serious insurance problem (please advice)

Convicted Driver Insurance

jimfishman

Many thanks for reading this ,
On 4th December i touched the back of a van , i was in first gear in traffic doing aroun 2 mph . Now hands up i was over limit 44mg not much but however over , I had a look at back of van with driver and could see no damage apart from reflector fell of . This month i have had a letter of intent from his solicitor . I must stress at this point there are no injuries . However he has taken his van to a proffesional garage and the bill was £2.400.00 ,,
now obviously i cant proove this didnt happen , also his solicitor/insurance has said mine probably wont pay as i was over the limit ?
now here is the serious part they are charging me , well claiming against me £10,000.00 ? or if i pay them direct they will reduce this to £7000.00.
i dont know what to do , i really did go up the back of wrong person , as said i was so close to limit ,, they are going out to ruin my life .
Ive got my punishment , ive lost my licence ,
Like i said to my wife , maybe ten years ago a drunk driver hurt one of his friends or a family member ,, now hes found someone to take revenge on .
My life was upside down anyway what with one of my siblings being terminal ill , cant visit him now and was already feeling life not worth living .
Now ive got this ( PLEASE can anyone advice me )
thankyou so much Jim

Your insurance should cover all third party damages unless you were insured with Admiral, Elephant, Bell, Diamond or Tesco car insurance. If you were insured with one of these companies then they will pay out to the third party but they will recover the cost directly from you.

Ring your insurance and see where you stand for the 3rd party claim, no insurance company will cover your car while over the limit but the vast majority of them do pay out for third party damages. If your insurance won't cover then it is your bill to settle as they can prove you ran up the back of him.

Ignore what the other parties’ solicitors are saying, strange that they are willing to ‘reduce‘ the amount by £3000 for a direct payment!
As Grice 96 says, give all the details to your insurers and get them to handle it. They will either pay up, or pay up and try to recover it from you later.

Ignore what the other parties’ solicitors are saying, strange that they are willing to ‘reduce‘ the amount by £3000 for a direct payment!
As Grice 96 says, give all the details to your insurers and get them to handle it. They will either pay up, or pay up and try to recover it from you later.
massive help indeed thanks grice , really

Your insurance should cover all third party damages unless you were insured with Admiral, Elephant, Bell, Diamond or Tesco car insurance. If you were insured with one of these companies then they will pay out to the third party but they will recover the cost directly from you.

Ring your insurance and see where you stand for the 3rd party claim, no insurance company will cover your car while over the limit but the vast majority of them do pay out for third party damages. If your insurance won't cover then it is your bill to settle as they can prove you ran up the back of him.
Hello, are you sure Tesco will chase to recover the costs. I had an drink related incident on tesco policy and contacted me 2 times to pay £2500 in total. I haven't heard anything back from them since August. i am not sure if they are planning to take to court. I heard Admiral will surely chase you.

If its debt recovery it will take some time to catch you up but when they do you can agree a payment plan that suits your budget, the good thing about a debt recovery firm is there is no interest to pay so if you owe 2500 this is what you'll pay but be careful not to p** them off or you will incur further charges.....

Your insurer is legally obliged to pay the third party claim under the Road Traffic Act.

Don't pay anything to anyone else. Don't even talk or write to them other than telling them to contact your insurer.

What insurance company are you with?
Read the policy document and see what is says and drink driving exclusions.

If they do pursue you challenge everything, ask for details, photos of damage, proof of injury claims, etc.
It is likely you can reduce the cost of the claim. Don't rely on your insurer doing it on your behalf. They usually take the easiest route and just pay up.

Most large companies have their own debt recovery departments. A debt recovery management company doesn't have any extra powers to recover the debt. They are usually more persistent, assertive and the dodgy ones could be downright aggressive. They will threaten legal action but threats can be ignored unless you get official notification from the courts. Then you need to seek legal help, Citizens Advice, or agree to pay. The court expects both parties to have tried everything to resolve the case before it gets to court.

I'd be surprised if they use debt recovery companies. This is not just a case of a supplier not being paid for goods/services received.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off