DVLA High Risk Offender Medical

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi I'm due to take my medical, I've received my letter informing me of doctor I should see but im worried as I have to go within 6weeks.. I have just got back from a trip to Amsterdam about 2 weeks ago and had a few crazy nights weed/alcohol.. Will I be tested for cannabis , what would happen if I tested positive , can they withhold my license for cannabis even though I've smoked it legally and haven't been done for DUI ..I've heard it takes up to 2months to clear your system if anyone can shed some light would be great thanks

Hi I'm due to take my medical, I've received my letter informing me of doctor I should see but im worried as I have to go within 6weeks.. I have just got back from a trip to Amsterdam about 2 weeks ago and had a few crazy nights weed/alcohol.. Will I be tested for cannabis , what would happen if I tested positive , can they withhold my license for cannabis even though I've smoked it legally and haven't been done for DUI ..I've heard it takes up to 2months to clear your system if anyone can shed some light would be great thanks

they are only testing for alcohol - they do not do a urine test
they ask during the medical whether you have done any drugs, and it's up to you what you say

So, to give some time of time frame.
I did the dd awareness course and got 3 months off my ban. I had to contact dvla for the D1 form as it wasn't automatically sent out !! I applied with D1 beginning of March. It took six weeks with dvla to send out details of medical dr I had to see. I didn't wait the four days before contacting them as advised as I was worried about any further delays I wouldn't be on schedule to get my licence back 28th may. ( what with Easter holidays and May bank holidays too)
So had my medical Monday. I had half bottle of prosecco in 6 weeks ( Mother's Day) and one small wine on Easter Sunday. And they just tested for CDT not for Lfts or MCV.
The medical dr who did the medical says it shows up alcohol use in last 3-6 months !!! That worried me a bit as there was Christmas AND new year to consider. He said all question I answered on questionnaire showed no cause for concern so just hoping that the CDT test isn't raised and this process of getting my licence back isn't delayed beyond 28th may.

By the way, the courts say midnight 28th may. Is that in the morning of 28th ? ( I know as long as I pass medical and have my licence back through post)

So, to give some time of time frame.
I did the dd awareness course and got 3 months off my ban. I had to contact dvla for the D1 form as it wasn't automatically sent out !! I applied with D1 beginning of March. It took six weeks with dvla to send out details of medical dr I had to see. I didn't wait the four days before contacting them as advised as I was worried about any further delays I wouldn't be on schedule to get my licence back 28th may. ( what with Easter holidays and May bank holidays too)
So had my medical Monday. I had half bottle of prosecco in 6 weeks ( Mother's Day) and one small wine on Easter Sunday. And they just tested for CDT not for Lfts or MCV.
The medical dr who did the medical says it shows up alcohol use in last 3-6 months !!! That worried me a bit as there was Christmas AND new year to consider. He said all question I answered on questionnaire showed no cause for concern so just hoping that the CDT test isn't raised and this process of getting my licence back isn't delayed beyond 28th may.

By the way, the courts say midnight 28th may. Is that in the morning of 28th ? ( I know as long as I pass medical and have my licence back through post)

Hiya Chaotic,

not long now then eh! I really don't think that amount of alcohol would cause your CDT test to be abnormal! I would be amazed if it was! 3-6 months??? I doubt that very much.... also aren't you able to drive under section 88 or whatever it was called (cant find my file)..... My understanding is that you can drive from midnight that day then i.e. in that evening after midnight or to be precise 00.01 on the 29th (someone correct me if im wrong) but that is why a pile of us sat in our cars at that time awaiting our clocks to turn to 00.01!

Keep us updated... :)
Moodle

Hi moodle
Thanks for replying.
Midnight on 28th wouldn't that be 00.00 on the 28th ?
If I waited all day on the 28th to drive I'd get to 23.59.
Midnight would be 00.00 on the 29th ?? Would it not ?
Or am I being thick ?

Hi moodle
Thanks for replying.
Midnight on 28th wouldn't that be 00.00 on the 28th ?
If I waited all day on the 28th to drive I'd get to 23.59.
Midnight would be 00.00 on the 29th ?? Would it not ?
Or am I being thick ?

Hiya I remember getting utterly confused by this, now I've checked 2 things, the first is the letter from DVLA stating my ban ended on the 27th November (a Wednesday) AT midnight...therefore I drove just after on what effectively was the 28th (Thursday) ....I have checked my diary and I note I put on the 27th drive after midnight and remember that I drove that night (Wednesday) because I didn't want my first trip to be a school run on the Thursday (28th)! Hence I sat in my car that Wednesday night (27th) awaiting 00.01 (being the 28th)....

So in my opinion if it states your ban ends AT midnight on the 28th then you cant drive until the end of that day i.e. 00.01 being the start of the 29th! Hope that makes sense!

Regarding the CDT again, I read a lot of info but here are a few snippets....Transferrin is a protein in blood that transports iron. it has side chains of the carbohydrate added of sugar and is basically controlled by 2 enzyme systems , one adds the side chains and one removes them. In normal groups, subjects have 3-5 of these carbohydrate side chains.

To cut a long story short, in the 80s a group in Sweden noted that in individuals misusing alcohol, a higher proportion of the transferrin in the circulation had between 0-2 carbohydrate side chains so hence the term carbohydrate DEFICIENT transferrin or CDT....

It was noted that using CDT in testing for alcohol misuse was advantageous as it was also unaffected by mild alcohol related liver disease or fatty liver caused by diabetes or obesity..(non alcohol related) ..obviously old liver function tests would show elevated figures if you had any of these things (potentially).... It is also unaffected by chronic disease or B12/folate deficiencies that would effect MCV.... Transferrin remains in the system for 7 to 14 days and CDT therefore can give an indication of alcohol consumption over this period of time giving it an advantage over blood or urine alcohol measurements that only remain elevated for 24-48 hours after alcohol consumption.

They found 19 out of 20 times the increased CDT was due to alcohol..

The level of alcohol needed to consume and over what period to increase CDT to 3%... this is 100 - 150g of alcohol a day..which is about 5 pints of beer, a bottle of wine or a third of a bottle of spirits DAILY! the half life is 7-14 days......so if drinking at levels like this I would imagine a good few weeks of total abstaining would be a good move.....

In intermittent drinking or binge drinking it can also increase depending on the type of binging and how frequently. for example someone drinking 200-300g of alcohol 2 days a week but nothing on other days may only have a reading of 1.5 - 3%. Conversely someone having 1 binge in a 14 day period, drinking nothing the rest of the time is unlikely to have a raised CDT as the normal transferrin on the other 13 days thereafter would dilute the CDT from the day of drinking...

The general consensus has been that those adhoc drinkers have got through their medicals...unless of course their idea of having a few drinks is a few bottles and that continued...regularly.... it really seems to be designed to pick up problematic drinking/ers...

Hope this helps...
Moodle

Chaotic,
it is not clear from what you say as to when you are due to drive. You said:
"By the way, the courts say midnight 28th may. Is that in the morning of 28th ? ( I know as long as I pass medical and have my licence back through post)"
you say what the courts said, but not the question that was asked....
if you asked: "when does my driving ban end?" Then you can drive from one minute after midnight, going into the 29th may
if you asked,; "when can I drive from?" Then I think they meant you can drive as soon as the 28th starts, I.e. One minute into the 28th.
as you say, you would need to see what your licence says, or the DVLA authority to drive. It will show the date that your licence starts, and you can certainly drive as soon as that date starts, not when it ends.

Moodle:
we were both doing our answers at the same time, and we both agree!
you are also spot on with the CDT information.

Last edited:
Chaotic,
it is not clear from what you say as to when you are due to drive. You said:
"By the way, the courts say midnight 28th may. Is that in the morning of 28th ? ( I know as long as I pass medical and have my licence back through post)"
you say what the courts said, but not the question that was asked....
if you asked: "when does my driving ban end?" Then you can drive from one minute after midnight, going into the 29th may
if you asked,; "when can I drive from?" Then I think they meant you can drive as soon as the 28th starts, I.e. One minute into the 28th.
as you say, you would need to see what your licence says, or the DVLA authority to drive. It will show the date that your licence starts, and you can certainly drive as soon as that date starts, not when it ends.

Moodle:
we were both doing our answers at the same time, and we both agree!
you are also spot on with the CDT information.

Haha, thank you Price :) This question had my cogs whirring....
I very cleverly put unleaded in my new diesel car yesterday! Apparently people do this every 4 minutes....been driving (other than my 6 month ban), since I was 20 (I'm 46) and NEVER done this....expensive error.......cost more than my £145 fine for being drunk in charge! Still, it isn't an offence thankfully....sigh. (It's my age)...
:)
Moodle

Hi
I am hoping to get some advice.
I was banned 10 years ago for drink driving and I have never applied again until now. For the past 8 weeks I have been completely tee total and during this time have been doing some pretty extreme cycling, upto 40 miles on a heavy bike and ruck sack at a hard pace. (not fot the dvla but for my own fitness). Before being tee total I was drinking large amounts of carling lager, never anything else such as spirits or ciders just carling.

I have applied for my licence and phoned dvla today to ask about the progress and they have informed me that my letter for a medical was sent on monday. It has been exactly 8 weeks today of being tee total and will be at least another week maybe 2 before I can afford to do the medical so will be either 9 or 10 weeks without a single drop of alcohol in my body.

Is the level of excersise and the time (9 or 10 weeks) going to help me to get a green pass mark? I went to see my doctor a year ish ago about anxiety and he automatically assumed it was alcohol related and sent me for a liver function test that i didnt attend as i have a problem with needles so ideally id like to pass the blood test with a good result

Also how far back do the questions go that they send to your doctor, assuming it was over a year ago that i was sent for a liver function test would they ask about it or do they go back further with the doctor? And how far back do the questions go back that i will have to answer on the medical questionaire?

Is there anywhere i can see a basic idea of the questions i will have to answer?

Any info would be great! Thanks

Regards
Phil

As far as CDT is concerned, the recommended safe period of abstinence is 12 weeks. In other words, if you abstain for that amount of time then your CDT levels will be under 2.2 regardless of prior drinking patterns. Any period of abstinence that is less than 12 weeks can put you at risk. You might be okay, you might not be. So if you want to be sure then it needs to be 12 weeks.

With regards to cannabis then I would imagine that you are on dangerous ground. If they test you for it, then you will have a problem. I'm not sure if they do test everyone or if it is just random. The fact that you smoked it legally would be irrelevant. It is illegal in the country which you are applying for a licence. Plus, they would only have your word that you did consume it in a country where it was legal. Its like if you drove across boarder into Scotland, and then narrowly failed a breath test, that you would have passed in England; you would still be prosecuted right?

I wouldn't rate your chances as great, if you consumed heavy alcohol and drugs in the last six weeks, and are about to undergo a DVLA medical.

M

Hi Guys

I started this thread almost 3 years ago but did not get round to doing the medical. Been working abroad and haven't needed to drive.
However I am back now and do need to drive - Rapido !

I have been good with my drinking so don't have any real worries but would like to do a Mock / Practice test first, just to be on the safe side. I have spoken to the DVLA appointed doctor who is happy to do it for £160.00. Not Cheap.

On the other hand I have found medichecks advertising on this forum quoting £79.00.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for these people, it is half the price and I wonder if it just too good to be true. Not wishing to cause offence but for all I know it could be some spotty faced teenager in his bedroom scamming away. I do hope not !

I would love to hear some good endorsements for this outfit, this is an important test that I need to get right first time.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys

I started this thread almost 3 years ago but did not get round to doing the medical. Been working abroad and haven't needed to drive.
However I am back now and do need to drive - Rapido !

I have been good with my drinking so don't have any real worries but would like to do a Mock / Practice test first, just to be on the safe side. I have spoken to the DVLA appointed doctor who is happy to do it for £160.00. Not Cheap.

On the other hand I have found medichecks advertising on this forum quoting £79.00.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for these people, it is half the price and I wonder if it just too good to be true. Not wishing to cause offence but for all I know it could be some spotty faced teenager in his bedroom scamming away. I do hope not !

I would love to hear some good endorsements for this outfit, this is an important test that I need to get right first time.

Thanks.

You can read about a forum members experience using Medichecks here.

In short they purchased a CDT test from Medichecks which produced a result of 0.9% CDT.

They also had a different CDT test performed which involved visiting a hospital to provide a blood sample, this test produced a result of 1% CDT and cost nearly twice the price of a Medichecks CDT test.

The CDT blood test they had as part of the DVLA medical produced a result of 0.9% CDT, the same result as from Medichecks.

Last edited:
H,
Thanks for the swift reply however on Saturday the link provided in your post enabled me to read just page 1 of 6. The other page links were broken.

Today the link is broken full stop.

I note that member "White43" took a Medichecks test that reported 0.9%, he then went on a 24 unit binge, next he got a result of 1.0% from "Privatebloodtests"
Finally he got his licence back with a DVLA reading of 0.9%. - Seems he can do no wrong ?!

We really are not comparing "apples" with "apples" here. "Clinically obese" "Diabetic" ..... add to that the prescribed & non prescribed medication (vitamins etc) then making any comparison with our 2 lives and expected results would be reckless at best.

Judging by the very regular advertising / sponsorship of Medichecks on this site I did anticipate more than one single piece of feedback, and that from a moderator, from the numerous members here.

Perhaps some one with similar circumstances to me:
I am male, 5'10" average build, reasonably fit and healthy, Gym 3+ times a week, not on any medication, no disabilities. Have abstained from drinking for the past 4 weeks and will continue to do so at least until I get my licence back.

In an ideal world I would love to hear from someone that took a Medichecks test after a short period of abstinence and got (for example a reading of 1.5%) then a week or 2 later (still abstinent) did the real DVLA thing and got a similar or lower reading that confirmed the validity of the Medichecks result as being reasonable and accurate.

All feedback welcome - Good and Bad.

H,
Thanks for the swift reply however on Saturday the link provided in your post enabled me to read just page 1 of 6. The other page links were broken.

Today the link is broken full stop.

All links in my previous post work fine for me, which link are your referring to that doesn't work?

I note that member "White43" took a Medichecks test that reported 0.9%, he then went on a 24 unit binge, next he got a result of 1.0% from "Privatebloodtests"
Finally he got his licence back with a DVLA reading of 0.9%. - Seems he can do no wrong ?!

We really are not comparing "apples" with "apples" here. "Clinically obese" "Diabetic" ..... add to that the prescribed & non prescribed medication (vitamins etc) then making any comparison with our 2 lives and expected results would be reckless at best.

Judging by the very regular advertising / sponsorship of Medichecks on this site I did anticipate more than one single piece of feedback, and that from a moderator, from the numerous members here.

Perhaps some one with similar circumstances to me:
I am male, 5'10" average build, reasonably fit and healthy, Gym 3+ times a week, not on any medication, no disabilities. Have abstained from drinking for the past 4 weeks and will continue to do so at least until I get my licence back.

In an ideal world I would love to hear from someone that took a Medichecks test after a short period of abstinence and got (for example a reading of 1.5%) then a week or 2 later (still abstinent) did the real DVLA thing and got a similar or lower reading that confirmed the validity of the Medichecks result as being reasonable and accurate.

All feedback welcome - Good and Bad.

The links I provided actually point to white43's post as he provided a detailed account of his experience with private CDT blood testing compared to the CDT blood test used as part of the DVLA medical. Regardless of any medical condition white43 may have (or any other variable for that matter), the fact still remains that his medichecks CDT blood test produced a result of 0.9%, his CDT blood test from privatebloodchecks produced a result of 1% and his final CDT blood test as part of the DVLA medical produced a result of 0.9%. Consistent results from all three CDT blood tests with the middle test results being slightly higher due to binging on alcohol.

Medichecks do not sponsor this web site. We advertise their CDT blood test as it is a useful, accurate, affordable and reliable service that many web site users have benefited from. Privatebloodchecks used to charge a similar price to Medichecks who charge £79, privatebloodchecks are now currently charging [strike]£162.25[/strike] £149.25. A CDT blood test from medichecks remains an affordable option for people who have an upcoming DVLA medical and want piece of mind concerning their CDT levels.

There are many posts on the forum from users who have had a CDT blood test done via Medichecks, unfortunately many forum users only use the forum up until the point they receive their driving licence and once they do, they no longer post. This is why you will find posts from users right up until the point they pass their medical, stating their private CDT test results etc. Once they obtain their driving licence, the majority never use the forum again.

If any forum member reading this has had both a medichecks CDT blood test and a CDT blood test as part of the high risk offender DVLA medical and knows the results from both tests then please share them as the information will be useful for others.

Last edited:
My story so far …

10 July 2014 – Caught drink driving (113 in breath)!

4 August 2014 – Court case (worst day of my life)! 24 months ban / £100 fine / Community Order (drink drive rehabilitation course)

October 2014 - Attended the Aspire private driving course to reduce my ban by 25% to 18 months. I also attended a speed awareness course because I received a speeding fine on my doormat the very next day after I had spent a night in a police cell can you believe – how’s your luck!

I will just add here that I am a 49 year old female who had a clean driving licence for 30 years until I made a very stupid mistake!

I drank over the Christmas/New Year period 2015/16 as everyone does!

14 January 2016 – I took a DVLA medical blood test CDT result 2.3% (Amber) so DVLA contacted my GP. NB: I went to see my GP in
March 2015 after my ban because I was concerned I was drinking too much, obviously my GP reported this to the DVLA and therefore my licence application was refused!

23 May 2016 – Had CDT tests done via Medichecks result 0.7%.

10 June 2016 - I reapplied for my licence (after 6 months) as I thought my GP reported that I had been mis-using alcohol (the letter from the DVLA is not very clear), however my GP had actually diagnosed me as ‘Alcohol Dependent’ therefore my application was refused again. (I am not and never have been alcohol dependent, obviously mis-using alcohol but certainly not dependent).

25 November 2016 – Had another CDT test done via Medichecks result 1.0%.

1 December 2016 – Sent my driving licence application to the DVLA (third time lucky I hope)!

I have been reading this forum since my licence application was refused last February 2016 and I wish I had read it sooner as I certainly would not have had any alcohol over Christmas last year, nor contacted my GP about my alcohol consumption concerns.

I am still in the process of waiting for my licence and as you can imagine I was gutted to have it refused twice. A 24 month ban, reduced to 18 months by doing the course, has now actually been a 2½ year ban. (Aaargh)!

Incidentally I have not read any posts where anyone have had their licence application refused – everyone seems to get their licence first time, so it appears to be only me with this terrible experience!

I decided to register and state my case as I see you say that once people get their licence back they don’t seem to post anymore which I guess I can understand.

Anyway my experience of Medichecks is great – they are quick, accurate and the website where they post your results is really good. I can most certainly recommend them for peace of mind!

My story so far …

10 July 2014 – Caught drink driving (113 in breath)!

4 August 2014 – Court case (worst day of my life)! 24 months ban / £100 fine / Community Order (drink drive rehabilitation course)

October 2014 - Attended the Aspire private driving course to reduce my ban by 25% to 18 months. I also attended a speed awareness course because I received a speeding fine on my doormat the very next day after I had spent a night in a police cell can you believe – how’s your luck!

I will just add here that I am a 49 year old female who had a clean driving licence for 30 years until I made a very stupid mistake!

I drank over the Christmas/New Year period 2015/16 as everyone does!

14 January 2016 – I took a DVLA medical blood test CDT result 2.3% (Amber) so DVLA contacted my GP. NB: I went to see my GP in
March 2015 after my ban because I was concerned I was drinking too much, obviously my GP reported this to the DVLA and therefore my licence application was refused!

23 May 2016 – Had CDT tests done via Medichecks result 0.7%.

10 June 2016 - I reapplied for my licence (after 6 months) as I thought my GP reported that I had been mis-using alcohol (the letter from the DVLA is not very clear), however my GP had actually diagnosed me as ‘Alcohol Dependent’ therefore my application was refused again. (I am not and never have been alcohol dependent, obviously mis-using alcohol but certainly not dependent).

25 November 2016 – Had another CDT test done via Medichecks result 1.0%.

1 December 2016 – Sent my driving licence application to the DVLA (third time lucky I hope)!

I have been reading this forum since my licence application was refused last February 2016 and I wish I had read it sooner as I certainly would not have had any alcohol over Christmas last year, nor contacted my GP about my alcohol consumption concerns.

I am still in the process of waiting for my licence and as you can imagine I was gutted to have it refused twice. A 24 month ban, reduced to 18 months by doing the course, has now actually been a 2½ year ban. (Aaargh)!

Incidentally I have not read any posts where anyone have had their licence application refused – everyone seems to get their licence first time, so it appears to be only me with this terrible experience!

I decided to register and state my case as I see you say that once people get their licence back they don’t seem to post anymore which I guess I can understand.

Anyway my experience of Medichecks is great – they are quick, accurate and the website where they post your results is really good. I can most certainly recommend them for peace of mind!

Thank you for sharing your experience. It would be helpful if you could request the actual CDT blood test result from the DVLA once you have done your medical and let us know what it is?

You should hear from the DVLA soon regarding arranging your medical, if it is going to be after Christmas before you can take the medical are you planning on being T-total over the holiday period? Good luck with it and keep us updated.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It would be helpful if you could request the actual CDT blood test result from the DVLA once you have done your medical and let us know what it is?

You should hear from the DVLA soon regarding arranging your medical, if it is going to be after Christmas before you can take the medical are you planning on being T-total over the holiday period? Good luck with it and keep us updated.

I will most definitely find out the result from the DVLA medical and let you know what it is. From 18th December 2015 to 4th January 2016, I drank white wine on 12 out of the 18 days. My last drink was on 4th January and I went for the medical on 14th January so 10 days abstinence was definitely not long enough. I had no idea about the CDT test and what it was. I had previously had liver function tests which were fine so I assumed I would be OK. I even put £500 deposit on a new car (which I lost) because I really believed I would have my licence back on 3rd February 2016. (One should never assume)!

This whole experience for me has been dreadful. I've been totally consumed by it all since the arrest. It could have been lots worse. I am full of remorse about what I did. I was caught at 2am where there were no pedestrians or other cars (except the police car of course) so it could have been a worse outcome.

I have paid the price and certainly learnt my lesson. The humiliation as I was in the local newspaper, having to declare an unspent conviction on job applications as I am a contractor, having to take a taxi to and from the station every day and stuck at home without a car. It's been an absolute nightmare!

I will remain t-total before my next medical. In fact I have remained t-total since my licence was refused in February. People shouldn't stay sober just for a blood test, they should learn from this experience, but it's easy for me to say - everyone is different and has a different story to tell.

I must say this Forum has been a great help for advice (even as a silent member until now). Price is especially helpful. Knowing other people are in same situation also helps, not a great situation to be in and one never to be repeated!

Hello,

I just wanted to give you an update as I said I would.

I sent the Medichecks CDT test result taken on 25 November to my GP when I told her that I had applied for my driving licence.

I sent my application on 1 December. DVLA wrote to my Doctor on 8 December. My Doctor faxed her questionnaire together with my Medichecks CDT result on 12 December. I thought the DVLA would still send me for their own medical but they didn't. I kept checking the website and on Monday 9 January my licence has been issued!!!! Albeit a 12 month licence I was over the moon.

I am guessing I will have to go for another medical next year but I can't tell you how pleased I am to have my freedom back and lesson learnt and never to be repeated.

This forum is a great help for us in this awful situation. The Solicitors advice is so helpful.

From now on it's 'none for the road'

Thanks so much all.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off