CDT Test Fail

Convicted Driver Insurance

Luna2000

Established Member
Has anyone had a Medichecks CDT test that said you were well bellow 2.2% and fell within the Green Zone and then failed the DVLA CDT test all other things being equal i.e total abstinence?

rufus. No. I am going for my DVLA medical tomorrow. I had a Medichecks CDT test last Monday and had a reading of 0.7%. Someone else said that there were a number of different tests and that the cheaper ones were not as reliable as the one that the DVLA use (although no one seems to know exactly what this is.)

The Medichecks test would need to be over 200% innacurate for me to fail tomorrow, so I was just asking on the off chance that someone had had a problem in the past.

And no I am not asking because I have been drinking since Friday and am worried about failing. Totally the opposite. The Medichecks reading has given me a high level of comfort about tomorrows test, but you never know.

if you were 0.7% and havent drank since it can only get lower - you shouldn't have any problem with the test but good luck with the questions

rufus. Thanks.

Test went well.

First thing I was asked to to was complete the SAME DR1 questionnaire that I had already competed when I applied for my licence back. I don't know if they do this to see if you dramatically change anything, but it seems a bit of a waste of time as some of the dates I originally entered will not exactly tally with the dates I put in today as they were rough estimates given what I could remember. My GP has already written to the DVLA in any case prior to the test and the test was only authorised by the DVLA after they had received their report.

The DVLA Dr. then goes over the form with you. There is a Question in Part B of the DR1 form that asks about your GP and Consultant. GP info not a problem, but as I had never had to see a Consultant about any alcohol related issues, I left this blank on my original form. The Dr. at the medical today asked the same question but then added have you had any counselling. Now I did have counselling for a few months about a year ago, but as the question specifically asked for a Consultants name and address I left it blank. Dr. said I should have given them the name of the Counsellor I worked with. So if that is the case, then the form is not very clear. My GP probably mentioned this in his report to DVLA anyway, but the DVLA Dr. wrote it on the form. I'll not be happy of they want another report from the Counsellor.

Height and weight were then taken then blood pressure, then chest was sounded. I have a chest infection just now so she said she would mention that in her report (?). Physical exam entails lying on your back with the Dr. pressing your abdomen to check for swollen liver and spleen (said mine was okay.) Basic eye test i.e "How many fingers am I holding up?" and then asked to follow her finger with my eyes as she moved it around. All good.

I was then given a questionnaire with 10 additional questions on it that were purely subsets of what had already been asked in the DR1 form but each question had a number of answers each with a score from 0 - 5. The only one I answered positively was Question 10 where "has a relative ever advised you cut down my alcohol intake but not in the last year." That gave me a score of 2.

To be honest the entire process seemed pretty basic, and unless I missed something, was practically a re-hash of the DR1 with some very limited health checks carried out.

Blood was taken for the CDT test (my Medichecks test last week was 0.7%,) and the Dr. said this would be mailed to Viacheck today. I asked if she could fax her report through to DVLA and she said yes that wouldn't be a problem but they wouldn't make a decision until the blood test results were available (which I understood.)

It was pretty painless and no one was judgemental in anyway.

rufus. No. I am going for my DVLA medical tomorrow. I had a Medichecks CDT test last Monday and had a reading of 0.7%. Someone else said that there were a number of different tests and that the cheaper ones were not as reliable as the one that the DVLA use (although no one seems to know exactly what this is.)

The Medichecks test would need to be over 200% innacurate for me to fail tomorrow, so I was just asking on the off chance that someone had had a problem in the past.

And no I am not asking because I have been drinking since Friday and am worried about failing. Totally the opposite. The Medichecks reading has given me a high level of comfort about tomorrows test, but you never know.
Good luck with your medical . Can you please tell me what a CDT test result means to someone who has a Beer , and I mean 1 or 2 beers at Xmas only ? I've abused alcohol in the past , hence I've gotta go for my dvla med in three weeks , it was the court's ruling in 1999' when I was banned for 3&1/2 yrs to have a medical should I apply for my license which until now I was never going to but I want my license for emgc reasons as my father's not well . I don't understand the LFT /CDT test at all and where I'm seeing 2% here and 200 there it's confusing me . The last drink I had was Xmas eve this year and I had two pints and not had a drink in 2019. I also have got to do a urine sample as I did use weed 4 years ago , I can't find any answer that I've posted a question about , do you know if they give you urine sample result there at the medical ? I've had a couple of False positives in the past and don't trust those sample pots .All the best for your medical ..

I have just had my cdt results bk at 1.0% and still failed why
What were some of the other answers you gave? Have you ever been hospitalised? When was your last drink? What kind/type of therapy did you have if any. When did you last see your Doctor about your alcohol consumption? Did you ask your GP for a copy of their report to the DVLA? Unfortunately they take these things in the round before. Plus, have they asked you to prove you have been sober for a full year before you can re-apply.

What were some of the other answers you gave? Have you ever been hospitalised? When was your last drink? What kind/type of therapy did you have if any. When did you last see your Doctor about your alcohol consumption? Did you ask your GP for a copy of their report to the DVLA? Unfortunately they take these things in the round before. Plus, have they asked you to prove you have been sober for a full year before you can re-apply.
I was in hospital in 2018 I don't drink more been sober 2 years I can't get in touch with dvla letter sayin can replay in a year

I was in hospital in 2018 I don't drink more been sober 2 years I can't get in touch with dvla letter sayin can replay in a year
I think have a bout 10 blood tests don't at my doctors for liver function all fine

I have just had my cdt results bk at 1.0% and still failed why
CDT is only one of the things that are looked at. Even a 1% reading suggests that there has been some alcohol intake in the near future, therefore if you had been classed as dependent and/or said there was no recent intake of alcohol, then they are aware that they were being mislead. They generally look for below 1% to show very limited or no intake in dependence cases.

If your GP has said they are still concerned about your intake, even with a low CDT result, you could still be classed as dependent and will have to prove another full 12 months of total abstinence.

CDT is only one of the things that are looked at. Even a 1% reading suggests that there has been some alcohol intake in the near future, therefore if you had been classed as dependent and/or said there was no recent intake of alcohol, then they are aware that they were being mislead. They generally look for below 1% to show very limited or no intake in dependence cases.

If your GP has said they are still concerned about your intake, even with a low CDT result, you could still be classed as dependent and will have to prove another full 12 months of total abstinence.
So another 12 months of this bullshit been absent how can I be dependent with a 1.0% don't make any sense to me let's have it right they don't want me to drive my friend as been banned twice for drink an drugs is cdt came back 1.8% they give him it back

So another 12 months of this bullshit been absent how can I be dependent with a 1.0% don't make any sense to me let's have it right they don't want me to drive my friend as been banned twice for drink an drugs is cdt came back 1.8% they give him it back
To quote one of your previous posts from March 5th this year "In my case, I was drinking about 9 units (or 72g of alcohol) a day, just about every day. I had 23 whole days of abstinence and got a reading of 1.0%."

23 days of abstinence when you are classed as alcohol dependent is not enough. These things come back to bite you on the arse. You can either drink or drive, you can't do both and you made your choice!

SORRY - just realised you didn't post that, you quoted someone else.... However, DVLA do not just deny people for no reason, there is some input from an agency suspecting your alcohol intake is not zero. As mentioned, 1% CDT still indicates some alcohol intake, therefore if you were supposed to be abstinent then this gives a probability that you were not. I would request a SAR from DVLA in which you will get a copy of the forms that your GP sent in. This will give you an opportunity to see if mistakes have been made to allow you to contest the decision. I myself was declined for dependence, yet with the help from my GP was able to get them to overturn this and reissue my licence.

Last edited:
To quote one of your previous posts from March 5th this year "In my case, I was drinking about 9 units (or 72g of alcohol) a day, just about every day. I had 23 whole days of abstinence and got a reading of 1.0%."

23 days of abstinence when you are classed as alcohol dependent is not enough. These things come back to bite you on the arse. You can either drink or drive, you can't do both and you made your choice!

SORRY - just realised you didn't post that, you quoted someone else.... However, DVLA do not just deny people for no reason, there is some input from an agency suspecting your alcohol intake is not zero. As mentioned, 1% CDT still indicates some alcohol intake, therefore if you were supposed to be abstinent then this gives a probability that you were not. I would request a SAR from DVLA in which you will get a copy of the forms that your GP sent in. This will give you an opportunity to see if mistakes have been made to allow you to contest the decision. I myself was declined for dependence, yet with the help from my GP was able to get them to overturn this and reissue my licence.
Thanks I have a appointment with gp tomorrow see what he says would I have to give regular blood test but I no the test they give at doctors don't test cdt so what evidence could I give

Whilst DVLA only do CDT testing, they accept that GP’s do not do these so they accept regular LFT tests done by your doctor, plus your declaration that you have been alcohol free for 12 months, plus the DVLA CDT test at the end.

Whilst DVLA only do CDT testing, they accept that GP’s do not do these so they accept regular LFT tests done by your doctor, plus your declaration that you have been alcohol free for 12 months, plus the DVLA CDT test at the end.
How often do you need to do lft tests at doctors

The suggestion is at 3 monthly intervals, but DVLA will not confirm this. People who have been through the process you are going through now and have had LFT tests at 3 monthly intervals have reported success

The suggestion is at 3 monthly intervals, but DVLA will not confirm this. People who have been through the process you are going through now and have had LFT tests at 3 monthly intervals have reported success
I find it a bit strange 1.0% that's in the green zone I looked an it says for high risk offerer depence 2.1% is in the green zone make no sense at all to me can you have a cdt lower than 1.0% what if I get the same next time then this starts all over again

Those indicators are out of date. These days DVLA look for a CDT score UNDER 1%.
1% is not indicative of dependence, but IS indicative of alcohol consumption in someone who has been decided as being dependent and has to prove abstinence.

Those indicators are out of date. These days DVLA look for a CDT score UNDER 1%.
1% is not indicative of dependence, but IS indicative of alcohol consumption in someone who has been decided as being dependent and has to prove abstinence.
What a joke could it be my meds am on way to doctors now to give them the letters tha was ment for them I just spoke to doctors wen I applied for my licence with dvla they didn't ask doctors for any report of evidence

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off