Insurance claims following crash

Convicted Driver Insurance

B.Doyle

My insurance have contacted me to explain personal injury claims (whiplash) have been made by the 3rd party, along with the cost of damage to their car. I think this could amount overall to anything near £10,000. Insurance will want these costs back from me and I haven’t a clue how to pay for them! Any advice would be great in this instance.

Who are you with? The Admiral Group have this clause in their terms and conditions.
You may not have the means now, but they have up to 6 years to sue you if you can be held liable.
Don’t sign anything about them “negotiating on your behalf” until you have had some legal advice.

Hi B.Doyle
I’m in the same situation - you’re with admiral I presume?
Had letters saying the same myself this week. Going to wait and see what happens and seek legal advice.
Been doing some research for people who are in a similar situation and the general advice is don’t sign the indemnity form they send you without first seeking legal guidace.
Read some right horror stories of bills of £50k upwards!

Yeah that’s what I am dreading - a massive bill that I truly can’t pay back. I am with 1st Central insurance. Already had to take just £800 for my car that was worth £10,000. My own fault though so I am just getting on with it and preparing for the worst.

Yeah that’s what I am dreading - a massive bill that I truly can’t pay back. I am with 1st Central insurance. Already had to take just £800 for my car that was worth £10,000. My own fault though so I am just getting on with it and preparing for the worst.

This is what 1st Central say in their policies, which you are deemed to have accepted when you took it out:
“10.13 Drink and drugs
If, following an accident, you or anyone named in the Certificate of Motor Insurance is convicted of driving whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or has a blood or urine alcohol content in excess of the legal limit, or refuses to supply a breath, blood or urine sample when required to do so, the insurer’s liability will be limited to the cover required under the Road Traffic Act and the insurer reserves the right to recover that amount from you.”

https://l-fci-cms.1stcentralinsuran...ding/motor-insurance-policy-wording-pd4-1.pdf

So they will probably not pay for your car, they will pay for the other damage and any injuries but will seek to recover those costs from you.

I’m doing the same. In any case this won’t be resolved quickly but trying to put it out of my mind and focus on getting through the ban and my CS.
Alls I can offer when the bill comes is a payment plan. That or bankruptcy.
Fixing my own car myself and the other drivers car was ten years old and was no where near as damaged as mine.
Been advised both have put personal injury claims in.
I’ve estimated mines gonna cost at least 10k.
But on the other hand no one was seriously hurt. It’s my own stupid fault and I’ve been completely sober since it happened.
Massive, expensive life lesson I guess.

I’ve been completely sober too. Really changed my perspective on everything. I also am just pleased nobody was seriously hurt

It can be tempting to "take your medicine" in these cases but it is crucial to get legal advice and sometimes financial advice in these situations to review what you are agreeing to.

Firstly, the limit on when someone can obtain compensation for an injury is three years from when they became aware of it. There is nothing to stop someone going to their GP in ten years time with a dodgy knee, x-ray it, "oh, it's from that car accident you had a decade ago", back to the insurance company who, unless you limit your liability, will probably come back to you.

Secondly, in injuries that can cause long term adverse effects such as arthritis any solicitor worth their salt will ask for the compensation to be reviewed, often every ten years, to see if extra money is needed.

Your opportunity to bargain and limit your liabilities is before you agree any payments. Don't be railroaded by an insurance company into signing something because it's standard practice/only way we can agree a payment plan.

Thanks tipsy nurse. Great advice as always. Husband is petrified of us loosing our house. Explained insurance situation to solicitor who represented me over DD. He said it won’t come to that and to come back to him when admiral send indemnity form and he’ll take it from there so that’s what’s we are going to do.

Lara.mango, if you can't afford to repay the claim amount as a lump then the insurance company will offer a repayment plan based on your income much like when entering into a repayment plan with a credit card that's overdue or a debt collector. If you can't afford the payment plan that's been offered to you then it's strongly suggested you contact the citizens advice bureau to look at your options as bankruptcy may be an option to consider if the price is like the outcome of some cases on the forums in the 10-60k region. Don't panic yet, just wait on the insurance company to get in contact. I had a bad smash last year when I lost my licence with some bollards and a parked car and the claim has been settled to the car owner and the council to the tune of £3658, thankfully allianz won't be coming after me for it but the settlement amount was not nearly as high as I thought it was going to be.

Does anyone have any update on this situation? I have a similar situation. Thank you.
I have spoken to my insurance company twice today and they say they don't pursue me for 3rd party monies. Not proud of NY of this but this is one less stress.

I have spoken to my insurance company twice today and they say they don't pursue me for 3rd party monies. Not proud of NY of this but this is one less stress.

Admiral is the only company that comes after you for 3rd party costs.

Admiral is the only company that comes after you for 3rd party costs.
Thank you for that. I was so worried. Other half has ditched me after 20 + years marriage even though he has done same and I know many others that have done it but I was caught as they say. I didn't know I was over. Drank night v before just want to die.

It looks like 1st Central insurance do too, according to the posts above, but Admiral are the main one.

This is what 1st Central say in their policies, which you are deemed to have accepted when you took it out:
“10.13 Drink and drugs
If, following an accident, you or anyone named in the Certificate of Motor Insurance is convicted of driving whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or has a blood or urine alcohol content in excess of the legal limit, or refuses to supply a breath, blood or urine sample when required to do so, the insurer’s liability will be limited to the cover required under the Road Traffic Act and the insurer reserves the right to recover that amount from you.”

https://l-fci-cms.1stcentralinsuran...ding/motor-insurance-policy-wording-pd4-1.pdf

So they will probably not pay for your car, they will pay for the other damage and any injuries but will seek to recover those costs from you.
Hi, my son had an accident a couple of years ago, his car was damaged and he was slightly over the drug limit (weed), the driver who was also under the influence refused to wear his seatbelt and sustained some injury.
The insurer 1st Central has now said that his solicitors have put in a personal injury claim and will look to him to recover the costs estimated at £25k, he and we are very worried about this, he is a minimum wage earner will they still pursue the monies??
Anyone with any stories of a similar vein would be of interest, many thanks

Hi, my son had an accident a couple of years ago, his car was damaged and he was slightly over the drug limit (weed), the driver who was also under the influence refused to wear his seatbelt and sustained some injury.
The insurer 1st Central has now said that his solicitors have put in a personal injury claim and will look to him to recover the costs estimated at £25k, he and we are very worried about this, he is a minimum wage earner will they still pursue the monies??
Anyone with any stories of a similar vein would be of interest, many thanks

Was this the case you posted about from 2011? Was 1st Central the other driver's insurance co?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off