Licence refused, how to prove no alcohol for a year?

Convicted Driver Insurance
I can just advise you an antidepressants, 30mg of citalopram isn't going to be a problem for you as it is quite an entry level antidepressant. My father suffers from psychotic depression and is on 300mg of vensir which is an antidepressant and 300mg of seroquel which is an anti-psychotic and was granted a 3 year licence. Personally if I was in your position I would not be happy with how you've been treated by your GP, they are trying to pass the buck and are not taking responsibility for your case. I would look into changing your doctor and logging exactly what happened with your previous doctor with your new one so there is a record when your next medical comes about. Sorry that you're going through this situation and I can't be of any other help.

Just confirming something Overthinker
What form exactly did the stand in GP complete! There shouldn't be any medical forms own GP' regarding your right to drive! However from my own experience the DVLA insisted I had my doctor's approval to re-apply
Could it of been the DVLA approved female doctor that completed the medical forms

Just confirm something Overthinker what form did the stand in female doctor complete on behalf of you confused as a D1 is self cert but may require a Doctor's approval

Last edited:
They send a form to your doctor asking about your history and it has some alcohol specific questions, I asked my GP about it on the last visit I had with him and he told me it's essentially the same questions they ask you in the medical, any dependence, misuse, has patient ever had a supervised detox, date the patient last drank if they are in the misuse or dependence category etc. It's to check the answers you've given at the medical against what the doctor may know about you. If your doctor doesn't know the answers to these questions, if you have not been regularly seeing them then there can be an issue as Overthinker has said with their standb in doctor. If your doctor answers that they don't know to the questions then the DVLA seem to see this in a negative light judging by what I've read of other people in similar situations.

My solicitor is fixed at £2500 the whole system for HRO's is totally unjust and unfair, the DVLA hold all the power and ther is no route to object that doesnt take months and months. On the flip side there are many people out there who will say if you are a HRO (Like me) we should never get our licenses back, and I can kind of see thier point. But when you are marked as a HRO for one offence or Dependanct for one visit to the Doctor it becomes more questionable. TheDVLA apply a one size fits all criteria and it just doesnt, someone who cant stop drinking should not have a license, anyone could say they dont drink stop for a month or 6 weeks pass the CDT test and drive again. There are other tests (Hair Sample) which gives an indicator or drinking habits over a longer term years which should be employed if they really want to get the Drink Drivers off the road. The emphasis on the Doctors is ridiculus although they do get paid for filling in the DVLA Medical forms by the DVLA, it just wastes thier time. The reall issue sis if we all got together to get the process changed non convicted drink drivers wouyld not support us on the whole as we "are getting what we deserve" in their minds, until they are caught out and then like us cannot believe the power held by the DVLA to make decisions that are affecting so many lives in such a way.

Just to clarify, the “form” I’m saying about is the GP questionnaire sent to them when I tried to renew my one year licence. I was astounded to see (after getting a copy from dvla) that she had said I’d drunk for the previous month at 6 units a day, when in fact I’d only had 2 cans of lager the previous evening, which I would not have mentioned if I’d known about the abstinence rule. She had ticked no to the box asked if I am controlled! She will not back down on this although she has written to change the four to one week. I wish she had had the decency to ask me to be there whilst she was doing the questionnaire, as she only knew me from a previous visit which was unrelated to the form, but when she had strangely asked about my drinking habits. I might be fine now if i’d not admitted the 2 cans! This is the sum total of what I have drunk since I stopped on 3.3.18, so if that’s not control what is?

I intend to write to dvla next week to ask whether her correction letter is to be considered as allowing me to have my licence returned.

I also wonder why my regular doctor gave her the form to do rather than himself?

Hope this is clearer!

HI Pink Elephant our stories are very similar down to the day 7th March when mine was revoked as a HRO like you I was ot aware I had to be sober for 12 months. I have a long correspondence with the DLVA as I keep calling calling and asking was next. But so far its been a latter from my Doc to confirm, a medial questionnaire for me, one from the doc, a private test ( which wasnt asked for by the DVLA and seems to have been a waste of time) and now i await a medical. I know how you feel the whole process is painful, I could understand if I had been caught drink driving again but this seems so unfair just wondered how far your plight had come along?

Take Care be strong and of course you should challenge it.

Hiya, not sure if this will help or if you have your licence back but basically I’m classed as a HRO. I applied to the court to end my DD ban early and they granted this I applied to the dvla for my licence (Feb 2019) did all the questionnaires they contacted my GP and went for a medical. I was open and honest and said I had a problem with alcohol back in 2014 for a period of about 3 months before I asked for help they refused my application even tho my CDT levels came back as 0.8% and notes from my GP to state I’m not dependant and she see no risk with me driving. Dvla said I need to prove 12months abstinence I took them to court and lost the case as dependancy is apparently for life and I have the pleasure of paying over a grand for their court fees plus my own. It will have been 12months free on the 31st December and I called the dvla they sent me all the questionnaires and application (another £90) I called them before sending it back and said what evidence do I need to provide to prove this, they said just fill out the questionnaires this is your evidence and we will contact your GP if needed. Fine did that, 4 weeks past no response so I called and they said we sent you a letter 3 weeks ago (I never got this) it states they have not been able to process my application due to lack of evidence!!! I explained what I was told they said nope need something from my GP and I need to arrange that so I have asked my GP to send a letter within 10 days or my application will he refused. But She will just say what was stated before so I am not holding out much hope! I honestly don’t know what I have to do! It’s impossible to prove without blood tests every month!

More and more we are seeing people losing their licence after their ban due to alcohol misuse or dependence which is putting an extra unlimited time scale on getting their licence back, on the letter they send the only information they include is "when you can provide medical evidence 6/12 months and when your bloods have returned to normal " and then folk are understandably becoming ever more confused as what to do, or who to turn to, through whatever means they are led to this forum which can give out expert advice as to try and make the situation clearer as it can be so confusing, passing the CDT and then being refused with not much of an explanation. For those of you who do/are reading this and are about to reapply for your licence or for those of you who are about to lose your licence do go and see your GP if you have any alcohol issues get your liver function test done and keep having them if needs be so when your licence is due to be reinstated you will have done your homework satisfied the DVLA and you won't be expected to do another ban so to speak, I know it's all about keeping britains roads safe and I agree fully, but people are losing their jobs and suffering uneccasserily AFTER THEIR BAN OR PUNISHMENT and having to serve more unfair time off the road. Please please please prepare well for the DVLA keep up a good rapport with your GP and you will not have to spend that extra time off the road while medical investigations are taking place...abnormal blood markers =liver function test,CDT = abstain from the booze for the lowest possible reading, drinking = 14 UNITS a week spread over 7 days, DD2 = doctors report that is satisfactory, this information will be all your medical evidence prepared for the DVLA and lets all get back on the road a little sooner......

Can anyone advise what my CDT levels need to be to Obtain my licence back? I have been dry for nearly 12months and I did a private check and they are 0.6% which is way below the 1.6% DVLA state (they were 0.8% in April but because I said I had a drink at a New Year’s Eve party 4 months prior they rejected my application as I need to be 12 months abstinent and maintain abstinence for life) but does it need to be 0.0% and is that even possible? Also what evidence is required dvla when I called today to ask exactly what evidence do I need to provide as you say you cannot process my application without evidence and they said only their medical professionals know and they don’t and I’m not allowed to talk to them only my GP can and they won’t give me their number to pass on to my GP she has to call in and ask to be put through to them! It’s a joke I have done an extra year now on top of my ban I have done everything they have asked yet still say not enough evidence! Like what am I meant to do wear a go pro everyday all day and send them a documented year of my life? If they sent me for a medical they would see I’m not dependant and haven’t been for 6 years but they won’t send me for the medical as I haven’t sent evidence to prove to them I haven’t had a drink! So frustrating!

YES a documented year with your GP including your LFTs, your last drink date,(as this is when your new temp licence will start from) your DD2 from your GP and your DVLA medical including CDT, any abnormal blood markers will need to return to normal, without your last drink date recorded by your GP then DVLA will not take you seriously and you will be going round in circles, soooo important this medical evidence going forward, sounds mad I know but that's the way forward.....and of course LFTs LFTs LFTs ....

YES a documented year with your GP including your LFTs, your last drink date,(as this is when your new temp licence will start from) your DD2 from your GP and your DVLA medical including CDT, any abnormal blood markers will need to return to normal, without your last drink date recorded by your GP then DVLA will not take you seriously and you will be going round in circles, soooo important this medical evidence going forward, sounds mad I know but that's the way forward.....and of course LFTs LFTs LFTs ....
Oh and CDT levels need to be below 1%

LFTs are lover function tests? How do I get
One of those? My GP confirmed when I applied last time my last drink was 31st December 2018 as per what I said. My GP have never ran any tests on me just gone off what I said. What is a DD2 form and how do I get one? I filled out the application, the DR1 and the M1 and they said that if they need any further info they will contact my GP but yesterday told me they cannot process my application without any evidence to prove I’m not dependant. Do I just get my Gp to write a letter? To progress my application? As I was meant to get my licence back on the 31st December as that’s when I last had a drink but don’t think that will
hiya, LFT is that a liver function test? How do I get one of those done? My GP knows my last drink was 31st December 2018 and has that on record from when I discussed my application first time round in Feb 2018. What is the DD2 form and how do I get that? I filled out the application, the DR1 and the M1 form and was told that’s all the evidence they needed back in November and it was only when I called them yday as I hadn’t heard anything they told me my application hadn’t been processed because I supplied no evidence. I have asked my GP to call dvla to find out exactly what is required but I don’t know if she will do it? And she is on annual leave for a month after this week, I had no idea they needed any of this even in court when I appealed the first time the doctor just said I need to be abstinent for 12 months and then apply and I will he sent for a medical but they won’t even pass me to that stage without this evidence that they can’t even tell me what it is. I meant be be driving at the end of this month but doubt that will happen. The stress this is causing is unreal

Yes the LFTs are liver function tests, you can get these done at your doctors surgery but you will need to ask your GP first to show DVLA that you are abstaining from alcohol, they are free and they take blood from you and it is annualised at your local hospital, if you are dependant then you will need to show 3/4 spread across your abstination for the year( Jan,may,sept,) all liver function test will be expected to show normal or they will refuse you, the DD2 medical form is sent to your GP (you probably won't see it) and all LFTs are recorded on this medical form along with your last drink date, by the sounds of your post all you are missing are the LFTs but it takes a year to collect them, The M1 form is mental health, do you suffer with depression or anxiety if the M1 not showing stable they can refuse on that too ? However if you have admitted to a drink in between then you will be revoked and the process starts again from the time of that last drink.....once they label you dependant never admit to a drink ever again or they will revoke you...

What I would advise is to get 1 liver function test(providing that it's normal) with your GP and a letter confirming your last drink, and that its been documented with your GP send that to further medical evidence, where they will review your case but weather they will accept 1 LFT I'm not sure,....you can find further medical evidence address on your letter, if not let me know I will dig it out for you....

Yes the LFTs are liver function tests, you can get these done at your doctors surgery but you will need to ask your GP first to show DVLA that you are abstaining from alcohol, they are free and they take blood from you and it is annualised at your local hospital, if you are dependant then you will need to show 3/4 spread across your abstination for the year( Jan,may,sept,) all liver function test will be expected to show normal or they will refuse you, the DD2 medical form is sent to your GP (you probably won't see it) and all LFTs are recorded on this medical form along with your last drink date, by the sounds of your post all you are missing are the LFTs but it takes a year to collect them, The M1 form is mental health, do you suffer with depression or anxiety if the M1 not showing stable they can refuse on that too ? However if you have admitted to a drink in between then you will be revoked and the process starts again from the time of that last drink.....once they label you dependant never admit to a drink ever again or they will revoke you...
I have a personality disorder but mental health is fine and have been discharged from their services. I have not done any liver function tests, so they won’t give me my licence back and I will have to wait another year? Well the won’t send my GP a DD2 form they are not processing my application further unless I can provide evidence from my GP to show I have been abstinent which I have been I have no problem doing that and my 12 months are up in 2 weeks! I can’t wait another year they would of kept me off the road then for over 6 years! I had no idea I had to do liver function tests if I know then I would of done it. I am not even using mouthwash or my normal cough syrup in case if effects any CDT result they send me for how can they dictate my life like this!

The DVLA are not very explanatory I think there is wording somewhere must be backed up by medical practitioner! However it doesn't say LFT checks and GP are none the wiser either about the requirements.

It's about time a STICKY PATITION was created so can be forwarded to some MP that can sort this sorry mess out! It's people's livelyhood that are at stake and the DVLA are still hiding in shadows catching people out instead of simple INFORMATION SHEET!

The DVLA are not very explanatory I think there is wording somewhere must be backed up by medical practitioner! However it doesn't say LFT checks and GP are none the wiser either about the requirements.

It's about time a STICKY PATITION was created so can be forwarded to some MP that can sort this sorry mess out! It's people's livelyhood that are at stake and the DVLA are still hiding in shadows catching people out instead of simple INFORMATION SHEET!
It’s just such a pain! I have done everything they have asked and each time I do what they ask I call back and they change the requirements. My GP won’t call the dvla she said the dvla need to send her a form to fill in. I told dvla this and they said they won’t send her a form without evidence otherwise it’s a waste of their time and money and I said I will pay for the form just send her something and they refused and i said well what do I do then? Dvla said get you gp to write a letter confirming your medically fit to drive and then they can investigate and my gp won’t be required to fill out the DD2. All this for something that happened 6 years ago and they have let a desk doctor brand me as something I’m not and my gp doesn’t think I am either! They think they know better than my own gp! When I took them to court they questions my own doctors qualifications. I get it I committed a crime and I have served my punishment for that and now I’m being punished for asking for help 6 years ago and being honest. This last year the dvla have cost me my job! I’m paying through the nose to get my licence back and it’s pushing me into debt all because they can’t be human about it.

Hi again what you need to do as well is to ask for freedom of information on your case, this info will explain in detail why they have refused you they will send it free of charge and will include all your DVLA medicals including CDT results the M2 & DD2 medical forms and all decisions based on your case, I just received a 125 page report and it makes for interesting reading write to: DVLA SAR Enquiries, DVRE, DVLA, Swansea, SA6 7JL or Subjectaccess.requests@dvla.gov.uk include your name,dob,address and medical ref no on all correspondence......it will help you better understand their decision....

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off