in most cases, definitely HROs and high breath readers write out to your GP with a medical form namely a DD2 or M2 for information related to your alcohol consumption and your mental health and medication taken, if you have no alcohol issues documented with your GP then realistically you have nothing to worry about and DVLA will conduct their investigation and the conclusion should be no alcohol no problem and licence issued, however if you have had or think you have any alcohol issues noted with your GP, remember this could of been a general chat years ago and your GP will record it into your notes, then you need to visit your GP while your application is going through otherwise if DVLA decide to write out to your GP then in most cases you will see a revocation of 6/12 months depending on what's in your GP notes for misuse or dependency, if you have any mental health issues such as anxiety&depression then do not worry as they will write out to your GP but in most cases DVLA are only confirming through your GP that there is no serious unstability and a licence will be issued, (if they tested the uk on this alone we'd all be off the road) to sum it up then please please please visit your GP for support ( if alcohol issues) DVLA will ask for medical evidence and this is in the form of liver function tests over a year ( if dependent) or misuse showing controlled drinking through your GP and no more than 14 units of alcohol spread over 7 days, once liver function tests are complete they should be showing no abnormal blood markers (GGT) this is the enzyme that will show heavy, alcoholic or binge drinking ( DVLA will not issue on abnormal blood markers) and of course the dreaded DVLA medical questionarre DR1, when filling out this form remember no more than 14 units over 7 days, no more than 3 drinks in one sitting (this is classed as misuse) and if you do have a medical coming your way, just abstain from the booze for your lowest possible reading, for dependence DVLA like to see a CDT of not more than 0.9 same really for misuse, however for those who do drink responsibly do not be put off by the medical (as many are) the CDT test is there for harmful persistent drinkers who cannot stop even with a medical due, or heavy drinkers 4/5 cans of fosters a night this will be classed as dependent, I do hope that many of you find this advice very useful (straight from the horses mouth) and I hope to see many of you back on the road soon........at your medical do take pictures of your completed DR1 form and the alcohol audit form as I did and this will help you later on down the line if your issued a temporary licence,( take some one with you if you can you may not think straight) one more thing if you are classed as dependent please document with your GP when you last had a alcoholic drink as this is when your new temporary licence will start from.......

Last edited: Thursday at 9:42 PM

Dear readers and newcomers, as some of you may be aware by now " especially HROs" that it is becoming increasingly difficult to satisfy DVLA and reinstate your car/motorcycle licence "this is your D1, or your Lorry or bus this is D2 "and even harder to satisfy,upon application for your driving licence then you will need to check with your GP if you are medically fit to drive such a vehicle, what we are seeing a lot of is that the licence holder (or would be) have not visited their GP in a while or in some cases years. After applying for your licence then DVLA will in most cases, definitely HROs and high breath readers write out to your GP with a medical form namely a DD2 or M2 for information related to your alcohol consumption and your mental health and medication taken, if you have no alcohol issues documented with your GP then realistically you have nothing to worry about and DVLA will conduct their investigation and the conclusion should be no alcohol no problem and licence issued, however if you have had or think you have any alcohol issues noted wit

h your GP, remember this could of been a general chat years ago and your GP will record it into your notes, then you need to visit your GP while your application is going through otherwise if DVLA decide to write out to your GP then in most cases you will see a revocation of 6/12 months depending on what's in your GP notes for misuse or dependency, if you have any mental health issues such as anxiety&depression then do not worry as they will write out to your GP but in most cases DVLA are only confirming through your GP that there is no serious unstability and a licence will be issued, (if they tested the uk on this alone we'd all be off the road) to sum it up then please please please visit your GP for support ( if alcohol issues) DVLA will ask for medical evidence and this is in the form of liver function tests over a year ( if dependent) or misuse showing controlled drinking through your GP and no more than 14 units of alcohol spread over 7 days, once liver function tests are complete they should be showing no abnormal blood markers (GGT) this is the enzyme that will show heavy, alcoholic or binge drinking ( DVLA will not issue on abnormal blood markers) and of course the dreaded DVLA medical questionarre DR1, when filling out this form remember no more than 14 units over 7 days, no more than 3 drinks in one sitting (this is classed as misuse) and if you do have a medical coming your way, just abstain from the booze for your lowest possible reading, for dependence DVLA like to see a CDT of not more than 0.9 same really for misuse, however for those who do drink responsibly do not be put off by the medical (as many are) the CDT test is there for harmful persistent drinkers who cannot stop even with a medical due, or heavy drinkers 4/5 cans of fosters a night this will be classed as dependent, I do hope that many of you find this advice very useful (straight from the horses mouth) and I hope to see many of you back on the road soon........at your medical do take pictures of your completed DR1 form and the alcohol audit form as I did and this will help you later on down the line if your issued a temporary licence,( take some one with you if you can you may not think straight) one more thing if you are classed as dependent please document with your GP when you last had a alcoholic drink as this is when your new temporary licence will start from.......

Sticky all day long very informative an thanks for taking the time Honestman?

Last edited:
Yeah I know it would be foolish to lie but I has crossed my mind.
I had a really bad year last year with depression and I misused alcohol and ended up in hospital because of it.
I've had 3 liver function tests in the last 6 months and all is good. I just don’t want them to label me dependent as I’m not. Just want to put last year behind me and my depression is sorted now.
I will be honest and I never want to drink again if it comes to that as my licence is to important to me.

Dear readers and newcomers, as some of you may be aware by now " especially HROs" that it is becoming increasingly difficult to satisfy DVLA and reinstate your car/motorcycle licence "this is your D1, or your Lorry or bus this is D2 "and even harder to satisfy,upon application for your driving licence then you will need to check with your GP if you are medically fit to drive such a vehicle, what we are seeing a lot of is that the licence holder (or would be) have not visited their GP in a while or in some cases years. After applying for your licence then DVLA will in most cases, definitely HROs and high breath readers write out to your GP with a medical form namely a DD2 or M2 for information related to your alcohol consumption and your mental health and medication taken, if you have no alcohol issues documented with your GP then realistically you have nothing to worry about and DVLA will conduct their investigation and the conclusion should be no alcohol no problem and licence issued, however if you have had or think you have any alcohol issues noted with your GP, remember this could of been a general chat years ago and your GP will record it into your notes, then you need to visit your GP while your application is going through otherwise if DVLA decide to write out to your GP then in most cases you will see a revocation of 6/12 months depending on what's in your GP notes for misuse or dependency, if you have any mental health issues such as anxiety&depression then do not worry as they will write out to your GP but in most cases DVLA are only confirming through your GP that there is no serious unstability and a licence will be issued, (if they tested the uk on this alone we'd all be off the road) to sum it up then please please please visit your GP for support ( if alcohol issues) DVLA will ask for medical evidence and this is in the form of liver function tests over a year ( if dependent) or misuse showing controlled drinking through your GP and no more than 14 units of alcohol spread over 7 days, once liver function tests are complete they should be showing no abnormal blood markers (GGT) this is the enzyme that will show heavy, alcoholic or binge drinking ( DVLA will not issue on abnormal blood markers) and of course the dreaded DVLA medical questionarre DR1, when filling out this form remember no more than 14 units over 7 days, no more than 3 drinks in one sitting (this is classed as misuse) and if you do have a medical coming your way, just abstain from the booze for your lowest possible reading, for dependence DVLA like to see a CDT of not more than 0.9 same really for misuse, however for those who do drink responsibly do not be put off by the medical (as many are) the CDT test is there for harmful persistent drinkers who cannot stop even with a medical due, or heavy drinkers 4/5 cans of fosters a night this will be classed as dependent, I do hope that many of you find this advice very useful (straight from the horses mouth) and I hope to see many of you back on the road soon........at your medical do take pictures of your completed DR1 form and the alcohol audit form as I did and this will help you later on down the line if your issued a temporary licence,( take some one with you if you can you may not think straight) one more thing if you are classed as dependent please document with your GP when you last had a alcoholic drink as this is when your new temporary licence will start from.......

Very well said ....
Not been on here a while but still read all the stuff...
I
Its all common sense but we all forget our heads at times...

I think all the guys , ladies are correct on this don't lie , but don't offer other information ... period
I had medical on the 3rd.... waited and Dvla wrote to my doctor on the 6th....
Rang Dvla and they said waiting for the doctors reply.
Rang doctors again today stating that Dvla wrote on the 6th and nothing. Spoke to my doctor this morning and he promised me that no form was posted... I stressed I'm waiting for a job on the back of my license. Ps I've had a good relationship with my doctor for over 25yrs..
UPDATE... doctor rang me at 5pm today and went through the process of asking me the questions.... sounds like he was trying to catch me out. Felt very strange....
No history of drink and drugs... no mental health
Just stupid years ago.
Drink plenty up to last year. Bottle of wine a day.
DVLA SAID WAITING FOR DOCTORS REPLY AND IF BLOOD TEST WAS NO GOOD THEY WOULD OF REJECTING OF MY LICENSE
had blood tests last year was drinking loads. But would it effect my kidney results. Not heard anything from the doctor about it...
Anyway honest man and Craig please let me know...
I'm hoping next Friday at the latest...
Ps doctors surgery was a joke. I know Corona etc they left my Dvla letter on the side for 11 days. I was well pissed as they knew a job was waiting in the balance

Yeah I know it would be foolish to lie but I has crossed my mind.
I had a really bad year last year with depression and I misused alcohol and ended up in hospital because of it.
I've had 3 liver function tests in the last 6 months and all is good. I just don’t want them to label me dependent as I’m not. Just want to put last year behind me and my depression is sorted now.
I will be honest and I never want to drink again if it comes to that as my licence is to important to me.
Don't lie my friend it all looks bad... doctors will have to disclose that. Good luck and stay safe

Honestman If they decide to label me dependant will they take September 2019 as my last alcohol drink time and use that as a starting point should they revoke my licence? The doctor has this recorded and I have 3 liver function tests showing I have abstained from all alcohol.

Honestman If they decide to label me dependant will they take September 2019 as my last alcohol drink time and use that as a starting point should they revoke my licence? The doctor has this recorded and I have 3 liver function tests showing I have abstained from all alcohol.
yes they will if its been documented by your gp

Yes, Les is correct anything documented with your GP will count as your medical evidence going forward so well done you For getting that last drink recorded and your liver function tests up to date......

Just an update. My medical was due to take place on the 23rd of March but they called and cancelled it then moved it to the 27th of March due to the coronavirus. They also said as of the following Monday they had suspended ALL DVLA medicals for 3 months. Was vey lucky I got my medical when I did then.
Anyway I have been calling every week now, last time was yesterday and although I am a key worker they have told me its is still being processed. I was honest with my answers during the medical but careful that I did not give the impression of any dependancy.
My ban is due to end on the 29th of April but I can't see this being resolved by then as I expect them to contact my GP.

Will update again once I have more news.

Hi all. This is my first time posting and the title of this thread sums for me. I had a dr10 in 2011 for 9 months and unfortunately again on 26/6/17. My ban is due to end on 26/6/20 but could be delayed due to the covid pandemic. In 2019 I was suffering depression and was drinking a fair bit after losing my business. But I got over the depression and drinking towards the end of 2019. I went counselling for them for 7 months. And in 2020 I have barely touched alcohol. Maybe a a beer or two every month. And I haven’t had a drink for 2 months now as waiting for a medical. I sent my renewal form on 1/4/20 but still nothing has been scanned to DVLA system. But my main concern is will I know I will pass the medical. But in everyone’s opinion will DVLA grant my licence back or will the put me down as misuse or dependant?
I alreay called my gp and told his the above information about counselling and how I have not drank in a while and how my alcohol intake is next to nothing.

Hi, what you can expect is DVLA will write out to your GP because you are a high risk offender, they will send a DD2 to your doctor to find out if there are any underlying alcohol issues or mental health issues, if you have attended counciling for the drink and this has been documented with your GP then it's quite possible DVLA will class you as dependant therefore requiring 12months abstination `along with all their usual other parameters, if there is depression involved then they will investigate this too along with any medication taken.......

Thank you for your response. The counselling was for personal matters and not for drink. I took the advice of my counsellor when I started to reduce alcohol Intake as I was on the antidepressants. So with this in mind will it still be 12 abstinence or classed as misuse? Also what date will they take the abstinence from as I informed my gp it’s already been a few months of not touching a drop.

Hi, what you can expect is DVLA will write out to your GP because you are a high risk offender, they will send a DD2 to your doctor to find out if there are any underlying alcohol issues or mental health issues, if you have attended counciling for the drink and this has been documented with your GP then it's quite possible DVLA will class you as dependant therefore requiring 12months abstination `along with all their usual other parameters, if there is depression involved then they will investigate this too along with any medication taken.......

Hi Honestman.
Got my letter from DVLA today to say they have classed me as dependent (not happy) but it is what it is.
They wrote to my alcohol councillor but I’m confused as to my next steps.
I can’t order the D1 or the D2 as I want my 3.5 - 7.5T licence back along with car and bike. The DVLA website says I can’t order them due to the COVID.
Could I still get these and send from the post office? Also it says I can apply 8 weeks before 12 months abstinence which is only a few weeks away.

I have almost 10 months abstinence and its recorded with my GP. Is it worth asking my GP/Councillor if they will supply new evidence/change their mind to say I misused alcohol as I’ve passed the 6 month threshold for this.

I don’t want to be classed dependant because this means abstinence for life if I remember correctly.

Hi bigtoon

I'm gutted for you mate, bloody nightmare and all seems a long slog, regardless of your medical result that must of been good being 10 months abstinence they still would not have it, my medical is in 8 days and It will work out couple months abstinence but I did suffer depression 4 years ago due to alcohol, not seen doctor for 4 years either but spoke with him couple weeks ago and he was quite supportive about me trying to obtain my licence back, I still think the main results come down to what the doctors say,
Did your answers in the medical stay within the guidelines.

Hi Honestman.
Got my letter from DVLA today to say they have classed me as dependent (not happy) but it is what it is.
They wrote to my alcohol councillor but I’m confused as to my next steps.
I can’t order the D1 or the D2 as I want my 3.5 - 7.5T licence back along with car and bike. The DVLA website says I can’t order them due to the COVID.
Could I still get these and send from the post office? Also it says I can apply 8 weeks before 12 months abstinence which is only a few weeks away.

I have almost 10 months abstinence and its recorded with my GP. Is it worth asking my GP/Councillor if they will supply new evidence/change their mind to say I misused alcohol as I’ve passed the 6 month threshold for this.

I don’t want to be classed dependant because this means abstinence for life if I remember correctly.
Hi mate, sorry to hear, once they class you as dependant there's nothing much really you can do to get it overturned, I tried the misuse road as well with GPs letter instead they classed me as dependant/misuse, with regards to your 3.5` and 7.5 tonne licence you will lose these entitlements, once you have got your medical review licence back for one year (`temp licence) then you will have to prove 3 years abstinent before you can reapply for any HGV......

Hi mate, sorry to hear, once they class you as dependant there's nothing much really you can do to get it overturned, I tried the misuse road as well with GPs letter instead they classed me as dependant/misuse, with regards to your 3.5` and 7.5 tonne licence you will lose these entitlements, once you have got your medical review licence back for one year (`temp licence) then you will have to prove 3 years abstinent before you can reapply for any HGV......
The letter I received said I could apply for my 3.5 -7.5 licence but I need to order the D2 form which they are not sending out at the moment.
I am going to give them a call today as it’s getting confusing.
hopefully I can get the forms from the post office and still send them.
when I reapply will it be as a disqualified driver or as a medical condition as that confusing too?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off